Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Need Help: Xc90 Icm Module Repair/replacement Question
JohnAT2
post Jun 11 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,944
Drives: XC90

The radio/CD audio system on my 2005 XC90 2.5T recently died - when pushed power button, nothing is turned on. I rarely used it, so I don't know exact time when it failed. As a result, the backup sensors also stopped working, as I heard the alert sound comes from the audio system.

I went to the dealer shop and they diagnosed the issue to be the bad ICM module. They gave me a quote of US $1,200 to put in a new one. However, they mention, due to the bad ICM, they cannot test if any other parts connected to it are functional, ie, if the backup sensors are still good - they may or may not work when the new ICM installed.

I don't know much about car mechanics and would like to check the forum to see if anyone has any experience with the ICM module issues. How serious is the problem? Should I go for a fix asap? Will the sensors work after the new ICM installed? The dealer shop called Volvo US and Volvo is willing to contribute $300 to the repair cost. Is this type of failure common for XC90s? I have just over 70k miles and have been following all maintenance schedules. Do you think maybe I should ask Volvo to contribute more (50-50 split) as I read through the post, it seems not that common issue.

Thanks in advance for help!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
VAGirl
post Jun 12 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 74,003
Drives: Volvo XC90 V8 AWD

I have had the exact same problem with my radio and navigation system on my 2005 XC90 (67,000 miles). The radio and navigation system simply stopped working one day on the way home from work and then it came back on the next day during the drive to work. It did it again until it completely quit.

When I took it in for an oil change, the Volvo service checked it out and said it was the ICM. The estimate is $1200!

How did you get Volvo to agree to pay some of the cost? My car is no longer under any warranty and I cannot afford such a hefty repair!

I would appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks!

QuoteReply
JohnAT2
post Jun 15 2010, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 73,944
Drives: XC90

The thing bothered me is to hear you had almost identical failure on ICM. The dealer shop basically told me it is unlucky to get a bad one at 70K - it is supposed to last longer. Maybe others have same issues.

I have heard Volvo may help for the first major repair on the car if you have good record - with price tag at $1200, ICM surely qualifies for that. My dealer called their Volvo contact and was able to get the discount. I hope they can do more, but anyway appreciate the good gesture. I would suggest you try to talk to them, hopefully they can give some help. This will also let them know about ICM problems if there is some pattern in the failure, which can benefit all XC90 owners.

QUOTE (VAGirl @ Jun 12 2010, 08:44 PM)
I have had the exact same problem with my radio and navigation system on my 2005 XC90 (67,000 miles). The radio and navigation system simply stopped working one day on the way home from work and then it came back on the next day during the drive to work. It did it again until it completely quit.

When I took it in for an oil change, the Volvo service checked it out and said it was the ICM. The estimate is $1200!

How did you get Volvo to agree to pay some of the cost? My car is no longer under any warranty and I cannot afford such a hefty repair!

I would appreciate any info you could provide. Thanks!

QuoteReply
VAGirl
post Aug 22 2010, 06:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 74,003
Drives: Volvo XC90 V8 AWD

I just wanted to post an update and let you know that I had the ICM replaced at the Volvo Dealer. Since I was given an estimate of over $1,000 I asked if they (the dealership) could help with some of the cost. They said they could take 10% off. It was helpful but I knew the repair would still be difficult for me to afford.

I decided to send an email to US Volvo and explain how the ICM went bad without any warning. I also explained that it received any and all service at a local dealership and was never diagnosed as a problem. I knew I had nothing to lose so I asked them to pick up the cost of the repair. Within an hour, I got a call from US Volvo who contacted the dealership. US Volvo agreed to pay for half of the repair. Yes, it was still pricey but 50% was better than 10%!

Now my radio, cd player, rear entertainment system and back up sensors work without any problem. I also had a window that would go down when you pushed the button and then pop back up. This seemed to fix that as well.

I would suggest contacting Volvo as well. I felt they addressed my issue with my XC90 promptly and followed through to make sure I was a satisfied customer.

Most of all, I feel like I got my car back!

QuoteReply
greenbrick
post Aug 23 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 77,356
Drives: 97 Volvo V90

Hey try car-parts.com this site is linked to all Major salvage yards in the USA. They will also tell you the mileage,condition of the car it came from. Most yards do provide a warranty of 30days to a 1year in some cases.

QuoteReply
yriley
post Sep 15 2013, 10:02 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 36,716
Drives: 2004 XC90 and 2001 S60

This is my first post! My wife's '04 XC90 had a bad ICM for about 2 years. I've been putting off the repair b/c of the $1200 cost. One thing I noticed over the past 2 years was that the radio and navigation would work randomly on colder days. This let me to believe that something temp related was causing a "short" in the ICM. I wanted to try a trick from the video game system world. XBOX 360's were notorious for heat issues. You may have heard of the "Red Ring of Death". Well, one theory of this issue was poor soldering job on the board. The fix was to take a heat gun and heat the board to fix any "loose" connections. I have done this on a XBOX 360, so I thought I would give it a try. I removed the radio per instructions on the forums. Then I took out the upper face part of the radio that holds the ICM (Display). From there, I did not disassemble the entire upper part. I simply used a heat gun, or in this case my wife's hair dryer and heated up the board through the vent holes. I did this only for a couple of minutes. When I put the radio back together, I turned on the ignition and the radio worked!!! The navigation screen popped up and worked also. I don't have long term results since I just did this a few minutes ago, but I will post them in the future.

Total cost for repair, $0.00 !!!!!

If anyone needs pictures or instructions, send me a message. Forgive me if anyone has posted a similar solution. I've searched the forums for the past 2 years and I haven't seemed to find anything other than dear replacement or used ICM.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_5510.jpg ( 1.89MB ) Number of downloads: 165
Attached File  IMG_5512.JPG ( 2.05MB ) Number of downloads: 156
Attached File  IMG_5513.JPG ( 1.73MB ) Number of downloads: 137

QuoteReply
Nickeeray
post May 17 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 145,673
Drives: Volvo xc90

QUOTE (yriley @ Sep 15 2013, 08:02 AM)
This is my first post! My wife's '04 XC90 had a bad ICM for about 2 years. I've been putting off the repair b/c of the $1200 cost. One thing I noticed over the past 2 years was that the radio and navigation would work randomly on colder days. This let me to believe that something temp related was causing a "short" in the ICM. I wanted to try a trick from the video game system world. XBOX 360's were notorious for heat issues. You may have heard of the "Red Ring of Death". Well, one theory of this issue was poor soldering job on the board. The fix was to take a heat gun and heat the board to fix any "loose" connections. I have done this on a XBOX 360, so I thought I would give it a try. I removed the radio per instructions on the forums. Then I took out the upper face part of the radio that holds the ICM (Display). From there, I did not disassemble the entire upper part. I simply used a heat gun, or in this case my wife's hair dryer and heated up the board through the vent holes. I did this only for a couple of minutes. When I put the radio back together, I turned on the ignition and the radio worked!!! The navigation screen popped up and worked also. I don't have long term results since I just did this a few minutes ago, but I will post them in the future.

If anyone needs pictures or instructions, send me a message. Forgive me if anyone has posted a similar solution. I've searched the forums for the past 2 years and I haven't seemed to find anything other than dear replacement or used ICM.

****** I just wanted to let you know, I was having the same issue and I did what you said and it worked like a dream! I'm back in business and everything is working great! Thanks for the tip. Nice to fix it myself for zero dollars. I will post 2 months from now so I can give you long term results.

QuoteReply
valerielynn1979
post Jun 12 2015, 11:38 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 148,786
Drives: 2003 volvo xc90

To Newbie and Riley I too am very new to this forum - I plan to try your solution this weekend - I paid for a new radio only to be told it was not the radio but the ICM module. I have adjusted almost to no sound in the car! but this has been going on 6 weeks now. I am furious at the dealership for not doing better diagnostics but that has been my experience. I have definitely more than enjoyed my car, and this last issue happened after I was out of town for two days. Came back was leaving the airport parking deck and no sound...I also experienced the sound returned 2 days later, a little loud, unable to control ... and the radio did not turn off when I stopped the car. hard to hide...and I felt like a scene out of Christine! (Stephen King, circa late 80s) Then that stopped and that was all. I replaced the cd player/changer a few years ago and still have 2 cds stuck with in. I do not have the navigation etc. -- just the radio and cd player/changer. yes I have considered a portable for the moment and may still go that route, but I live in GA and your suggestion about heat and temperature I am going to try because my check engine sensor is very senstive to that as i discovered after about 6 service visits, months of diagnostics, and new thermostats etc. AND we have been headed into our wonderful summers of 90 degree days and nights and 90% humidity and the days this happened the temp was in the 90s dropped that night to the mid 60s and did not get back to the 90s for about 30 hours...I will keep you posted. I love my car and I have spent a good chunk keeping it serviced, with good tires, brakes etc. but enough is enough in this economy. thanks very much for the idea.

QuoteReply
baidan
post Aug 12 2017, 09:00 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 223,537
Drives: 2005 XC90 AWD

Hi, I am curious how this has worked in the long term, for those of you who have tried the heating solution? I have an 05 XC90 and I love the car overall but the sound system has these same goofy issues and that aspect is driving me nuts. Thanks

QuoteReply
PaulvdM
post Dec 4 2017, 10:25 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 234,385
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T5 AWD

QUOTE (baidan @ Aug 12 2017, 04:00 PM)
Hi, I am curious how this has worked in the long term, for those of you who have tried the heating solution? I have an 05 XC90 and I love the car overall but the sound system has these same goofy issues and that aspect is driving me nuts. Thanks

I can't believe this actually worked. Thanks for sharing.

QuoteReply
Amullenix84
post Dec 11 2017, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 234,857
Drives: 2005 Volvo XC90 T5 AWD

I recently purchased my XC90 back in March, so far I love it, except this damn issue with the radio that it's had since I bought it. It'll randomly turnoff while driving, not turn on when I start the car, stay on for extended periods of time after the car is turned off, sometimes the parking sensors work and sometimes they don't. I took it to the dealership and they basically said I had to get a new radio (ICM) for $1000. As it got closer to summer time probably around the end of May, I noticed that it hadn't done it in a while. Everytime I started my car, it worked. Everytime I turned the car off, it shut off. Everytime I was backing up, the parking sensors worked. I thought that maybe there was a bug and it worked it's self out. Everything worked perfect, up until about 2 months ago after we got our first couple cool fronts. Then it started doing it again. It started out as once every couple days, and now it's back to two or three times a day.

I've been looking into it and have read a lot about how the ICM goes bad in these cars and some people have had a lot worse issues that just the radio not working. But after it started doing it again, the only logical explanation of why it stopped working as normal is the cooler weather. I found it kind of funny that I stumbled across the thread because it makes the whole thing make sense now. My main question is, to all the people that pulled the ICM out and used a heart gun, how long did it last and did it ever start acting up again? I live in Central Florida so it gets pretty hot in the summer, so maybe the summer heat temporarily fixed the issue, but once it cooled down it came right back. Any input from someone who has tried this fix with long term success would be greatly appreciated!

This post has been edited by Amullenix84: Dec 11 2017, 10:33 PM

QuoteReply
cjrithner
post Jul 6 2018, 03:12 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 243,523
Drives: 2004 XC90 2.5T FWD

QUOTE (yriley @ Sep 15 2013, 08:02 AM)

I did this today and it worked like a charm! Bought a used Volvo xc90 with the radio dead, found this forum and gave it a try. I wasn't able to amass enough heat by just heating up the display circuit board through the vents, so instead I took everything apart and heated up the circuit boards directly. Still used a hair dryer, no heat gun necessary. Put it back together and everything works now! Thanks for posting this, saved me lots of $$$

QuoteReply
delfi87
post Apr 20 2019, 08:08 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 246,347
Drives: Volvo XC 90

QUOTE (cjrithner @ Jul 6 2018, 03:12 PM)
I did this today and it worked like a charm! Bought a used Volvo xc90 with the radio dead, found this forum and gave it a try. I wasn't able to amass enough heat by just heating up the display circuit board through the vents, so instead I took everything apart and heated up the circuit boards directly. Still used a hair dryer, no heat gun necessary. Put it back together and everything works now! Thanks for posting this, saved me lots of $$$

It`s really good car. I wish that Volvo will produce new someself electric car. And today I glad to drive Volvo XC 90 because it has light construction https://www.newkidscar.com/popular-vehicle-...0-construction/

QuoteReply
FREEBUSINESSES
post Mar 2 2020, 11:35 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 242,873
Drives: 05 XC90 06 S40

Curious, does anyone know if rear AM/FM tuner presents similar symptoms of no AM/FM but CD works fine. I changed display head, no difference, screen lights up for second then goes off on AM/FM mode, but not CD, and display lights fine for CD operation. Changing head made no difference, changed out radio, no difference either. So I am at a loss. Any ideas from anyone on this forum.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Need Advice On Buying Volvo
1 danielwallace 956 3rd August 2020 - 07:14 AM
Last post by: Yomanew
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHelp: Manual Shifter Binding When Moving Into Neutral
shifer problems
11 GP-s40-t5 6,476 1st July 2020 - 10:12 PM
Last post by: GP-s40-t5
No New Posts Xc90 3.2 Engine Swap
0 FREEBUSINESSES 598 14th June 2020 - 12:29 PM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES
No New Posts Need Advice On Buying Volvo
Need advice
0 danielwallace 2,178 25th May 2020 - 06:22 AM
Last post by: danielwallace
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsXc90 Parasitic Draw
xc90 parasitic draw
16 roadster99 36,230 16th April 2020 - 05:30 AM
Last post by: Mr.Tango

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 8th August 2020 - 04:20 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.