Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> 2004 V50 2.0d Dim Power Problems, DIM loses power under certain conditions - after alternator death
RobertP
post Jan 31 2020, 07:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 249,279
Drives: V50 2.0D 2004 6 Speed Manual Trans.

[This has been solved.
----------------------
Hi folks. I managed to solve this problem on my own (with the help of google) and hope this info might be useful to anyone experiencing strange electronics problems.

In addition to the above mentioned issues, yesterday my car simply wouldn't start. The wipers turned on by themselves. A clicking noise from the dashboard. We tried push starting and that didn't work either.

Luckily, these new symptoms led to this site via google. https://www.youcanic.com/guide/inter...-problems/3535

We removed the CEM by unplugging all the wires (1 hour). All the contacts looked clean and fine. But we sprayed them anyway. Tested every fuse and found one fuse to be burnt. Put it all back and voila, everything perfect. All issues solved! I never believed the CEM could be the problem. One year later............ finally my car's normal.
---------------------
]

Hello gurus.

Recently my car's alternator seized up and died. Immediately after repairs ... DIM issues started. DIM completely loses power when any of the following 3 conditions are met:

C1 - Either driver or front passenger door is NOT properly shut
C2 - Center light switch (above rear view mirror) is NOT in the center position
C3 - Brake pedal NOT pressed

In other words, DIM has no power when:
C1 - Driver or front passenger doors are open, OR
C2 - Center light switch (above rear view mirror) is set either right or left (not center) OR
C3 - Brake pedal released.

E.g. To check my gas level i'd have to press the brake in order to give power to the DIM.

UPDATE - Today my mechanic replaced the brake light switch (above the brake pedal) and now suddenly the DIM works while I'm driving and condition C3 is no longer applicable. Initially we thought C1,C2,C3 were caused by one problem - probably a grounding short, but clearly there are several issues, I suspect caused by / during alternator death burn process.
New additional symptoms:
S1 - DIM does not power up when key is inserted and turned to position 2. Radio is on. DIM powers up ONLY when engine has started
S2 - When turn signal is on, DIM lights go dimmer in sync with the flickering on and off

Just got back from Volvo who were not very interested and also refused to provide diagnostic error codes. They assume 1 & 2 are due to a grounding fault. I disagree due to condition C3 being resolved with a new brake switch. Hence my thinking is C1 & C2 are due to some other switch having also burned. My hunch is the FOOT LAMP because (A) when a front door is opened or ((IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) center light switch (above RV mirror) is in left / right position, then Foot Lamp should light up.

Question - where is this switch located and how can it be replaced? Also, considering the new symptoms S1 & S2 I'm very confused. Any help appreciated

I'm an IT professional so very little car repair skills and my mechanic is quite old school with little knowledge of electronics. Simple instructions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - repairing this car at a Volvo dealership is out of the question because it would be too expensive - probably more than the value of the car itself.

Thanks in advance folks
Rob

This post has been edited by RobertP: Apr 7 2020, 09:45 AM
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Platypup
post Feb 1 2020, 01:45 AM
Post #2

Senior

Member No.: 24,285
Drives: Volvo V50 T5 AWD, Toyota RAV4, MG TC, Jaguar E-type

While the alternator was being fixed the battery earth would have been disconnected. Possibly this and reconnecting may have led to a glitch in the lighting control module. Try the trick that an IT man like yourself should have used many times. Disconnect the earth, wait a minute or two and reconnect to reboot the modules and you may be lucky. I cannot see how a connection in the cabin lights or DIM may have loosened or grounded from working on the alternator. Grounding should have blown a fuse so obviously these best be checked. The electronics in these cars is very complicated as shown in the following attachment.

Attached File  S40MY2005_Electrical.pdf ( 1.32MB ) Number of downloads: 1

QuoteReply
RobertP
post Apr 7 2020, 09:44 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 249,279
Drives: V50 2.0D 2004 6 Speed Manual Trans.

Hi folks. I managed to solve this problem on my own (with the help of google) and hope this info might be useful to anyone experiencing strange electronics problems.

In addition to the above mentioned issues, yesterday my car simply wouldn't start. The wipers turned on by themselves. A clicking noise from the dashboard. We tried push starting and that didn't work either.

Luckily, these new symptoms led to this site via google. https://www.youcanic.com/guide/inter...-problems/3535

We removed the CEM by unplugging all the wires (1 hour). All the contacts looked clean and fine. But we sprayed them anyway. Tested every fuse and found one fuse to be burnt. Put it all back and voila, everything perfect. All issues solved! I never believed the CEM could be the problem. One year later............ finally my car's normal.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V50 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Power Steering Fluid
Full synthetic?
0 Paul1963 22,612 2nd April 2020 - 10:06 AM
Last post by: Paul1963
No New Posts 2004 Xc90 Radio Compatibility Question
4 junkprospector 5,419 21st February 2020 - 06:16 PM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES
No New Posts 2004 Xc90 Radio
radio shuts down
1 bpacker780 1,908 21st February 2020 - 06:08 PM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES
No New Posts Power Drop 5th And 6th Gear
Power drop help
0 Brysiem 8,933 24th November 2019 - 04:54 AM
Last post by: Brysiem
No New Posts 2004 Xc90 T5 Transmission Dipstick
0 Kathy S 3,453 18th July 2019 - 01:29 AM
Last post by: Kathy S

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st May 2020 - 08:39 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.