Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Steering Lock "please Turn Wheel", No Start
Konamaster
post Aug 8 2018, 02:46 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 244,027
Drives: 2010 V50

I also had a steering lock problem. The car would not start no matter how often I jiggled the wheel.
After contacting volvo Cape Town they said I needed to replace the steering lock at a cost of ± R8000.00. Volvo in Somerset West quoted ± R6010.00.
I told them they were insane and here is how I fixed it.

1. Remove the drivers side, side dashboard panel. This is the one that connects the air blower to your door. You can just pull it off.
2. Remove the panel behind the centre console. It has four clips.
3. Remove the lower dashboard panel. It has 3 screws. One is to the right of the steering wheel and the other two are left and right just above the pedals.
4. Remove the lower steering column cover.
5. You will now see the steering lock box. It is attached with shear bolts in a near inaccessible way and it is pressed closed in such a way that makes it impossible to open.
There is a plug on the left which you should remove. Also move the wiring out of the way.
6. Get out your Dremel tool and cut the bottom off this box. Be careful because the pc board lies near the bottom of this box. I used 5 cutting discs.
7. Unscrew the pc board by loosening 2 screws. You will see a pc board with a small DC motor which turns a plastic gear. This gear has a spiral inside which raises or lowers the locking pin.
8. The problem with my steering lock was the relay on the pc board. The relay is used to switch the polarity of the current which makes the DC motor turn in the opposite direction.
This is how the locking pin is raised and lowered.
9. No one in South Africa would sell me a relay because the motor industry somehow protects itself.
10. Import relays from China. The relay ID is V23138. I have 10 of them so if anyone else has this problem, you're welcome to have one.
11. The 10 relays cost 50 cents each and the air freight came to R 521.00.
12. Replace the bottom of the box using cable ties. Make sure the plastic gear goes in square. Then tape it all up with masking tape to prevent dust entering.
13. It works perfectly every time.

Attached File  SlOpenCase.jpg ( 56.59K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  SlCover1.jpg ( 110.66K ) Number of downloads: 10

Attached File  SlBoardAndMotor.jpg ( 92.78K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  SlCoverWithGear.jpg ( 51.65K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  SlPinRingMotor.jpg ( 60.05K ) Number of downloads: 10

Attached File  SlBoardwNewRelays.jpg ( 62.54K ) Number of downloads: 12

Attached File  SlNewRelayIn.jpg ( 58.95K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  SlInstalledCableTie.jpg ( 53.22K ) Number of downloads: 7

Attached File  SlInstalledMaskingTape.jpg ( 41.76K ) Number of downloads: 4

Attached File  SlUnderSteeringFin.jpg ( 48.37K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  SlFinal.jpg ( 40.71K ) Number of downloads: 8

How on earth can Volvo ask me for R8000.00 to replace a part which has a faulty relay worth 50c? Do they have absolutely no respect for me as a customer?
How can a company claiming to care for the environment just throw out parts which are 99% good?
It is pure greed and no respect for customers or the environment. I have to say however that this applies to most big business in the world today.

We must fight this. Do not let the system beat you. We must have the right to repair!

Please email me at [email protected] if you need any help with this.

Chris Kona
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Fardenco
post Sep 18 2019, 02:34 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 248,029
Drives: Volvo C30

QUOTE (Konamaster @ Aug 8 2018, 09:46 PM)
I also had a steering lock problem. The car would not start no matter how often I jiggled the wheel.
After contacting volvo Cape Town they said I needed to replace the steering lock at a cost of ± R8000.00. Volvo in Somerset West quoted ± R6010.00.
I told them they were insane and here is how I fixed it.

1. Remove the drivers side, side dashboard panel. This is the one that connects the air blower to your door. You can just pull it off.
2. Remove the panel behind the centre console. It has four clips.
3. Remove the lower dashboard panel. It has 3 screws. One is to the right of the steering wheel and the other two are left and right just above the pedals.
4. Remove the lower steering column cover.
5. You will now see the steering lock box. It is attached with shear bolts in a near inaccessible way and it is pressed closed in such a way that makes it impossible to open.
There is a plug on the left which you should remove. Also move the wiring out of the way.
6. Get out your Dremel tool and cut the bottom off this box. Be careful because the pc board lies near the bottom of this box. I used 5 cutting discs.
7. Unscrew the pc board by loosening 2 screws. You will see a pc board with a small DC motor which turns a plastic gear. This gear has a spiral inside which raises or lowers the locking pin.
8. The problem with my steering lock was the relay on the pc board. The relay is used to switch the polarity of the current which makes the DC motor turn in the opposite direction.
This is how the locking pin is raised and lowered.
9. No one in South Africa would sell me a relay because the motor industry somehow protects itself.
10. Import relays from China. The relay ID is V23138. I have 10 of them so if anyone else has this problem, you're welcome to have one.
11. The 10 relays cost 50 cents each and the air freight came to R 521.00.
12. Replace the bottom of the box using cable ties. Make sure the plastic gear goes in square. Then tape it all up with masking tape to prevent dust entering.
13. It works perfectly every time.

Attached File  SlOpenCase.jpg ( 56.59K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  SlCover1.jpg ( 110.66K ) Number of downloads: 10

Attached File  SlBoardAndMotor.jpg ( 92.78K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  SlCoverWithGear.jpg ( 51.65K ) Number of downloads: 11

Attached File  SlPinRingMotor.jpg ( 60.05K ) Number of downloads: 10

Attached File  SlBoardwNewRelays.jpg ( 62.54K ) Number of downloads: 12

Attached File  SlNewRelayIn.jpg ( 58.95K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  SlInstalledCableTie.jpg ( 53.22K ) Number of downloads: 7

Attached File  SlInstalledMaskingTape.jpg ( 41.76K ) Number of downloads: 4

Attached File  SlUnderSteeringFin.jpg ( 48.37K ) Number of downloads: 9

Attached File  SlFinal.jpg ( 40.71K ) Number of downloads: 8

How on earth can Volvo ask me for R8000.00 to replace a part which has a faulty relay worth 50c? Do they have absolutely no respect for me as a customer?
How can a company claiming to care for the environment just throw out parts which are 99% good?
It is pure greed and no respect for customers or the environment. I have to say however that this applies to most big business in the world today.

We must fight this. Do not let the system beat you. We must have the right to repair!

Please email me at [email protected] if you need any help with this.

Chris Kona

You are THE man. Thank you for all those details.
About the shear screws, I was able to remove them by cutting a slot on them with a dremel, much easier to work on the thing on a bench. Also, because this whole system is controlling a steering lock and because of the reports of peoples telling that they had the wheel locked when driving, I would prefer to be careful and grind the tip of the lock, so it can still move and the computer is happy, but without ever again locking the wheel, even when it should.
Also, once on a bench it is much easier to carefully drill on the pressed parts than to cut the whole thing apart. Much cleaner too.

This post has been edited by Fardenco: Sep 19 2019, 06:40 AM

QuoteReply
ps_automotive
post Nov 14 2019, 04:21 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 248,595
Drives: 2008 Volvo xc70

2008 Volvo xc70 Steering Wheel Locked No Ignition Fix [SOLVED]

https://youtu.be/B0HTbDftz30

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V50 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Locked Out Of Car
4 Karebear75 1,295 26th May 2019 - 03:25 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Turn Signals Don't Work After New Battery Install
3 Jeb 10,260 30th September 2018 - 05:43 PM
Last post by: Brent-S80-Owner
No New Posts Turn Signal Problem
6 wareagle32 3,513 23rd July 2018 - 05:44 AM
Last post by: Ahmed22
No New Posts Lock/unlock Issue With My Car - Searching For A Locksmith
4 herexmafe 4,035 22nd February 2018 - 12:11 AM
Last post by: allencooper
No New Posts Locked Keys In 2011 Xc90?
What happened to the feature my 1997 t5 wagon had to prevent that?
1 TilecrafterXC90 1,822 30th August 2017 - 09:47 PM
Last post by: Deeks

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 8th August 2020 - 01:18 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.