Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 1978 242 GT That seems to be giving me a fuel problem.

She starts up, after some effort, runs about 5 to10 seconds then just stalls

I've done:
fuel pumps
injectors
Distributer block
Pressure regulator
Frequency valve
Accumulator
Ign. mod.

Any body have any ideas
Any input is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
you have certainly done almost everything to the system and I guess quickest way to find cause is install a gauge for the system pressure [or even better one for control pressure as well]

sounds to me like the air flow sensor [refer to wiring diag] which is actually not a sensor but a microswitch under the air flap - as I said it is a volvo mod to the bosch system as a safety device if you have accident but [as I found out] it can sure play up at other times meaning the pumps are cut out completely

in my car just in case it happens again I have a bypass switch to manually operate pumps, which I also use at before start up to get system press up to 70 psi and have instant start

does car have K Jetronic system or is it the next one ie K Lamda, ie an "oxygen" sensor on side of fuel distributor?

also did you actually replace the Warm Up Regulator??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would take a look if you are getting any fuel.If the pumps are working even after the car stalls then is the relays in order.Next step is to know if you are getting any fuel to the sparkplugs if you don´t get any fuel would I take a look at the sock in the fuel tank because the pre pump in the tank can be clogged if t gets to dirty.Mostly is it just the fuelpump relays that has small crack in the cirquitboard that makes the problem .Just solder the cracks and you are ready to go.If you go to the scrap yard would I recommend you to buy a used extra fuelrelay it´s a cheap insurance.
Otherwise do I agree with the Doctor.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
also be aware that one relay is normal "horn relay" so can get a new one for $5 at your made in China auto access shop [vovlo wants $135 for same thing]

but the other relay is a special as it is SPDT [single pole double throw] so harder to get, AND do not mix them [they have same terminal config] or car will do very strange things

it is this relay which connects to the air flow sensor [check the diag to understand]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts