Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow V50 Owners,

I'm interested in getting a summer tire package since 9 months out of the year it doesn't freeze here. My all-season package is the 16" wheel with 205/55 tires. I've heard that 18" wheels and tires can be "twitchey." Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Rousslang

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey what's up?

I put black 18'' Kazera wheels and thin Pirelli tires on my V50. So far so good they dont bottom out on dips and hills. The only time that they have been a little ''twitchey'' is when it's raining hard and you accelerate quickley. Other than that they look great! I added a picture of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey there, i think it's a good choice that you'd want to upgrade your wheels from 16" to 18" wheels.

however, i don't think upsizing the wheels will result in e car being twitchy. it's more of how the wheels are aligned and balanced (how e car is setup).

personally, if u r after 18" wheels, go for 18"x 7.5 at the very least. and fit tires which are wider. i.e. 235/45, with not-so-low profile tires. that way u will won't compromise so much on the ride and u'd get e benefit of wide tires.

currently i'm running on the standard sagilatta 17"x7.0 with 205/50 tires, which i find a bit narrow and low-profile.

has anyone fitted 235/45 tires on their 17" wheels?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had 17x7.5 rims fitted with 235/45-17 tires and was very satisfied with the combination, for the reason it improves handling without sacrifising comfort. My V50 2.4 is now fitted with Volvo's 18x8 option rim with 225/45-18 tires. If I had a choice, I would stick with 17 inch rims because 18 inch is too hard and may become jumpy over potholes, which would result in losing traction racing through corners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi rousslang,

I have had 18" wheels on my V50 from new with 245/ 45 Pirelli Pzero's.

I find them generally on the firm side with noticable increase in road noise. They tend to tramline a little especially on our poor UK roads.

That being said they look ....fantastic.... I believe they really enhance the grip and road holding of the car and give me what i want- a good drivers car!!!

I say go for it..

·
Registered
8 Posts
QUOTE(jj2112002 @ Feb 22 2006, 09:14 PM)I've had 17x7.5 rims fitted with 235/45-17 tires and was very satisfied with the combination, for the reason it improves handling without sacrifising comfort. My V50 2.4 is now fitted with Volvo's 18x8 option rim with 225/45-18 tires. If I had a choice, I would stick with 17 inch rims because 18 inch is too hard and may become jumpy over potholes, which would result in losing traction racing through corners.
[snapback]24993[/snapback]​

do u feel more comfortable with that 235/45 setup??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts