Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - this is my first post - but considering I've only owned a Volvo for a week I figure that it's a sign of many posts to come!!

I just bought a 2.1L 1984 240. She's got a little rust but I'm not trying to use her as a lady killer or anything. The price was great but I still don't have a lot of money to spend on a mechanics professional troubleshooting unless it is 100% required.

I've had her for a week so far. I've done the regular maintenance stuff like oil changing, fluid top up, engine cleaning, and new plugs. At first she would start right away but now she's getting more and more bitchy when I try to fire her up. It doesn't seem to be a "when cold... or when hot" thing. I know she's fuel injected and make sure to avoid pumping the gas. Usually I just try turning her over and then wait a few seconds before trying again. Yesterday morning she wouldn't start at all and I had to get a jump because my battery ran out of juice. But then later on she was going fine again.

I'm looking for advice on other things to replace or check. I have the Volvo bible next to me but I need some guidance on where to go next. Personal experience would also be very helpful. I am in no means a mechanic but I am quite technically minded and enjoy repairing/fixing everything. Does anyone think this could be a distributor problem? Or is the fact that it's getting worse hint towards a fuel pump/pressure problem?

Thank in advance for any insight or help you can offer,

-bluenote

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would try to look at fuel pressure.Your car should have 2 pumps most of the time the intank one goes bad.That will cause long crank time to get it started.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for both your answers Tech,

I'm edging towards the fuel pump being the problem myself. Can you or anyone else answer the following questions for me:

1) How can I check to see if the fuel pump/pressure is the problem?

2) How much does a new/ or usednew fuel pump cost (for inside the tank)?

3) If you have the jacks/tools/volvo manual is it a repair that you can do yourself without the high cost of a mechanic?

4) If you have fixed this problem yourself could you tell me approximate time spent working on it and any problems you encountered during the replacement?

Thanks again for the quick responses people. I can't wait to get this baby in perfect running condition again.

-bluenote

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Most of the time if the intake one goes bad the main pump under the drivers seat is very lound.Unless you have a fuel guage there is no way to tell.You could always pull it out and check it.You can access it from in the trunk.You can remove it through the hole as well.Once you get that figured out I would also check for vaccum leaks.You can do that by spraying carb cleaner around all vaccum lines and intake gaskets with the car running.If the idle changes there is a leak.

·
Registered
45 Posts
do u know if your car has an Ignitor aka ignition controll module... i think there is another nickname for it too
but yea a lot of times those will go bad and make your life hell when its a simple problem
also if its the fuel pump, try turning the key to the ON position without cranking it and leaving it to the on position for about 5 seconds each time about 3-5 times if this helps then yeah fuel pumps bad but this will make your startups easier until u get it fixed
been through a few fuel systems to know that when cars get old the collect crap in the tank and lines not only the filters! inspect all the lines when u get the chance you'd be amazed by the crap you find!

hope this helps
--zak--

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the great advice. Now I just wish it was the weekend so I could start on this project. Damn work and school always gets in the way of fun!!!

I will try to keep you guys/girls updated on how things go.

-bluenote

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 89 244. Turned out the fuel pump relay was going bad. I would make sure that is working as advertised before tearing into the fuel tank. Mine was located in the right hand kick panel.

my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts