Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, all. I have looked all over for a diagram of the relays for the 1989 760 Turbo--the one where the relay panel is located on the passenger side of the center console, and faces the passenger door. Which one of these is the fuel pump relay?

I'm wanting to change this out, as I am having a problem with my car. It cuts off at random: when I am driving along (or at idle) the tachometer will plunge to zero, and the engine cuts off (the electricity elsewhere is working--the stereo continues to play). If I am driving, I can let off the gas, and usually at some point while I am coasting along, the tach needle will come back up--and then I can press on the gas and have power.

I replaced the fuel pump (which looked and sounded like ****) and the fuel filter (simply because I damaged it while trying to get the fuel pump off), and the problem persists.

I also checked/swapped out the fuses for both fuel pumps, to no avail.

I would guess the next thing to try would be to replace the relay. I would like to know if it is possible to check--visually, since I have no electrical testing apparatus handy--if this is indeed the problem, or if it is the ignition control module, which I have discovered in the course of my search is also occasionally a culprit in this problem.

If it is indeed one of these two parts that is bad, is there a simple way to determine which one is indeed at fault?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just wondering if you ever found out what the problem was....I would be very interested to know, cause I'm having the same problem w/ my '88 Volvo 760 Turbo Intercooler.
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
i think if u look at some of the other posts in this forum, you should find somethign about a hall effect switch located in the distributor (i think), this was pointed out by someone else who had the same problem. it shouldnt be too far down the list on the first page.

SykO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got it fixed by replacing the ignition control module (AKA the powerstage), which is located on the driver's side of the engine compartment. It was a 5-minute, really cheap repair, after I had gone through all kinds of other hell. Should have tried that first thing, can't imagine now why I didn't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts