Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> '05 S60 140k Miles Ready For Shocks And Struts?
LiteWait
post Jul 26 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,052
Drives: xc90

Maybe this is an obvious question, going to check to the previous owners very complete maintenance records, but at 140k I am assuming struts and shocks are getting long in the tooth, right?

I'd like a better ride and I've heard this is the best way to smooth out the bumps and increase handling.

In fact when I look at the top of the strut mount in the engine compartment the rubber ring seems to have a gap in it, doesn't seem to have any play when I drive the car but I feel like I am living on borrowed time.

I've seen complete KYB kits for around $500 which I may try and do myself, I am sure the dealer will rake me for at least a twice that anyway.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Jul 27 2014, 12:36 PM
Post #2

Expert

Group: Members
Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

When my S60 had one (1) leaking rear shock at 222,000 miles, I broke down and replaced all Shocks and Struts (whether they needed replacement or not) . . . . maybe just for balance ?

I think Shocks and Struts are one of the few items that truly wear out based upon your own driving habits and the roads conditions where you travel. You might be due at 140,000; but that is going to be a personal judgement call.

I'm in Real Estate and drive many back roads, gravel and dirt; but I drive slow and carefully so as to minimize the number of times I need to be towed out of a ditch.

When I did do the replacement, I used Monroe products . . . . Sensatrac Shocks 39040 in the rear, and OESpectrum Struts 71485 in the front; and I paid my Mechanic for 1 Hours to mount them. Can't say that my ride was so much improved, and I'm probably the only one who would notice. He also replaced a spring on my Parking Brake Shoes which had allowed for an unrelated noise I experienced prior to the Shocks/Struts, so all is quiet now.

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Forum Virgin
9 [email protected] 17,657 5th November 2020 - 05:34 AM
Last post by: alex11
No New Posts Shocks
Nivomat shocks replacement
0 Zaldy 4,766 14th October 2020 - 05:07 AM
Last post by: Zaldy
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsS60 T5 Missing Front Parking Sensor
0 Santiagof1 1,926 29th September 2020 - 06:14 PM
Last post by: Santiagof1
No New Posts For Sale V60 T6 My14 Volvo
1 Global75 18,293 21st September 2020 - 03:39 AM
Last post by: Roman5Reigns
No New Posts Android Head Unit Xc60
0 Fgr444 27,928 15th April 2020 - 06:42 AM
Last post by: Fgr444

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 16th January 2021 - 01:08 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.