Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I just purchased a 1986 240 DL with 82,000 miles. I intend for this to be my son's first car if he can earn it.
Everything on the car checks out and is working perfectly, but as routine maintenance, I would like to replace the fuel filter. The Goodyear in town told me they would do it for $95.00, but since I've replaced fuel filters on other cars, that seemed a bit steep to me. Is there a trick or anything special I should know about replacing this filter? Also, is it under the hood near the fire wall?

Thanks!
Jeff (new comer)

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It will be in either 2 places 1 under the hood one the firewall on drivers side.Or under the car on the drivers side.There really isn't any tricks to replacing it.Just make sure when you buy the new one they give you the copper washers that go with it.One goes on each side of the hose at the fuel filter.You should get 4 washers.The easiest way is to use a wrench on the filter and on the bolt.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another helper is Volvo World. Just type it in your search bar and check out any part for the car especially $$$. They often give info re problems. Hope this helps.

Corny

·
Registered
9 Posts
QUOTE(happyhippo @ Feb 4 2005, 12:31 AM)Hi folks,
I just purchased a 1986 240 DL with 82,000 miles. I intend for this to be my son's first car if he can earn it.
Everything on the car checks out and is working perfectly, but as routine maintenance, I would like to replace the fuel filter. The Goodyear in town told me they would do it for $95.00, but since I've replaced fuel filters on other cars, that seemed a bit steep to me. Is there a trick or anything special I should know about replacing this filter? Also, is it under the hood near the fire wall?

Thanks!
Jeff (new comer)
[snapback]3000[/snapback]​

You will need to replace a number of things, especially if it's not documented. for "new" purchases, you want to inspect & clean the flame trap, flush & replace all fluids for starters.

more info in brickboard. com in searching archives and asking questions. very, very low miles for an 86. fcp groton, a volvo parts house in conn. has some of the best prices for volvo parts. volvo bosch fuel filter ~$10. fcpgroton.com

also, i strongly suggest replacing the odometer gear in the instrument cluster. very easy to replace before it breaks. almost all 240 odo gears teeth break and stop the odometer.

fine odo repair page:
http://www.hyperocity.com/volvo240/volvoodometer.htm

regards,
byron golden
86 245
92 245

1 - 6 of 6 Posts