Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Should I Buy This V70 ?, I am thinking of Purchasing a used V70
ATO
post Nov 17 2020, 04:28 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 251,601
Drives: 2006 Volvo V70 D5 Sport

Hi all

I am hoping somebody can help me with some advice.

I have recently arrived in the UK from South Africa, about three weeks ago, I have immigrated here with my Family.

I need a car rather urgently to get my kids to school as well as get around for work once lockdown ends
but due to all the restrictions and rules etc. with a new person in the UK it will take quite a while before i am able to get financing
for a new car.

I have been looking for something I can afford to tide me over or even keep but also ticks the most boxes so to speak and have so far come short.

I have to also add, I have never owned a volvo and I am not very mechanically inclined but i have always liked how they look
and have only heard good things about them.

An opportunity to purchase a volvo has just come to my attention and i thought i would get some advice.

Someone is selling a 2006 Volvo V70 D5 Sport, Diesel, Dark Blue Exterior, Beige leather interior, 5 Speed Manual Gearbox with 240 000 Miles done for £1200.

I have checked the registration on the DVLA webite and over the past few years it has failed a few MOT's but a few days after failing Passed, so i am assuming the things it failed on were repaired. The items mentioned in the failed MOT's were mostly rubbers, bushes and seals, nothing mechanically major.

It has gone in for a new MOT today and failed on the license plate being loose, the handbrake needing adjustment and a leak on the power steering pump and will need new tires in a few months time.

The owner has sent it in to have these items repaired and then will sell it after it passes the MOT, the tires i will sort out myself.

Most review searches and youtube videos all just claim this car to be "bulletproof" and a "family tank" and while interesting, not very informative.

What should I be aware of or look out for ? I am viewing the car on friday and will be taking it for a test drive.

The owner claims that he is only selling it because he has bought his mates old E350 Mercedes and his kids are older and her now has no need for a family wagon.

Any advice would be appreciated, I am aware i am buying an older car for cheap and not expecting it to be some infallible miracle but also cannot afford to buy a lump that will end up being a money sink but am happy to look after it and keep it going if it's affordable to do so.

I have attached a picture that I have of the car for reference.

Attached File  volvov70.jpg ( 166.98K ) Number of downloads: 2

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 18 2020, 11:56 AM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 2002 Volvo V70 D5 S

v70's are good cars that will go on and on, provided maintenance is done, if the power steering pump is leaking, unless the current owner is replacing it, expect to replace it soon at about £300 for parts, aside from that i cant see anything wrong with it, my last v70 was a 2002 D5 and that had a leaky pump, i had to replace that fairly soon, but that was 3 years ago now, the last mot cost me a little, but that was brake pads and discs all round, a front ball joint and suspension drop arms, all parts that need replacement occasionally. as long as the engine sounds smooth, then i would go for it.

QuoteReply
ATO
post Nov 18 2020, 03:05 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Nov 18 2020, 04:56 PM)
v70's are good cars that will go on and on, provided maintenance is done, if the power steering pump is leaking, unless the current owner is replacing it, expect to replace it soon at about £300 for parts, aside from that i cant see anything wrong with it, my last v70 was a 2002 D5 and that had a leaky pump, i had to replace that fairly soon, but that was 3 years ago now, the last mot cost me a little, but that was brake pads and discs all round, a front ball joint and suspension drop arms, all parts that need replacement occasionally. as long as the engine sounds smooth, then i would go for it.

I have the Full MOT history from the DVLA website and he says it has a full service history which i will check in the service book when i see the car tomorrow.

Here is a list of all the items that caused a Fail on the MOT, which he then repaired for it to pass the MOT.

@ 36,888 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- NONE

@ 51,329 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- ALL REPAIRED AFTER ADVISORY

front tyres worn on inner edges
unable to check inner brake pads
slight play in n/s/f wheel

@ 56,566 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- ALL REPAIRED AFTER ADVISORY

Nearside front brake juddering slightly (3.7.A.2b)
osf and osr tyres have cuts in the tread less than 25mm

@ 57,023 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- ALL REPAIRED AFTER ADVISORY

Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.E.1)
n/s/f tyre has a cut not excess of the requirements and not deep enough to reach the ply or cords

@ 98,798 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- ALL REPAIRED AFTER ADVISORY

Offside Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in the engine bay

@ 110,426 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- ALL REPAIRED AFTER ADVISORY

Both front tyres worn on inner edges may need replacement soon

@ 128,914 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- NONE

@ 163,378 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- NONE

@184,193 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- NONE

@ 203,100 miles - FAILED - Reason(s) for failure - ALL REPAIRED AFTER MOT FAIL TO PASS THE MOT RETEST

Offside Rear Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (4.1.D.1a) Dangerous
Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

Advisory notice item(s)- ALL REPAIRED AFTER ADVISORY

Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (3.5.1g)

@203,100 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- NONE

@230,476 miles - FAILED - Reason(s) for failure - ALL REPAIRED AFTER MOT FAIL TO PASS THE MOT RETEST

Rear exhaust mount bracket broken

@ 241,614 miles - FAILED - Reason(s) for failure - ALL REPAIRED AFTER MOT FAIL TO PASS THE MOT RETEST

Offside Headlamp aim too low (1.8)
Nearside Stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Offside Front Lower Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)

Nearside Front Tyre worn close to the legal limit 225/45/17 (4.1.E.1)

@251,919 miles - FAILED - Reason(s) for failure - ALL REPAIRED AFTER MOT FAIL TO PASS THE MOT RETEST

Nearside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (4.4.3 (a))
Offside Front Direction indicator incorrect colour (4.4.3 (a))
Nearside Side repeater missing (4.4.1 (a) (ii))
Front Service brake excessively fluctuating (1.2.1 (e))
Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (i))

Oil leak, but not excessive engine (8.4.1 (a) (i))
Nearside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (i))
Offside Rear Coil spring corroded (5.3.1 ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (i))
handbrake travel high

@ 263,106 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)- NONE

@ 270,446 miles - FAILED - Reason(s) for failure - ALL REPAIRED AFTER MOT FAIL TO PASS THE MOT RETEST

Nearside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of a single lamp or all lamps (4.7.1 ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) (ii))
Offside Parking (secondary brake) on a single line braking system has inadequate effort at a wheel (1.3.1 (a) (i))

@ 263,159 miles - Passed - Advisory notice item(s)ALL REPAIRED Today

Power steering pump seal leaking

My apologies if this is too much info

This post has been edited by ATO: Nov 18 2020, 03:13 PM

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 19 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

not really, it shows tthat any work required was done to a reasonable standard, if the power steering pump is leaking then it can be replaced quite reasonably and considering the reasonable price asked shouldnt be a major issue - just something to keep an eye on, all of the other issues I can see on that list are about what you would expect for the mileage, and pretty much match the things i have done on my older (but lower mileage ) car. the issue with the bulbs is that they are the ones with an orange wash over the bulb, this coating eventually cracks off, in fact I needed to replace mine last year on the MOT. I dont see any major parts that are regularly replaced that are missing off that list, so its down to seeing how well it drives, and how comfortable you feel with it.

QuoteReply
ATO
post Nov 21 2020, 03:51 PM
Post #5

Well, Thanks for all the info, I decided to go ahead with it and I bought it today.

Mechanically the car seems to be in great condition, it drives well so far, no funny noises and no weird movements, knocks or vibrations.

The interior is very worn and the exterior needs some love too, so in time I will attend to these little things, just need to figure out the most affordable way to do it.

If I can do it myself I just need to find out where to get affordable spares etc.

The owner did not have the service history book or the car's manual so I will have to source a manual online.

As for the service history, it worried me that he did not have it but, I have the Full MOT history from the DVLA website and he gave me the number of the Mechanic that he has been
using for this car since he got it, so I can call him for a history of the car's services if I need it.

Can anybody recommend a good place for spares or even a junkyard/scrapyard in Hampshire, South England ?

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 22 2020, 02:30 AM
Post #6

Veteran
Group Icon

I use these people for new parts- http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/ never had a problem with the quality of the parts.

QuoteReply
V4T
post Nov 22 2020, 12:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 211,066
Drives: 2001 Volvo V40 T4

I think you'll be fine with the car despite the 200+k miles if its running smoothly and "no funny noises". The D5 can do some big mileages if well maintained. Just expect to keep up maintenance and a number of replacement of some running gear parts.

I had a D5 which I drove for about 15k miles and it never put a foot wrong. Hardly needed a thing. I replaced it with the T5 for 3 years. Bought it at 110k miles and did 50k in it. The T5 needed a new ECU soon within the fist 6 months, but otherwise, it was generally reliable. It had usual maintenance items replaced including ball joints, bushes, brakes etc plus a couple of sensors. I didn't think it was that great in the corners but I liked the engine. Quicker than the D5, but the D5 was still pretty powerful and responsive.

I can't help with advice re places to get spares in Hampshire as I'm from up north, but all the best with the car.

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Nov 22 2020, 01:17 PM
Post #8

Veteran
Group Icon

i did (prior to the mess that has been this year ) 33,000 miles a year in mine, since march i have only done about 1000 miles.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Buy Real Registered Passport, Drivers License, ( Https://quickydocs.com ) Birth Certificate, Id Card And Diplomats. Buy Ielts Certificate Without Exam
0 buypassportonline 4 Today, 03:28 AM
Last post by: buypassportonline
No New Posts V70 Keeps Dying At Intersections?
I’m just a girl I don’t know much about cars pls help
1 haleym 3,747 16th September 2020 - 06:13 AM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Buying A 2007 Volvo V50 D5 180 Geartronic
0 whisky42 1,626 24th August 2020 - 10:55 AM
Last post by: whisky42
No New Posts Buying Advice - 2nd Gen Vs 3rd Gen
5 Boff 3,506 8th June 2020 - 05:31 AM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Buying My First Car. Need Advice
1 reytad 9,428 13th February 2020 - 12:39 AM
Last post by: Lachlan H.

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 27th November 2020 - 06:59 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.