Volvo Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem with the car is that the engine vibrates when idle and when i hit the gas the car runs very slow and starts vibrating terribly. During that time the check engine light starts flashing. And I after I pass around 40-50 mph, the problem goes away.

The car also has a starting problem, sometimes it takes around 3-4 secs to start. But I had this problem for over weeks and the vibrating problem just happened yesterday. So, they might be happening for different reasons. Any ideas what might be the problem causing the vibrating.

John

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
I would check the spark plugs and the coils first.
When the check engine light flashes that means the car is missfiring.

Where in FLA. are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, i just got back from the mechanic and the computer says cylinder 2 is missing fire. The mechanic told me bunch of things that may cause this including sprak plugs, coils and starter. I took the car back to home now. I have a question though, Is there anyway to know what the exact problem is? or do i have to change all those parts one by one to know what the problem is?

btw, i am in boca raton area.

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
The cheapest thing to do is change the plugs.That will cost you about $10.00 to 15.00 if you buy the parts and do it your self.

It will be about a 50/50 chance for the plugs and the coils.

But I would start with the plugs.

Ok I was wondering where you lived I live in orlando.I used to live in West Palm 4 years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you are saying it is either plugs or coils? I changed the plugs and it did not make a difference. So should I go ahead and change the coils?

And one more question, I am selling the car in a few months that's why I am thinking of buying coils from the junkyard. Do you think this is a good idea?

thanks
John

·
Volvo Guru !
5,908 Posts
Yes I would replace the coils now.
You can try junk yard coils but you might be buying the same problem you have now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts