Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Help With Volvo 240 Ignition Troubleshooting Flow Chart?
123tim
post Nov 20 2019, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 222,273
Drives: Volvo 240

Hello,

I've been messing about with an intermittent ignition that I've been having on my 1988 Volvo 240 and have finally decided that it would go a lot faster if I asked for a little help.

I've been working on this problem for over a year now. The problem is that my car will loose spark at the distributor and then will suddenly start working at any point (seconds,hours,days, or months) for no apparent reason. It sometimes starts and runs well and will die without even a sputter while idling.

I finally discovered this flow chart located on this forum: https://www.volvo-forums.com/index.php?act=...ost&id=5403

In the flowchart, I've made it to the the third fail step where the hall effect sensor is disconnected and a wire is used to short connectors B and C on the wire connector that attaches to the sensor. I have the Chrysler ignition connector.

My questions at this point are these:
When I have the two points B and C connected together and I turn the on the ignition to the run position should I expect a single spark?
I assume that I don't need to go the extra step of cranking the engine?
Would it hurt to disconnect and reconnect the wire bridging B and C while the ignition switch is on to simulate the hall effect sensor turning on and off?

I don't seem to have a spark when I bridge the connection and then turn on the switch to the run position. I'm moving on to the next step which is to verify 12 volts on connection 15 of the ignition coil.

Thank you for any replies. I really appreciate any help or comments.
Regards,
Tim

This post has been edited by 123tim: Nov 20 2019, 02:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo 544
Help With some parts
0 JP Classics 164 13th August 2020 - 12:02 PM
Last post by: JP Classics
No New Posts Volvo S40 Reliability Question
1 HenryBraxton 5,666 12th August 2020 - 03:32 AM
Last post by: crocoyes8
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 544
0 JP Classics 485 10th August 2020 - 02:42 PM
Last post by: JP Classics
No New Posts Volvo Garages
Independent
0 C70wiltshire20 1,206 2nd August 2020 - 07:00 AM
Last post by: C70wiltshire20
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsHelp: Manual Shifter Binding When Moving Into Neutral
shifer problems
11 GP-s40-t5 6,827 1st July 2020 - 10:12 PM
Last post by: GP-s40-t5

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 15th August 2020 - 02:41 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.