Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Strange Brake Valve
Veyo
post Aug 2 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 76,363
Drives: Volvo 142

Hi there!

I wonder if any of you can help me. There is this strange brake reduction valve in Volvo 140s, P 1800 and later Amazon 120, situated in front of the rear axle. The local Volvo dealer here doesn't know it, the Swedish pros at KG Trimning can't find it anywhere, and a Google search ain't giving no results. I've found drawings of it here: http://volvo1800pictures.com/document/verk...5_bromsar_2.pdf , pictures (bild) 45, 46 and 47.
Do any of you know where to find one, or know of a Volvo part dealer who sells on the Internet, and might have one for sale?

Thanks a lot in advance;
Veyo
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
midarose
post Jun 15 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 90,904
Drives: 2004 Volvo

I have 30 years of experience in maintenance and vehicle repair and have worked at several garages and I can tell you this: incompetance is rampant.
You said you were "losing pedal pressure". Did the pedal slowly go down while pressing on it? This is called pedal fade and is due to only two reasons: a leak in the system and a wornout master cylinder. Unless you had a wheel soaked in brake fluid, you had a bad master cylinder to start with. That would also account for no pressure in the rear wheel. When they installed the new master cylinder did they "bench bleed" it before attaching the lines? Air in the master cylinder will stop any attempt to bleed the lines. A master cylinder MUST be bled and have a constant flow of new brake fluid so it doesn't go dry, which makes you start all over. I suspect that it may be one thing to look at.
Next I would be sure that the wheel cylinder bleeder screw is not plugged by rust or dirt. They need to be removed and cleaned out and blown out with compressed air. It doesn't take much to plug up the bleed holes at the bottom of the bleeder screw.
The bottom line is that there is air or a solid blockage in the lines. I found out through experience that vacuum bleeding works very well. I use a vacuum pump called a "Mighty Vac".

QuoteReply
Maxy
post Jun 16 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 90,275
Drives: Volvo V40

Just to point out that I thought I ordered. There have been a breath of air between the pump and the valve bias. Bled this morning and now its fine.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Other Volvo Models Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Pinned: Brake Booster Replacement
3 Tech 17,904 22nd May 2020 - 06:56 PM
Last post by: licenselinks
No New Posts Brake Bleeder Wrench Size
0 kyle2570 4,270 22nd June 2019 - 08:06 AM
Last post by: kyle2570
No New Posts Brakes Feel Hard And Soft - No Abs Warning Light, New Master Cylinder
11 harojs 13,181 13th August 2018 - 04:30 AM
Last post by: Ahmed22
No New Posts Brake Bulb Does Not Light When Handbrake Engaged
5 harojs 2,780 24th July 2018 - 03:14 AM
Last post by: Ahmed22
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsStrange Contents Out Of Exhaust Pipe
What is this out of the exhaust pipe
3 pkerr 1,290 18th July 2018 - 10:17 AM
Last post by: TedBundy12

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 11:18 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.