Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Intermittent Stalling
vtwin_pilot
post Oct 4 2019, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 156,753
Drives: 2006 V70

My 2006 has been stalling intermittently for 6 mos or so. At first, it was accompanied by erratic idling at a light. So first things first, I replaced the plugs with OEM Volvo plugs, as it'd been two years since the last plug change. The choppy idle totally went away, the stalling did not. It happens maybe once a week or two. Or this week, it happened once a day for three days straight. It almost always happened within the first 10 mins of having left the house. I almost was able to say that it always happened with the A/C on, but this week it happened with the A/C off.

It's my wife's car so I don't drive it much. These past 6 mos have been fairly hot here in Atlanta, but I'm not sure that has anything to do with it. About 3 mos ago, after it stalled, it threw a CEL, and the code was a P303, indicating a misfire in cylinder 3. Aha!, I thought, must be a bad coil. I swapped the #3 and #4 coils, hoping it'd then throw a P304 code. It didn't.

I replaced the coils anyway, given the car has 175k miles. I also cleaned the MAF and intake. The air filter is relatively new.

Googling and researching, it looks like these areas are potential things to look into and consider, more or less in order of ease/cost, from easiest/cheapest to hardest/expensive:
1. Camshaft position sensor
2. Crankshaft position sensor
3. Fuel pump relay
4. Fuel filter
5. Fuel pump

I've looked for the relay but can't seem to find it. Also, I looked for the fuel filter under the passenger side and it's not there, so I must have a model that has it in the tank.

Any thoughts/recommendations most appreciated. Also, I have the 5 old ignition coils that I'm happy to give to whoever wants them. I know for a fact four are good, and I suspect that the #3 coil is still good too. I'd just ask that you pay for shipping.

Many thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Family
post May 29 2021, 08:07 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 253,071
Drives: Volvo 245

Try replacing your MAF sensor- the elecrical soket on mine was loose and correded - solved the problem. Using 91 Octane and Castrol Edge Synthetic
2002 V70-T5
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent "bulb Failure" Rear Fog Light, But Bulb Is Good/works!
2 silent-circuit 5,945 12th May 2020 - 08:34 PM
Last post by: ParyGalmer
No New Posts Intermittent Starting V40 2003
0 trish 16,251 28th October 2019 - 07:47 AM
Last post by: trish
No New Posts Stalling
dies after cold start when load applied
1 Jim Adams 1,271 9th March 2017 - 07:05 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Intermittent Starting Issue - Dash Lights Go Out
Help! I'm at my wit's end!
1 John Formant 1,402 13th June 2016 - 09:07 PM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Intermittent Transmission Service Needed Indicator
1 Georgia Volvo Driver 1,708 9th May 2016 - 12:05 PM
Last post by: Vermont

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 22nd June 2021 - 03:25 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.