Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Car Won't Start, Start prevented, try again
Berrymaleek
post Oct 4 2018, 02:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 244,555
Drives: 2005 Volvo S60

My Volvo S60 won't even crank, it says start prevented try again, I took it down to my mechanic to help me check on the radio because it has been going on and off for a while and finally didn't come on again, I drive it down to his shop but trying to diagnose what could have happened by changing the battery, testing all fuses (which were all functioning well), confirming the relays are fine, then we tried starting and it says on the scanner "ECM 720A, immobilizer communication" please any helpful way out will be really appreciated
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
grendel1960
post Oct 4 2018, 07:30 AM
Post #2

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 16,314
Drives: 2002 Volvo V70 D5 S

sounds like removing the battery has set the immobilizer into stop mode, there is a process to reset this (is it 5 on / off attempts or something) though reading online it may be a starter motor issue (others have had similar and its been the starter motor)

QuoteReply
FREEBUSINESSES
post Oct 20 2018, 10:50 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 242,873
Drives: 05 XC90 06 S40

QUOTE (Berrymaleek @ Oct 4 2018, 03:53 AM)
My Volvo S60 won't even crank, it says start prevented try again, I took it down to my mechanic to help me check on the radio because it has been going on and off for a while and finally didn't come on again, I drive it down to his shop but trying to diagnose what could have happened by changing the battery, testing all fuses (which were all functioning well), confirming the relays are fine, then we tried starting and it says on the scanner "ECM 720A, immobilizer communication" please any helpful way out will be really appreciated

Recently had same issue, and given all these modules use fiber optic passthrough, you never know which module is impacting another, a nightmare to diagnose in many cases, and impossible without diagnostic tool. In my case, no crank no start turned out to be key transceiver went bad, so if you have tried second key or not, start there. You can narrow down problem by trying second key, but in my case I didn't have back up key, so got screwed by dealer for $550. for new key, so with cost of tow, then waiting 6 weeks for them to even get it in shop to confirm my diagnosis, then having to order key from Sweden as dealer did not have one in stock, two more weeks waiting, this is insane, so be prepared. I replaced starter, relay, fuses, tried the turn key in door five times lock and unlock, disconnected battery, connected cables together overnight, tried every trick on the internet with no help, changed halo receiver, ignition switch, all the less expensive options before succumbing to another tow and high cost of programming new key. With Volvo's, it always turns out to be most expensive repair in my experience.

This post has been edited by FREEBUSINESSES: Oct 20 2018, 10:55 AM

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Car Won't Shut Off. Need Help Please!
Car goes into SAFETY MODE
0 Roniarnpc 13,226 28th January 2020 - 09:04 PM
Last post by: Roniarnpc
No New Posts Start Prevented
Start fails on first attempt w/txt messg
22 cnomann 44,227 11th August 2019 - 12:41 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Car Won't Start, Try Turning Steering Wheel... ?
Steering Lock Issue ?
1 VolvoRod 5,164 15th May 2019 - 02:26 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No new Starting Problems
Intermitent Starting problems
27 hutchinson440 134,674 17th June 2018 - 02:59 PM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES
No New Posts Car Lights And Accessories
For sale
0 Steve_ken 1,937 23rd April 2018 - 10:54 AM
Last post by: Steve_ken

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 8th August 2020 - 12:55 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.