Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Drain & Fill Vs. Flush For Transmission
post Mar 19 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,335

I have decided to replace the transmission fluid in my 2001 S60 2.4t with Mobil 3309 (thanks to everyone for the help on this decision, I decided "lifetime fluid" was more of a risk than new fluid....so I am changing it).

I currently have 108K miles on the original fluid (previous owner did not change it) and of course it is dark brown. I would like to get some opinions from those who have done the Drain & Fill method. This will be a project I will complete myself at home (seems to easy to waste my money at the dealer) and I am really leaning towards the drain and fill method with 12 quarts of JW3309. Any reason why the drain and fill would work as well as the flush method?

Just curious how the drain & fill worked out for those who have done it. I just had another software upgrade and I would really like to go ahead and get some new fluid in the Transmission. I am not worried about the volvo mystery synthetic/JW3309 because I have weighed all the MANY discussions and decided Mobil 3309 sounds good to me....

Thanks for all the Help!! :beer:
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
S_E
post Mar 22 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,813
Drives: R31 Nissan Skyline, JZX100 Toyota Chaser

I'd drain and fill, then drive arond for few minutes, then drain and fill again. Drain and fill won't drain the fluid that is in the torque converter, which is about half of it, while a flush does, but if you drain and fill twice you should get at least 3/4 or the fluid changed which is pretty good.

QuoteReply
post Mar 22 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #3

Do you think a drain & fill would flush out the torque converter if it was done 3 or more times? I had planned on doing the process 3 times in a row and using about 12 quarts of Mobil 3309.

Thanks!

QuoteReply
S_E
post Mar 23 2007, 03:04 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,813
Drives: R31 Nissan Skyline, JZX100 Toyota Chaser

Yep that will be fine.

QuoteReply
post Mar 28 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Received my 12 quarts of Mobil 3309 today . I am planning on doing the drain and fill sometime this week when I do my oil change. My plans are to:

1. Drain ATF fluid
2. Fill with new fluid (approx. the amount that came out from draining)
3. Drive the car through all of the gears about 5 minutes.
4. Repeat this process 2 more times (which would equal 3 times draining and filling)

Does this sound like a good plan? I would rather do it all at once rather than over the next three oil changes. Will this method work enough to replace all the old fluid with new fluid?

Thanks!

QuoteReply
ShawnT316
post Nov 28 2009, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 42,667
Drives: 2002 S60 AWD

QUOTE (NCS60 @ Mar 28 2007, 12:59 PM)
Received my 12 quarts of Mobil 3309 today . I am planning on doing the drain and fill sometime this week when I do my oil change. My plans are to:

1. Drain ATF fluid
2. Fill with new fluid (approx. the amount that came out from draining)
3. Drive the car through all of the gears about 5 minutes.
4. Repeat this process 2 more times (which would equal 3 times draining and filling)

Does this sound like a good plan? I would rather do it all at once rather than over the next three oil changes. Will this method work enough to replace all the old fluid with new fluid?

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread . . . but I plan on doing this again today, about 3 years ago, I used 16 qts, and did it four times, each time you will get about 4 qts out . . . fill drive for five min, drain repeat, I figured I got about 90% out, because when you drive it, the new gets mixed with the old, so your dumping about 25% of the new on the second drain . . .

I hope this helps someone who doesn't mind skipping the dealers $800 flush!

QuoteReply
V70Addict
post Oct 12 2010, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 79,770
Drives: 2002 V70

Once you remove that 15/16 bolt to flush the tranny, wait for the red juice to stop coming out. Then, jack the driver side of the car as much as you can. It will flow for another 5 minutes, and you will be able to squeeze in 4 quarts of 3309 ATF by the dipstick hole...

QuoteReply
thebigsee
post Jun 20 2011, 05:57 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 91,120
Drives: 2007 Volvo S60 2.5T

I just did a flush/fill on my 2007 S60 by connecting a tube to the top of the radiator and pumping it out. First I got under the car and drained it, then filled it, then connected the tube to the radiator and pumped it out 2 quarts at a time, filling 2 quarts in after each pumping. Took about 3 hours including clean-up, incredibly simple, especially if you get the kit off ipdusa.com. Hardest part was getting the level correct afterwards. There are detailed instructions on this and other Volvo forums on how to do it. It just takes basic tools and a few hours, it's worth it.

QuoteReply
Rajoha
post Jul 1 2011, 09:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 81,432
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 2.4T

I've done the drain and fill on our 2001 S60, and it seems to work fine, although keep in mind you're mixing the old oil with the new, so there's always the question of how much is old and how much is new. I guess if you do the drain and fill method on a regular basis (with the 3309 spec ATF, of course) you'll do well.

The last time we did the transmission oil change I took it to our local mechanic (when the car is in North Austin, Dan's Automotive Center) and asked them if they could do the drain and fill (3x) method. They said they could, but they also have a transmission flushing machine. I told them the Volvo takes a special kind of oil and could I provide it to them. They said that would be fine, just bring them 16 quarts (as I remember), which I did. All went well, and I think by providing the oil myself I got the correct oil and got it done for a pretty reasonable price, and hopefully the flushing method is better than the drain and fill method.

By the way, I found it works pretty well going to the Toyota dealership and buying their Toyota T-IV ATF (also called T4), which I believe is the same as the Mobile 3309. The price and availability are very good for the Toyota T-IV ATF.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts For Sale V60 T6 My14 Volvo
1 Global75 7,312 21st September 2020 - 03:39 AM
Last post by: Roman5Reigns
No New Posts Forum Virgin
8 [email protected] 12,262 13th April 2020 - 08:50 PM
Last post by: 3aplus63Embot
No New Posts Drain Hoes
Where are they?
0 Alfesti 66,216 27th February 2020 - 04:14 AM
Last post by: Alfesti
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsFor Sale: 2013 Volvo S60 T5 – Black Stone/black – 53k Miles – San Francisco
0 CER237 15,010 8th July 2019 - 11:28 AM
Last post by: CER237
No New Posts Transmission Oil Fix Next Service
DASH WARNING MESSAGE?
0 FREEBUSINESSES 3,087 27th May 2019 - 09:54 AM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 26th September 2020 - 12:10 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.