Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 1998 S40 2.0t No Engine Power, No engine power. No error codes. Catalytic converter overheating.
B4NK5Y
post Oct 17 2020, 05:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 251,311
Drives: 2006 Xc90 , 1998 S40T

My S40 has been garaged for ten years with a blown turbo. My son sourced a second hand t4 turbo and installed in the car. The car has almost no power. I can drive it around at 20km/hr but struggled to go up a small hill or even get up the car ramps. The catalytic converter got so hot the the carpet etc in the car started smoking and melting. There are no errors on the OBD/ECU. (I did have coil/misfire errors but the plastic plugs were not seating properly to the coils and I fixed that and reset ECU. I'm not a mechanic but am happy to give anything a go. There was no boost showing up on OBD and I couldn't hear the turbo spool.I checked the 'new' turbo and it was shot so I rebuilt it and put it back in car. Turbo now spools and get boost on OBD but car symptoms are the same. No power, overheating Cat (I didn't let it get too hot but my inexperienced eye tells me it's getting too hot too quick - can't hold finger on interior floor of car). I am supprised that I am getting no errors on the OBD. Any ideas what I should attack first? What could be wrong that wouldn't cause an ECU error? I also did the PCB system while I was under the bonnet. Not sure if it's normal for this car but it splashes a lot of oil out if you open the oil cap while running. I don't get that on my 2.5T but that does have some angled flanges under the cap that look like they are there to stop oil splashing. Any advice appreciated. Want to get the car back on the road for my son. Thanks
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
B4NK5Y
post Oct 18 2020, 05:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 251,311
Drives: 2006 Xc90 , 1998 S40T

Fixed. At some point the HT leads had been swapped over and wasn't firing on 1 and 2
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1995-2004) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Engine Air Filter
Are these washable?
0 Cal Evans 1,795 24th September 2020 - 03:34 PM
Last post by: Cal Evans
No New Posts Noisy Ac Compressor That Works
A/C
9 outofworkjoe 5,638 2nd September 2020 - 04:10 PM
Last post by: ishmot
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsNo Mount For Slave Cylinder
0 ddininio 26,549 9th April 2020 - 06:45 PM
Last post by: ddininio
No New Posts Power Steering Fluid
Full synthetic?
0 Paul1963 24,081 2nd April 2020 - 10:06 AM
Last post by: Paul1963
No New Posts No Start Just Clicks..
im sure this topic has been covered before , however??
1 jaimster 6,686 6th March 2020 - 02:00 AM
Last post by: Platypup

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th October 2020 - 09:41 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.