Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm brand new to the Volvo world (and the car world). I just got myself a 1990 240 DL sedan. Everything about it sortof seems too good to be true. 60,000 miles. One owner. Beautiful condition. I drove it around and the wheel vibrated a bit, so the place I'm buying it from said they'll check the engine mounts. I'm not sure if that'll do it but I hope so. It also seemed like it was a little hard to turn the wheel. Is this common for these cars?

I'm surprised also because it has electric everything! Well, it has electric mirrors, windows, and sunroof! I hadn't even seen a 240 with a sunroof before this one.

So, all of that stuff made it seem like it was too good to be true! Then slowly I found little things that made me think the dealer was perhaps trying to trick me? For instance, the left side passenger door doesn't open from the inside or the out. The dealer said it was because the child lock was jammed but it still sketched me out. In general I'm just worried the car will poop out on me the second I drive it out of their lot. It seems like $5000 for a 1990 240 with only 60K miles is slightly too good to be true. I got a carfax report, and it was totally clean. There's been one recall from 1989 which was this: Recall #P2909 Control unit LH2.4. I don't know if they know about it, but I'm going to call them and ask them to fix that as well (unless you guys advise otherwise).

Anything else I should know before getting myself into the volvo world? This 240 seems fantastic. It has no dents or anything. (It's white). It feels sortof like driving a tank :)

Gabe

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Try to get them to fix it or drop the price down some on it.
Also take it to someone that knows Volvo's and have it inspected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I could do that but unfortunately I have to drive the car away for a few months this thursday. So I guess my question for you guys is is it unheard of to pay $5000 for a '90 240 with only 60k miles where everything seems to be in great condition? I called the woman who owned it before me and she's a little old lady. This situation seems unreal!

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
lol a lotta old and lovely ladies drive these cars. its common for these cars to have a lil problem here and there but yeah u mentioned that it drives like a tank..it will seem like it but after awhile u wont want to be driving neother car than a volvo. just have a trusty mechanic to check out everything before u buy it. 5K seems a lil high even with 60 K. id go witha bout 3K tops...

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Id just buy it mate

5 grand seems OK but it is a used car [a new one might be 50 grand]

you need to be prepared to fix the things what break on an ongoing basis with any used car but with volvos the stats say it lots less likely things break

my 30 year old 264 has gone 2 years now without one single problem BUT I have spent some time and money over last 13 years to get to that point [ie being able to consider it as reliable as a new car]

you simply need to weigh up do you have pay and extra 45 grand for new one or 5 grand for old one and maybe another 5 grand to get it perfect

bottom line is always the devil you know ....

eg sounds like power steering on way out so that is $500 and good as new for another 100k miles [but could simply be tyres old - it makes huge difference once you get new tyres]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and got it!! In an ideal world I'd take it to the Volvo guy near me, have him tell me everything that was wrong with it, and then have the dealer fix it, but unfortunately I need to drive to massachusetts on Thursday. It's going to be a squeeze just getting the car by then! The dealer gave me a warranty that's:

First 30 Days: Free parts free labor
Next 30 Days: Parts at cost, free labor
Final 30 Days: Parts at cost, labor at cost.

Not the greatest warranty ever, but better than nothing. My only worry is that they'll be fixing all the things I told them to fix, and notice something else that's wrong, and not bother fixing it, because they don't have to. I'm definitely no mechanic, so I might not notice. Is 5K a little high to be paying? My friend got a 92 Wagon with 70,000(?) miles for $10K I think. He bargained them down too. (This wasn't the same dealer however).

Is power steering something I should take it to a special Volvo person to do, or can it be done by anyone? I'm just worried that if it gets too hard to turn while I'm up in massachusettes, I could just take it to someone there vs. waiting until i get back here to NY and taking it to the dealer again.

Anything else I should be wary of?
thanks!
Gabe

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
how bad is steering - like sounds like it may not be working at all so is the belt broken or the resevoir empty

if simply on the way out it will only be at low speed ie parking you will get lumpy wheel and screaming on full lock

also remember "I think Im going back to Massachussuts"

hey man that was the only long drive I ever did in USA on the wrong side of the road, Hartford to Syracuse along the Mass turnpike thingo, winter 1988

1 - 8 of 8 Posts