Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've just bought at 1981 244 GL (manual) that has overdrive, but the overdrive (electronic I believe) drops out regularly back to fourth gear. It also does not go in immediately or always when the button for uverdrive (right in the top of the gear stick) is pressed. Havig only driven it once I found that it would sometimes hold more is speed was lower (90 kms hr or less) and decelerating, or if under costant acceleration. Howver there in the end seemed no mathod in the madness to keep the overdrive from 'slipping out'; it was also a litl;e clunky going into overdrive.
I also may have to get engine mounts due engine vibration; is there anywhere cheap near Newcastle / Sydney to do this (or buy just parts)? The 244 has a rough feeling move off from a standing start - normal (clutch vibration) but this is exaccerbated by loose engine mount. With thanks for any help; David

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would check your overdrive relay first.Start there i believe it is behind the glove box bye the a/c vents.Put the car in 4th gear and push the button and listen for the click to find the proper relay.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(Tech @ Nov 16 2004, 12:12 PM)I would check your overdrive relay first.Start there i believe it is behind the glove box bye the a/c vents.Put the car in 4th gear and push the button and listen for the click to find the proper relay.
[snapback]1156[/snapback]​

Thanks Tech, will look for that relay. Also going to simply try oil level measure/fix. Further to my story, I had the engine mounts changed as per what the previous owner advised. This turned out to be only half truth; it made the engine runnig a little smoother, but may still need gearbox mounts, and driveshaft mounts.

The engine also I think seems to be causing some amount of roughness (above the usual any car should) at idle with the car stationary (can't be driveshaft), so I may have to look into how evenly the engine runs.

All in all I'm still pretty pleased with the 1981 244 GLM, dw

·
Registered
8 Posts
this is an old post if still having problems 1st check wiring in shifter to od solinoid on trans 2nd check forth gear switch on right top side of trans

1 - 6 of 6 Posts