Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Wet In Trunk
jim getman
post Sep 7 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 61,470
Drives: 1986 volvo 740 GLE

Just bought a 1986 740 GLE. seems to be wet in trunk on both sides. wheel wells and rest of car in excellent shape, undercoated well etc.. I suspect water getting in at taillights.

I never had a 740. Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
EdinDC
post Sep 14 2009, 03:32 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 3,858
Drives: 2003 S60, 1989 740 sedan

Jim,
They're great cars, so good luck and enjoy. I don't have great insights -- just a few places to look. How's the rubber gasket that lines the trunk? And do you still have the metal strip with rubber at the end of the rear window / rear part of the trunk lid? I reglued mine in place when I first got the car since it was loose. Without it, I think water would get in the trunk from the rear window runoff. I've had a little moisture on rare occasion inside the tail lights but my trunk has stayed dry. Good luck hunting down the source

QuoteReply
jks2
post Sep 15 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,518
Drives: 2007 Mercedes C230 Sport, 2007 Chevrolet Equinox (Daughter), 2003 Saab 9-3 (Son), 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe (Tow Vehicle), 2000 Ranger R83 Bass Boat

If yours is anything like the 850 there is a drain that removes the water from the channel surrounding the trunk well. If that drain gets stopped up it could get in the trunk.

QuoteReply
post Sep 15 2009, 08:50 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 62,144

Let me guess, it's a sedan right? Probably a bad gasket around the taillights, also check the drains like others said. It could also just be that there is some dirt between the gaskets and the body. If it's the seals you'll probably also see water in the lights them selves.

QuoteReply
jim getman
post Sep 17 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #5

thanks for the ideas....the taillights do have water in them at times.
guess this means a gasket?

QuoteReply
post Sep 21 2009, 12:54 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 62,328

Butting in, can a gasket be bought or it has to be made?

QuoteReply
IC53
post Oct 29 2009, 10:15 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 49,368
Drives: 1989 Volvo 740 Turbo

Here is my experience, I have a 740 sedan:
I had water accumulating in the trunk and in the tailights. In my case,

1/ the tailights were getting moisture because of junk building up agains the gaskets, solution: pull of the taillights, clean all parts, put a thin coat of Vaseline on the gasket, drill very small holes 1/8 inch or smaller, through the bottom of the taillights to allow moisture to drain and install the taillights back in.

2/ The gasket that goes around the trunk against the trunk lid starts leaking water into the trunk through capilary action. Pull it off where it is loose, clean the metal parts, put a silicone sealer on the metal and into the seal, then push the seal back in place.

This solved my wet trunk...

QuoteReply
jim getman
post Oct 29 2009, 11:11 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (IC53 @ Oct 29 2009, 08:15 PM)
Here is my experience, I have a 740 sedan:
I had water accumulating in the trunk and in the tailights. In my case,

1/ the tailights were getting moisture because of junk building up agains the gaskets, solution: pull of the taillights, clean all parts, put a thin coat of Vaseline on the gasket, drill very small holes 1/8 inch or smaller, through the bottom of the taillights to allow moisture to drain and install the taillights back in.

2/ The gasket that goes around the trunk against the trunk lid starts leaking water into the trunk through capilary action. Pull it off where it is loose, clean the metal parts, put a silicone sealer on the metal and into the seal, then push the seal back in place.

This solved my wet trunk...

Thanks for the info... I'll try both items.

QuoteReply
post Nov 30 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 65,362

QUOTE (jim getman @ Oct 29 2009, 11:11 PM)

Thanks for the info... I'll try both items.

Well,
here's my experience.
6 times removed sedan tail lights and finally got it dry...
don't bother about the leaking gasket or foam seal, you won't get it tight and you only spend your money on expensive silicone products.
Water runs in from the top of the seal, accumulates in the reflectors and in the aquarium under and around the reflectors finally spilling over the edge of the light holes in the back of your trunk.

Remedy: dril small holes in the bottom of all of the reflectors and between the reflectors in the bottom of the black plastic housing.
Cost: nill effect: 100% dry trunk.

QuoteReply
post Dec 10 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 65,886

haha i have the same problem except im planning on building up my trunk with subs and amps etc etc and this has been stopping me from it because the water. im do all the following as well thank u man!

QuoteReply
rjohnson67
post Sep 30 2010, 05:59 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 79,307
Drives: 2005 S40, 1989 740gle

I had that exact same problem on my 89 740, used silicone to seal it up.

QuoteReply
as400jockey
post Nov 3 2016, 09:30 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 13,339
Drives: 2001 V70 T5

My son's 2002 S60 had an issue with water. After it rained, you needed to open the trunk lid slowly to let the water that had accumulated inside the trunk lid to drain. It was caused by a missing clip under the plastic panel fastened to the outside of the lid. The repair:

1. Remove plastic clips holding fuzzy cover on inside of the trunk lid.
2. Remove fuzzy cover.
3. Disconnect power to license plate lights.
4. Remove license plate.
5. Remove license plate bracket.
6. Slide the plastic trunk lid cover about an inch or two towards the passenger side.
7. Remove the cover.
8. Count how many broken clips you need to order (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
9. Wash the 15 years of crap and dead spiders off the trunk lid (the part that's under the cover.

There is an alignment pin in the very center of the trunk lid. It's not a clip, but you might think that it is. If you're ordering clips, it might be a good idea to just order one of these, too, since it could be part of the leak.

Both of the license light holder clips were broken, so while I was in there I duct taped them in place.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent "bulb Failure" Rear Fog Light, But Bulb Is Good/works!
2 silent-circuit 2,960 12th May 2020 - 08:34 PM
Last post by: ParyGalmer
No New Posts Instructions For Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing On 2012 S60 T6 R Design
1 zydeaner 43,423 4th April 2020 - 07:27 PM
Last post by: cuhfs1
No New Posts Wet Drivers Carpet
3 wellskint 73,520 30th January 2020 - 02:06 PM
Last post by: grendel1960
No New Posts Installing M47 5 Speed Transmission In A 4 Speed 242
0 Ed White 4,813 30th October 2019 - 06:30 AM
Last post by: Ed White
No New Posts Intermittent Starting V40 2003
0 trish 15,109 28th October 2019 - 07:47 AM
Last post by: trish

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 8th August 2020 - 04:49 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.