Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 300 Series?, where do i go to chat about them
post Sep 28 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,064

Hi,

Theres no section on here for the 300 series cars!

Were they ever sold in America or just Europe?

anyway i fancy putting a 16v turbo motor in one. looks an easy mod and the car would go well with all that power. a real stealth machine!

gearbox is in the back of these cars so im wondering where i could go in terms of gearbox mods for reliability.

Anyone care to share there views? has anyone got a modified 300 series cosworth asskicker already?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
post Sep 28 2006, 05:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,519

Can't say I've ever even heard about one until now
Pardon my ignorance, I'm Canadian and I'm new to the Marque.

As far as transaxles, I wonder how easy it would be to take the transaxle out of a Porsche 944/924 etc.... Or it may just be easier to modify the existing gearbox.
That also makes for GREAT weight distribution as well.

QuoteReply
big_ben
post Oct 9 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #3

Senior

Member No.: 2,746
Drives: 94 850 Estate 2.5L SE

If you are thinking of putting serious power in there i would say no, dont do it. The chassis and handeling is bad enough with what its got and over the years ive seen several do complete 360's on roundabouts, even in good weather.

Have owned the 340 1.4 and 1.7 in the past. IMHO the 1.4 was a bad motor but the 1.7 was a corker at the time. If you are serious about an upgrade job start with a good 360 (2L engine) and go from there. The drive train was definatly a different design on these and beefed up a little for the extra power, not sure if the suspension was any different though.

QuoteReply
dk88
post Oct 5 2011, 10:18 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 96,361
Drives: volvo 340 gl, and just bought a 440 turbo

Hey dude,

the 944 turbo's had a rear mount 5 speed i beleive? not too sure if they would be able to made to fit a 340 though?? how ever if u find that it can be please let me know lol as i am currently looking in to changing the gear box in my 1.7 340 after i have dropped a 440 turbo lump in her like yourself i want a realiable amount of power that still does what i need her too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif) , however i have heard that apparently the volvo 740/940 2.3 turbo boxes apparently fiut in with out to much hassle but they are front mounted boxes so i cant see how it could be "easy" as far as i can see you would need to cut the tunnel out and make it wider and taller etc etc? sorry about the waffling but hope this helps you out some way some how lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/57.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/460.gif)

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Oct 5 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #5

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (beavus @ Sep 28 2006, 04:29 AM)
Hi,

Theres no section on here for the 300 series cars!

Were they ever sold in America or just Europe?

anyway i fancy putting a 16v turbo motor in one. looks an easy mod and the car would go well with all that power. a real stealth machine!

gearbox is in the back of these cars so im wondering where i could go in terms of gearbox mods for reliability.

Anyone care to share there views? has anyone got a modified 300 series cosworth asskicker already?

the 300 series was a very bad car,and they were rust buckets,with a very bad gearbox,short reply to getting one is don't,they were crap.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Oct 7 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #6

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 2002 Volvo V70 D5 S

from my experience with several 1.4 340's the back end will step out on a corner if you are accelerating, and prop shaft alignment is crucial, this is the other weak point of the car, the rubber bushes at the ends of the prop shaft where the universal joint is will melt if the alignment is out, leaving you high and dry with no drive to the gearbox. if you have the auto box I am not sure, though I believe there were 2 drive belts working this. the 1.4 renault engines were only good for about 200,000 miles, and renault head gaskets are cheaper than the volvo ones and identical.
Grendel

QuoteReply
vanhireunitedk
post Oct 18 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 97,007
Drives: fabia

Nice series of cars. Best in performance as well. Its speed is good.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Other Volvo Models Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts 300 Mpg "aptera"
New stuff coming
5 [email protected] 1,427 24th April 2009 - 10:32 AM
Last post by: SykO

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 6th July 2020 - 09:50 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.