Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just failed emmision on my 1991 204DL. The car has 254,000 miles on it and running great but failed NJ inspections. THe emmisions report states the following

GAS STANDARD READING RESULT
NOx 1006 1539 FAILED
HC 132 38 PASSED
CO% .73 .36 PASSED

From the reading the others low compared to the NOx

Any ideas of why or how to fix would be gladly accepted.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Replace your O/2sensor Then fill up with high test fuel and add 1 liter of methal hydrate. Run on highway for 15min or so and go through test again. These tests are nothing but a money grab at best and are very inflexible. It becomes a game of can I beat the system once more. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this problem, so I used "guarenteed to pass" additive, ran a full tank of it, went back for the test and passed on the mark. It was so close to failing again that it could have gone either way, however the score was much better than before.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just had the same problem with getting my 240 inspected.

When you change your oxygen sensor you can go with a 3 wire universal sensor that will save you about 30-60 bucks depending on where you look. It's pretty simple to splice in with insulated butt connectors with shrink tubing and you dont have to mess with the long wire going up to the firewall. I picked up a special oxygen sensor socket that made it pretty easy. I passed after that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
had the same problem with my old one that sat too much ... drove it every day for two weeks with premium fuel in it then took it out on the freeway and ran it as fast as I dared (which for me was well in excess of the speed limit but you use your own judgement) and took it in for the test with the engine hot and without turning it off before they checked the pipe output and it passed, but yeah, just barely

1 - 8 of 8 Posts