Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Wet Wet Wet, water ingress but where from ?
volvogary
post Nov 28 2018, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 244,985
Drives: 2010 volvo xc60

had to replace thermostat recently, at one point reaching down to flip the hood release inside the car felt the carpet was wet.reading the forums guided me to remove the carpets and about eight gallons of water!! the drivers side sun roof drain was clogged, I couldn't quite reach the elbow, doesn't seem as accessible as xc90. managed to cut the drain tube use an airline to blow out any obstruction which got the drain flowing again, the passenger side seemed ok. Put the drivers side carpet back to protect all that spaghetti whilst driving but didn't replace passenger side , waiting for the rear carpet/foam to dry out. So happy to drive in rain now, not! heavy rain on the way to work and I could see the passenger well forming a puddle. Seemed to be running down the bulkhead. Anyway next day fine weather had to drive about an hour away, everything fine untill not five minutes in to the drive back and I get every warning possible air bag, brakes, transmission, pull over and the thing won't shut down. Only option is to drive carefully home as the brakes were braking ok and it seemed like a sensor failure rather than actual mechanical. Driving along the speedo doesn't work but the tacho does, the auto isn't working staying in one gear, I moved into manual and it indicated in third, which wasn't too bad, kept the revs below 4500 and limped home, managed to shut it off by repeatedly tapping the button. Had some lunch , went back out side ,key in started up, one error message airbag, everything seemed to be working again. Didn't chance the drive to work, used my alternative. Anybody any suggestions? Has the water messed up the electrics is there anywhere else apart from the drain tubes to invite a flood ?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Nov 28 2018, 03:15 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (volvogary @ Nov 28 2018, 11:17 AM)
had to replace thermostat recently, at one point reaching down to flip the hood release inside the car felt the carpet was wet.reading the forums guided me to remove the carpets and about eight gallons of water!! the drivers side sun roof drain was clogged, I couldn't quite reach the elbow, doesn't seem as accessible as xc90. managed to cut the drain tube use an airline to blow out any obstruction which got the drain flowing again, the passenger side seemed ok. Put the drivers side carpet back to protect all that spaghetti whilst driving but didn't replace passenger side , waiting for the rear carpet/foam to dry out. So happy to drive in rain now, not! heavy rain on the way to work and I could see the passenger well forming a puddle. Seemed to be running down the bulkhead. Anyway next day fine weather had to drive about an hour away, everything fine untill not five minutes in to the drive back and I get every warning possible air bag, brakes, transmission, pull over and the thing won't shut down. Only option is to drive carefully home as the brakes were braking ok and it seemed like a sensor failure rather than actual mechanical. Driving along the speedo doesn't work but the tacho does, the auto isn't working staying in one gear, I moved into manual and it indicated in third, which wasn't too bad, kept the revs below 4500 and limped home, managed to shut it off by repeatedly tapping the button. Had some lunch , went back out side ,key in started up, one error message airbag, everything seemed to be working again. Didn't chance the drive to work, used my alternative. Anybody any suggestions? Has the water messed up the electrics is there anywhere else apart from the drain tubes to invite a flood ?

the water will have done this only way to deal with it was drain both sides under your seats.

QuoteReply
volvogary
post Dec 16 2018, 08:32 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 244,985
Drives: 2010 volvo xc60

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Nov 28 2018, 03:15 PM)
the water will have done this only way to deal with it was drain both sides under your seats.

thank you, I have removed all carpets front and rear, passenger side drain needed attention also. Problem I'm seeing now is that the bulkhead insulation is still soggy, pushing my finger between it and the bulkhead I can squeeze it like a sponge. Electronics are all around this. Same on the drivers side. I'm getting a code U0073 that is suggesting control module contacts bad, from the water , obviously Daniel. Thing is I don't know where to look for offending module/s to clean and dry. I took it on a short twenty mile run the other day and not far from home the speedo stopped I was getting braking/airbag/trans faults and eventually it slowed to a halt. turned it off and back on and it did restart but it was sluggish, then picked up. Was able to limp home then took a few attempts to shut it down. Any help would be appreciated. The dealership are not my preferred port of call but will be my last resort. There is a class action against Volvo in New Jersey for this but doesn't include the CX60 for some reason I'll be looking into.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Dec 17 2018, 06:19 AM
Post #4

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (volvogary @ Dec 16 2018, 08:32 AM)
thank you, I have removed all carpets front and rear, passenger side drain needed attention also. Problem I'm seeing now is that the bulkhead insulation is still soggy, pushing my finger between it and the bulkhead I can squeeze it like a sponge. Electronics are all around this. Same on the drivers side. I'm getting a code U0073 that is suggesting control module contacts bad, from the water , obviously Daniel. Thing is I don't know where to look for offending module/s to clean and dry. I took it on a short twenty mile run the other day and not far from home the speedo stopped I was getting braking/airbag/trans faults and eventually it slowed to a halt. turned it off and back on and it did restart but it was sluggish, then picked up. Was able to limp home then took a few attempts to shut it down. Any help would be appreciated. The dealership are not my preferred port of call but will be my last resort. There is a class action against Volvo in New Jersey for this but doesn't include the CX60 for some reason I'll be looking into.

water may be coming from your window rubbers ,try using a carpet drier on the under seal.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC60 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Wet Drivers Carpet
3 wellskint 77,501 30th January 2020 - 02:06 PM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Wet Rear Carpets
1 Hobbit31 1,744 22nd August 2018 - 01:01 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Wet In Trunk
11 jim getman 6,222 3rd November 2016 - 09:30 AM
Last post by: as400jockey
No New Posts Wet Floor Under Car Matt ,drivers Side
2 bhhardgr 3,601 4th May 2011 - 12:08 PM
Last post by: davem
No New Posts Wet In The Back Seat Floor
1 jmd 2,806 23rd April 2011 - 08:37 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 24th October 2020 - 11:46 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.