Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's typical 105,000 miles service? I could not find any water pump replacement service during the 105,000 miles service from the following site.
http://www.edgecombs.com/9901schedule.htm

Does this mean I just need to replace a fuel filter, serpentine belt, timing belt, timing belt tensioner? Which pulley I need to replace usually between drive belt pulley or timing belt idler pulley? I have read a volvo water pump is strong and usually it last over 200k miles if coolant is changed regularly. Anyway, what's typical service for 105,000 miles? Any helps?

At 105,000 Miles
-----------------------
75,500 Mile Service, plus:
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace Auxiliary Drive Belt
Replace Timing Belt & Tensioner*
$555.00
Parts & Labor
(5.5 Hours)
*(Recommend
Tensioner & Pulley replacement as well.)
---------------------------------

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The 105k service it the timing belt and oil change.The fuel filter should be every 30k as well as the spark plugs and coolant.Spin the pulleys on the tensioner if you feel any scraping or excesive resistance replace it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again, Tech. So, I may skip replacing the water pump. Does water pump failure also produce cylinder head damage like the valve to piston crash without giving any warning like water leaks (before a water pump failure)? Thanks.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
most of the time the water pump leaks first before it locks up.I have never seen one lock up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I went to a local Volvo dealer yesterday to reset the "Transmission Service Required" message and "Check Engine" red light signal after replacing a rebuilt ABS/STC module. Today, I tested my car in a heavy rainy day here and didn't get any "ABS" and/or "STC" warning message and "Check Engine" red signal. Hence, my car is running in good condition now. I also flushed my dirty transmission oil yesterday. I also followed the climate control backpanel light bulb replacement instructions. It worked just fine. The bulb costs around $10 each. I replaced all of the six bulbs in the climate control panel. It takes about 30 minutes.

At that time, I asked 105K service to a guy in the local dealer, and I was told $1100 105K service only includes spark plug, oil change, timing belt/tensioner replacement, serpentine belt, etc. But, I have to pay extra money if I want to replace the "WATER PUMP". That means a 105K service doesn't include the water pump replacement. Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was just informed my 1998 with 96K miles need a new engine because the t-belt tensioner failed.
I had the water pump and belt replaced at 70K miles. I was told teh tensioner should be repalced at the 105K service.

Just a "head up" to all 1998 s70 owners,
because I am staring at a $4k estimate from the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In many cases, much of the labor involved in changing out a water pump is identical to the labor involved in timing belt replacement. If you do them both at the same time, you only have to buy that labor once. Water pumps are usually one of the cheaper major parts of an engine. If you have a good, honest mechanic and he advises a water pump change with timing belt change, you probably ought to take his advice.

For example, it's better to pay $500 for timing belt and water pump replacement at 100k miles than $425 for timing belt replacement at $100k miles and $375 for water pump replacement at 120k miles. I'm not familiar with Volvo water pump reliability, but I don't trust water pumps on most vehicles much past 100k miles, and some engines are prone to water pump failure at the 75-100k mile mark.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I believe that coolant pump life can be extended dramatically if coolant is replaced regularly, e.g. every 30,000 miles/48000 km.

On my old 740, the pump was replaced (due to a leak) at 176000 km (about 110,000 miles), and never touched again. The car had 509000 km (about 315,000 miles) on it when I traded it.

It may seem like a small thing, but regular fluid changes pay major dividends as a car ages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts