Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I wanted to ask some people with the S60 what kind of mileage you are getting. The reason I ask is because mine isn't what I expected it to be.
I have tried to use different octane with no success. I noticed a little difference but nothing major, therefor I use mid grade. The best MPG I can get is about 20.0 according to my message window. Yeah 20 miles per gallon, and thats 95% freeway driving. I do go about MPH on the open freeway but all and all my driving habits are pretty norm.

I only have 1450 miles on my car so I'm hoping that it will get better with time. I know that Volvo claims they get 30 highway and 20 city but I'm not even close. My truck(5.4L V8) gets about the same mileage.

Second Question: How accurate is the MPG feature in the message window, and what is other peoples reading? I have been going strictly from this because I haven't let the tank get low enough to calculate an accurate reading.

Don't think for one minute I don't love my car(wifes), I drive it every chance I get.
I just was expecting a little better gas mileage.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
2,885 Posts
My 2002 S60 is the non turbo (2.4L), which may affect the numbers, but I have been getting between 32 -34 on the highway and around 24 in the city. Could it be that the tennis shoes you are wearing have an abnormally high lead content, leading to that horrible condition known as "driverus leadfootus".

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No not really. It is my first car with a turbo and from time to time I like to make sure it still works(Hee-Hee)
. But no seriously most the time I have the family in the car so I keep it safe. Does anyone think it will get better once the motor gets broke in a little more?
THNX

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I got my 05 in April, and now with just over 1500 miles, the message window just started showing 20.0 mpg. And even though its an R, I have been taking it easy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats up 60R,

What did your sticker claim it should get for mileage? I'de like to know the difference between the 60R and the 2.5T as far as milage goes

Also, did you ever find the damn change holder that our broshure claims we have. I've been meaning to look into it more but haven't gotten around to it. Its really not that big of deal its more principal than anything.
Have a good night.

THNX

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have only recently go my Volvo S60 it has the 2.4 turbo engine. I have just come home from a run on the motorway and it has given me 38.4 mpg. Around town it averages 28 mpg, this seems to be about right as best I can tell. This includes the occational mad moment to clear any cobwebs from the car HA. HA.

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2004 S60R has 2000 miles on the clock, and does 25mpg actual.
I keep an accurate record of my fuel purchases in gallons and monitor consumption over a 100 gallon period.
As a US gallon is smaller than a UK gallon - 1US = 0.83UK, this equates to 20.75m/US gallon.
By the way my message centre readout for average fuel consumption says 26.3mpg, which is 5% optimistic.
this would mean your actual consumption is 19 m/US gallon.
Sorry,
Regards, Moray.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
QUOTE(fyrfytr @ Jul 2 2005, 01:29 AM)Whats up 60R,

What did your sticker claim it should get for mileage? I'de like to know the difference between the 60R and the 2.5T as far as milage goes

Also, did you ever find the damn change holder that our broshure claims we have. I've been meaning to look into it more but haven't gotten around to it. Its really not that big of deal its more principal than anything.
Have a good night.

THNX

[snapback]10760[/snapback]​

The window sticker for mine says 18/24.

There is no change holder for '05. I put some pics somewhere on this site, but if u cant find it, its supposed to be in the compartment under your right elbow. No one seems to know why its not there anymore. And I agree, its the principle of the matter...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2005 S60 2.5 turbo with AWD, purchased December '04. During the cold winter months the mileage was terrible -- generally not much above 20MPG burning 93 octane. A friend who has the same model told me to wait until the weather warms up. Just today I drove +400 highway miles and averaged 29.5MPG at an average speed of around 75. I don't know why cold weather should impact milage to such an extent. Maybe it's the engine management programming.

Your car is new so the mileage is sure to be bad for a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for there posts. All is good info. The problem with the cold weather is interesting, although I live in the desert. I actually drove 150 miles today (110 degrees) and averaged about 28 MPG running at 80mph on 89 octane. Not too bad.
This is the first time I have got my MPG's above 19 so I am very pleased.

Again thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All,

Sorry to add another flavour to the list, but can anyone give me an idea of what their S60R GearTronic does to the (UK) gallon? We are struggling to get 18mpg on a mix of town and country driving (no motorways) with about 20K miles on the clock. This seems low and is about 4mpg lower than what we got from our previous manual 'R'.

Also, our dealer appears to have overfilled the oil by about 25%,
is that going to be hurting anything ?

Many thanks for all the great posts.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Overfilled on oil by 25% - are you kidding

These things take about 6-6.5 litres or something (1.5 litres too much is bound to cause problems surely)

I think the winter can take its toll on MPG because some places add ethanol to the fuel and that can affect milage (there are a few posts abot fuel consumption)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, I didn't explain that well ! It's 25% over on the dip-stick, not sure what that means in actual litres. You reackon I should take it back to the dealer and compain?

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts