Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to Volvo and need to know if I have a problem or not with the heater and fan of an brand-new, Euro-model s60 that I just bought. The behaviour I describe in this post is pretty bizarre and nothing like any of the other cars I have owned. But, like I say, I am new to the world of Volvo, so maybe they know something I do not, or someone out there has a solution to the problem, before I head back to the dealer.

The user guide says that the fan is controlled automatically when the heater is set to Auto. In the light of this, I expect the fan to come on automatically on very cold mornings, as soon as the engine/coolant is up to temperature, in order to speed up the heating in the car, and raise the real temp to the desired temp, which I dial on the dashboard.

This does not happen: instead I have to manually check if warm air is coming out of the vents on the dashboard and then, as soon as I detect warm air, switch on the fan to heat up the car. If I do not do this, the car simply does not get up to the desired temp, of 22C: it sticks around 19-20. Presumably, this will get worse as we get into Winter and is not helped by the fact that, after a while, the heater seems to give up and start pumping cooler air out of the vents.

If I start the fan manually, the car does heat up, and pretty quickly, too. But after a while, instead of turning itself off automatically once the selected temperature is reached, the temperature of the air coming out of the vents sinks progressively until the effect is as if the air-conditioner is on and blasting cool air out the vents. It seems as if the on-board computer thinks it has made a mistake by overheating the cabin, and now needs to cool the car down again.

But is gets worse!

The "heater" never again comes back on, choosing instead to continue emitting cool air. At this point, the only solution is to turn the fan off.

Am I missing something here? Or does anyone have any ideas or hints as to what could be going wrong? It would be nice to be able to refer to a service bulletin or something when I take the car in for a check.

Interestingly, on warm days (yes, we do get them once in a while here), if I dial in a cool temperature, the air-conditioner starts up the fan immediately and blasts cool air into the cabin.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi there, Hedge,
I had a similar problem with my new S60R when I first had it in July.
With the temp set to 22C, the fan did not cut in on auto to blow cooled air, I had to turn it up with the fan knob.
I played around with the aircon settings and then switched the aircon off, and then on again, and lo and behold, the fan cut in on auto.
I know this was in the summer and did not involve hot air flow but it is worth trying if you have not done so.
It was too simple for words really.
Regards, Moray,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Thanks for the information. As luck would have it, I stumbled accross the same behaviour, by accident, this afternoon. And, to be honest, I am still not sure if there is a problem to be fixed here or not. Out of frustration at not being able to get the thing to work, I punched the Auto button on the heater twice in quick succession, to turn it off and then on again, and, as you say, the unit started to work as I expect, namely; the fan is activated if there is a big difference between real and selected temperatures and deactivated if I manually adjust the temp to be close to the actual one. I know the actual temperature because I have been keeping a record of the temperatures inside the car with a separate thermometer so that I know when the heater/ac should be working and how hard.

I will experiment over the next few days to see if the behaviour remains the same and, if so, how I can work around it. For example, does it mean that I have to punch the Auto button twice each time I get into the car? Seems a little strange, but there you go.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hedge,
Since my a/c started working OK on auto, I must admit I have not used the manual knob. I do not have to press the Auto or any other buttons each time I start the car.
I would suggest you should only have to press the auto button once, after using the manual override, to set it back to auto.
Regards, Moray.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts