Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an 850 estate, somewhere around 95-97. It'll probably be a high miler to keep in my budget, but I'm not really worried about that (i.e. 150+, maybe 200k miles)

Which engine should I look for? 10v or 20v?

I had an 850 2.0 20v a couple of years back and loved the way it revs like mad as it suits my style of driving.

Now I want a 2.5, but I've heard confilicting reports about reliability issues with the 20v engine. My 2.0 had the old sticky valve problems, but I'm not all that worried about that as they are not a serious ££££ issue and it only really was a serious problem once, but a lot of cranking sorted it!

Are there really realiability issues with the 20v engine which would put people off buying it?

I haven't driven a 10v and was also wondering what the performance is like compared with the 20v. Anyone had both to make a comparison? My understanding is that the torque is low down in the 10v, but what difference in terms of turn of speed does this make in real-world driving?

Opinions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Matt.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
My opinion go with the 20v.
The 10v does lack some power compaired to the 20v.
They are pretty much the same engine as well just minus the extra Valves.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
Matt,

All i can say is that if there's a 30Valve option, i'd be considering it too.

If you are used to the 20V version, man, i'll tell you - you wont be satisfied at all with the 10V. The power difference is not just under the "JND" (Just Noticeable Difference) category, but the lack of it, may really put you off.

HOWEVER,
if you're looking for some fuel-savings, you would be able to see the little extra savings for opting to the lesser valve. I think even in my country, the parts are generally the same costs, minus for the engines.

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts
QUOTE(le_fou_anglais @ Jun 15 2005, 08:14 PM)I'm looking for an 850 estate, somewhere around 95-97. ... I had an 850 2.0 20v a couple of years back and loved the way it revs like mad as it suits my style of driving.

Matt.
[snapback]9713[/snapback]​

If you love to rev it up on the streets, may I entice you with the (High Pressure Turbo) T5 option, rather than the Full Turbo option?

Give it a rev!
(You'll see what I mean - oh, don't keep loose things in the cargo-bay, OK? Strap them down tight...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, yes, you can very much tempt me with a T-5!
but I fear for both my driving licence and for my bank balance in repair bills!

·
Premium Member
8,352 Posts

I hear you. The repair costs would generally be a little higher than the Normally Aspirated one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts