Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm on the verge of placing my order for a brand spanking S60 but can't commit to which engine to go for, the 2.0T or D5. I asked over on another forum and each has it's advocates but no-one seems to have decent experience of both.

Performance is important as I trave a lot of A roads so have to take my overtaking opportunities as they come up, quickly. Also, although I do a fair number of miles per year (approx 25K), the savings with the diesel isn't particularly significant... well, on paper at least!

Any help would be appreciated, I'm already swaying towards D5 but only because I should be able to go longer (not necessarily farther) between fill-ups.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the D5 for almost a year now and would recommend it to you - overtaking is no problem on A roads - just press and go!
Hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(zygote @ Feb 21 2005, 04:28 PM)Hi there, I'm on the verge of placing my order for a brand spanking S60 but can't commit to which engine to go for, the 2.0T or D5. I asked over on another forum and each has it's advocates but no-one seems to have decent experience of both.

Performance is important as I trave a lot of A roads so have to take my overtaking opportunities as they come up, quickly. Also, although I do a fair number of miles per year (approx 25K), the savings with the diesel isn't particularly significant... well, on paper at least!

Any help would be appreciated, I'm already swaying towards D5 but only because I should be able to go longer (not necessarily farther) between fill-ups.

Thanks in advance.

[snapback]3777[/snapback]​

the 2.0ts pertol is far better (avoud 2.4 though), i have driven the d5 and was not impressed with the engine, it was rough but it did pull well. the petrol is nice though. only thing is i find the interior qialty of my own terrible, fughting with volvo over it at the moment in relatiion to rattles and poor plastics.

dont want to put u off, just through my bad experience,
thanks, chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(redman @ Mar 1 2005, 01:51 PM)the 2.0ts pertol is far better (avoud 2.4 though), i have driven the d5 and was not impressed with the engine, it was rough but it did pull well. the petrol is nice though. only thing is i find the interior qialty of my own terrible, fughting with volvo over it at the moment in relatiion to rattles and poor plastics.

dont want to put u off, just through my bad experience,
thanks, chris
[snapback]4258[/snapback]​

Is your car the 2005 model, i.e. facelifted? Allegedly they improved the interior quality and fit'n'finish. Very surprised at your opinion of the D5, yours is the only negative comment I have read, including press reviews. How do you think it compared - performance wise - with the 2.0T?

Still, mostly irrelevant now as my D5 has been ordered!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
QUOTE(zygote @ Mar 1 2005, 10:09 AM)Is your car the 2005 model, i.e. facelifted? Allegedly they improved the interior quality and fit'n'finish. Very surprised at your opinion of the D5, yours is the only negative comment I have read, including press reviews. How do you think it compared - performance wise - with the 2.0T?

Still, mostly irrelevant now as my D5 has been ordered!!

[snapback]4260[/snapback]​

hi there,
sorry to sound negative, i find the petrol engine far smoother.
you may well be correct about build quality, it is evident that there have been revisions in the interior, probably due to people like me being their r and d arm.

i have seen the new interiors and they are better, my car is a 52 plate ie not facelifted. i did not tell tech that i actually had my whole dash removed to discover the creaks and rattles behind it!

sad experience for me as the car looks great, is fast and cost effective, think it may be a bmw next time though (SORRY)..

regards, chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts