Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Looking At Buying A Volvo?
qingqin
post Aug 21 2016, 12:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 174,809
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD

I'm looking to buy my first car, and I've heard that Volvos were the most reliable and safest. I'm 22, female and don't know much about cars, so I'm a bit nervous about this whole car buying thing. The volvo I'm looking at is a 1991, four door, white, black leather seats, about 175,000kms. I believe it's a front wheel drive. I will forsure be bringing a male friend with me to the dealership, but he's already told me that he doesn't know much about those cars. Any information you could give me about them would be VERY much appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Aug 21 2016, 03:06 AM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (qingqin @ Aug 21 2016, 01:21 AM)
I'm looking to buy my first car, and I've heard that Volvos were the most reliable and safest. I'm 22, female and don't know much about cars, so I'm a bit nervous about this whole car buying thing. The volvo I'm looking at is a 1991, four door, white, black leather seats, about 175,000kms. I believe it's a front wheel drive. I will forsure be bringing a male friend with me to the dealership, but he's already told me that he doesn't know much about those cars. Any information you could give me about them would be VERY much appreciated.

you have done this story before.

QuoteReply
steviesmallfry
post Mar 13 2017, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 211,058
Drives: Honda Civic

I am eyeballing a 1989 Volvo 740 GL near my house. It's got 250k miles on it, but apparently has an issue where it bogs down with the headlights or heated seats on... any ideas what the issue could be? I will attach his posts.

..."Played with it for a little bit and got it running and driving, but there is an electrical fault somewhere in the computer. Engine fires right up and runs great: no leaking or burning of anything. All the windows, locks, sunroof and stereo all work. Even the heated seats still work! But when driving along if the lights or heated seats are on, the car bogs down and throws the check engine light on.

The reason that I'm selling is that the computer will NOT blink out the check engine code. It might be a simple wire disconnected, it might need major repairs, I don't know and I have other projects that are more worthy of my time than an old volvo. I originally traded a truck for it, so make me an offer of something cool to trade!"...
Attached File(s)
Attached File  volvo740.jpg ( 35.73K ) Number of downloads: 2

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Mar 14 2017, 08:01 AM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 2002 Volvo V70 D5 S

the short answer is that the check engine light will go on if the supply voltage drops too far, so I would think it was a case of either a dodgy battery, or maybe something dropping the voltage below a certain point (check connections, earths and fuses for good contact). also alternator output, if it is marginal that can lead to the voltage dropping under heavy use.

QuoteReply
steviesmallfry
post Mar 14 2017, 07:18 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (grendel1960 @ Mar 14 2017, 08:01 AM)
the short answer is that the check engine light will go on if the supply voltage drops too far, so I would think it was a case of either a dodgy battery, or maybe something dropping the voltage below a certain point (check connections, earths and fuses for good contact). also alternator output, if it is marginal that can lead to the voltage dropping under heavy use.

Thanks for the reply!! Would this car be worth the $1,000 OBO price he is asking for it?

There's also a 1986 740 Turbo Diesel, but the guy is asking $2700 and I am not sure I want a diesel...

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Mar 15 2017, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 2002 Volvo V70 D5 S

that all depends on how handy you are at doing any work yourself, if you take it to a mechanic, it could take a while to clear all the faults and cost as much as you pay for the car. If you can do it yourself, its just time, It would be worth going for a lesser offer to see if he will take it. really without seeing it its difficult to say, but if the engine and bodywork are good?
Its also worth checking the connector to the ECU - on one of my cars a slight screen leak meant that water ran down the inside of the car, in the top of the ECU, and puddled in the connector housing, this rotted through a couple of the wires in the connector, on that one I replaced the connector for 40 (the garage quoted over 400 to fit a new connector - it took me just over 2 hours, patiently one wire at a time).
so depending upon your skills, and how much time you want to put in - and offer accordingly.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Mar 15 2017, 09:15 AM
Post #7

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (steviesmallfry @ Mar 14 2017, 07:18 PM)
Thanks for the reply!! Would this car be worth the $1,000 OBO price he is asking for it?

There's also a 1986 740 Turbo Diesel, but the guy is asking $2700 and I am not sure I want a diesel...

cheaper to run a diesel , but if you can not work on it you will pay more in a garage.

QuoteReply
steviesmallfry
post Mar 30 2017, 09:47 AM
Post #8

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/6065388929.html

This is the listing for the Volvo I was talking about.

"Played with it for a little bit and got it running and driving, but there is an electrical fault somewhere in the computer. Engine fires right up and runs great: no leaking or burning of anything. All the windows, locks, sunroof and stereo all work. Even the heated seats still work! Vut when driving along if the lights or heated seats are on, the car bogs down and throws the check engine light on.

The reason that I'm selling is that the computer will NOT blink out the check engine code. It might be a simple wire disconnected, it might need major repairs, I don't know and I have other projects that are more worthy of my time than an old volvo. I originally traded a truck for it, so make me an offer of something cool to trade!"

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Mar 30 2017, 01:53 PM
Post #9

Expert

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

QUOTE (steviesmallfry)
". . . the computer will NOT blink out the check engine code . . ."

What's that mean . . . . he can't clear it ?

Take a OBD Code Reader (OBDI) with you and see what the car's On Board Diagnostic Codes are . . . . you can research them online after you return and see if they're serious.

Many Code Readers can clear the Codes . . . . but I wouldn't clear them for free because this guy would just snooker the next Buyer, and say it's not throwing any Codes.

I thought the guy wanted $2500 . . . . now the CL Ad says only $1000 ?

QuoteReply
steviesmallfry
post Mar 30 2017, 02:13 PM
Post #10

That other price was for the Turbo Diesel '86 740. I am assuming he can't clear the code.

The 740 has an on-board diagnostics tool, I believe, I wonder if he has bothered to use that?

In a private message he said he'd go as low as $850 for it.

This post has been edited by steviesmallfry: Mar 30 2017, 02:14 PM

QuoteReply
Ahmed22
post Jul 18 2018, 03:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 243,723
Drives: Suzuki

volvo is one of the most reliable vehicle at reasonable price

QuoteReply
evelynadam908
post Sep 19 2020, 04:09 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 251,067
Drives: honda civic

Have you checked on verifiedcouponcode.com?
I saw many kinds of Volvo when I was buying my car stuff from there, but I don't know which one you wanna buy,
and I don't have any idea about the price, I recommend you check there hope you will easily find your desired one.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo 740 Glt (1990) Overdrive Problem
Cannot always engage overdrive
0 remonannetti 622 23rd October 2020 - 10:59 AM
Last post by: remonannetti
No New Posts Volvo 240 Runs For Awhile Then Stalls
1 ishmot 3,578 3rd October 2020 - 04:13 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Volvo On Call
1 hberrada 3,605 29th September 2020 - 09:06 AM
Last post by: cranleighdavid
No New Posts Buying A 2007 Volvo V50 D5 180 Geartronic
0 whisky42 1,527 24th August 2020 - 10:55 AM
Last post by: whisky42
No New Posts Volvo 544
Help With some parts
0 JP Classics 8,331 13th August 2020 - 12:02 PM
Last post by: JP Classics

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th October 2020 - 08:04 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.