Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 240 DL 2.3L. I bought it a a couple months ago and drove it from Oregon to Arizona with no problems. Then last week I drove from AZ to California and on the way the car died and wouldnt start. I push started it a couple times and finally it just died. I had it towed to a pep boys where they tested the Alternator, Battery and Starter and told me my alternator was bad. SO I replaced the Alternator myself in the parking lot, drove 30 miles and filled up the tank. When I tried to start it, it wouldnt start so I push started again and drove to an autozone where they tested the battery and it was completly dead. So I replaced the battery and drove the rest of the way without any problems. The car started fine for a couple days but then i was back to push starting it. I found that the alternator belt was loose so I adjusted it properly. I drove it for a few miles on the freeway to see if the alternator could charge the battery but it didnt help. It died again and now I cant even push start it again. My starter is working, but could something be draining the battery? OR is it possible that I got a faulty Alternator? Im not sure what to do at this point...

Also, there is an orange arrow warning (?) light (that points up) that is on all the time now. My owners manual doesnt list that dash light, does anyone know what it means?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
It is possible that the alt. is dead you need to try to have it checked and see how much it is putting out.

The arrow is for the overdrive.But if you push started it then that means you have a manual trans car.If you have a manual trans then you shouldn't have the orange arrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tanks for the reply...I do have manual transmission and an orange arrow. There is also an OD light on the dash but it is green and it has only worked a couple of times.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The orange arrow is for overdrive on the Auto cars that is confusing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the arrow you are talking about is nothing but an indicator telling you when to shift gears. When you shift does it go out? Not usually a problem. Good luck

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
sounds like voltage regulator and possibly also a small short, but prob only volt reg

I would instal Volt meter [never understand why they ever stopped using this vital meter as standard]

then you can see exactly what prob is rather than the "mechanic roulette" method of lets try this - $200 - ooops that no work lets try that $300

1 - 6 of 6 Posts