Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Start Prevented, Start fails on first attempt w/txt messg
post Feb 16 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,868

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has every experienced this problem:

I have a 2002 S60 and have experienced this problem on only two occasions. When I start the car there is no response. All of the dash indicator lights come on, but turning the key has no other effect. The text message that is displayed is: "Start prevented, try again." I've had the dealer look at the codes to see if they can determine a problem and they can't. It isn't a huge problem, unless it becomes more frequent, but I would like to know what it means.

Anyone experience the same?

thanks,

Connie
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
post Feb 17 2006, 05:32 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,747

Hi, we have a 2002 S60 2.0 we have has a similar problem where by you turn the key and everything works bar the engine itself. I must admit that i have not noticed a message but will look next time it happens.

Having read a fair few entries on this web site ( as we have probs with our car) the most prominent thing i've come across is a battery starting to go! Evidently???? with volvo's once the battery is even a smidge under the full voltage it causes problems with starting, BUT i haven't checked this myself and no one that i have seen has had the message as well.

It might be worth checking the voltage on the battery.

I'm not saying this will work but it's definately worth trying the cheapest option first then going onto the more expensive dealer options.

Good luck and if you find out what it is please let me know

QuoteReply
post Feb 21 2006, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Thanks for your post.

I took my car in for the big 30K servcie and asked about the start problem. The dealer ran a diagnostic and couldn't find a related error code. The service manager had heard of the problem on rare occasions. He said it could be due to another key on the same ring interfering with the transponder. In my case, I don't have the key to another car on the same key ring, so this isn't the problem for me. They actually have no idea what causes it. Sounds like it is an isolated glitch.

QuoteReply
post Feb 21 2006, 11:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,844

My 2003 XC70 did this the other night and is going to the dealer in 2 days for repairs. It failed to start and the message center said, "Starting Prevented, Please Try Again". After several attemps, it did finally start. I researched this on the internet and found the most common reason for this is a problem with the Immobilizer System. Late model Volvos have computer chips embeded in the head of the key. When you put your key in the ignition, there's an antenna in the steering column that sends a signal to the chip in the key. If communication between the key and antenna doesn't successfully connect, the car doesn't start. The problem could be with the antenna or the computer that controls the immobilizer system.

QuoteReply
post Feb 24 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #5

Interesting. I just had mine in for service and they ran a dianostic for the start problem but didn't find any logged errors. Seems like they would be familiar with the antenna/key issue. My car still has one year left on the warranty so, it sounds like I should get it fixed before my warranty runs out. Is this why your car is going in? Do you have a link to the information you found during your research? I find it is helpful to print info and take it to the dealer. (especially being a woman, they often act like I'm just unfamiliar with car terminology and basically don't know what I am talking about.)

:lol:

thanks

QuoteReply
post Feb 24 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 11,844

The info that I found was on another Volvo Forum, www.volvoxc.com. It's a great forum that focuses on XC models. You'll have to go there and perform a search.

My dealer checked my car today and did not find any trouble codes related to my starting problem. That's as far as my dealer went with the problem. It seems today that most of these so called "mechanics" don't do any investigating into a problem on their own. If the computer doesn't indicate what the trouble is and what to fix they look no further. If I was the mechanic, I would have at least checked to make sure connections to the starter motor and solenoid were sound but they didn't. Until the cause of this is found, I consider my car to be unreliable.

QuoteReply
post Feb 25 2006, 04:21 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 11,863

Totally Agree.
Dealers don't have mechanics, they have Technicians, and pretty much only interested in swapping out parts by the book.

Error 12345 ah replace this. See page 45 in the manual etc.

Sure this is a sweeping statement and is true in most part. There of course some delears with very good "old school" mechanics, if you find one make them your best friend, invite them around for dinner etc!

Vipes

QuoteReply
post Jan 25 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 23,737

Had similar problem this morning. However car would not start after several tries. Noticed the post about possible problems with Imobilizer sustem/key chip and tried to start her up using the Valet Key. SUCCESS!

Not a long term solution, but at least I can get to work. Had the car in for service 4 days ago and the service rep was quick to call me back, NOT ("he's checking in another customer and will call youi back shortly", NOPE. Tell him when he calls that he's lost an otherwise very satisfied customer!! Thanks Lee

good luck

QuoteReply
post Jan 25 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,912

The same thing happend to me 3 days ago but the engine was actually turning over but it felt like a computer was stopping it from starting up propley, happend twice then went upstairs for around 5 mins came down and tried again, everything was normal :blink: Have no idea what caused the error message and it not starting but it has not happend since.

QuoteReply
kitcloudkicker
post Apr 9 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 40,772
Drives: 2004 Volvo S60R

I am currently having a similar issue on my 2004 S60R. My car is plagued with this intermittent no-start issue. Once every blue moon, that car would refuse to start. Lights and radio appear to be working fine. Sometimes it will start after a few tries, sometimes it will start after waiting 10 or 20 minutes, and sometimes it would leave me stranded.

I have been doing a lot of research into this issue. As "uncommon" as it may be, it seems a good hand full of people have experienced this issue or something similar.

As for the usual fixes or solutions, I have this to say:

I carry only one key fob for this car. I have had the antenna ring replaced and the CEM software reloaded. Battery appears to be good.

From speaking to various mechanics and from what I have found online, I'm beginning to suspect either the: starter relay, corrosion on wire to starter motor, or neutral switch on the shifter.

If anyone has any information to share, please do. I have been dealing with this issue since August of 2007.

QuoteReply
post Apr 22 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 41,378

Had the same problem on mine. Thankfully the dealership were great, they found the fault code - and replaced the antenna ring - no problems since. They did tell me they have had a few of these problems. Prehaps it is a common fault with a certain batch of antenna rings.

QuoteReply
mattstat435
post Jul 1 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 58,884
Drives: 2001 volvo s60 2.4 na loaded

I have the same problem only worse.
My car will start once out of forty times maybe when it does start I get "alarm system service required", have thought antenna ring or maybe the key or heck maybe even the whole alarm system. Does anybody know how to test the antenna ring or key or alarm system?

Any help on this subject would greatly be appreciated.

QuoteReply
mattstat435
post Jul 4 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 58,884
Drives: 2001 volvo s60 2.4 na loaded

Look under the dash by the brake or behind the obd2. There is a unit (my guess immobilizer unit) check to make sure that all the connections are properly seated when. I replaced the antenna ring it still was not working so I looked under the dash to find out where the clicking noise was coming from, and tada (IMG:style_emoticons/default/banana.gif) put the wires into proper positions and away I went.

I have heard of people jabbing the brakes and then the car starting up, Perhaps this jabbing of the brake is causing those loose connections to make contact and thus start the car. I dont know maybe that could be the issue on some just putting it out there.

QuoteReply
AdminAF
post Jan 16 2012, 12:41 PM
Post #14

Senior
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 35,765
Drives: Volvo

QUOTE (NikolasTesla @ Jan 15 2012, 07:51 PM)
I found the answer in google, remove the topic pls.

You didn't create the topic, so who are you to ask for its removal?

QuoteReply
luapo
post Nov 30 2013, 01:39 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 124,305
Drives: 2005 xc90 2.5T

Happenned on my xc90 yesterday. The junk manual should at least list the message but it doen't, so after calling a tow and looking up code on phone, I read somewhere that this happens also when the brakes tighten up or lock. In my case I assume it was the buggy traction control that locked one break as the pedal was so stiff it wouldn't depress even a fraction of an inch (or mm/cm for the euros). So I tapped the brake pedal a few times, turned ignition on and pedal went soft and car started. Now that I read mechanics all say it is the transponder to the ignition, and the guy mentioning imobilizer at brake pedal location, I'm second guessing the site I read the ABS issue on. But it was rainning and the traction control may have engaged the brakes but maybe it's coincidence. Either way Volvo should include a detail in the documentation as it does about EVERY OTHER message that can appear in the diplay screen. They should also, or at least, document it in vida for the technitians. What good is a fault display if only the f00l who programmed it knows what it means?

This is a rediculous way to inform a driver of an issue and darn volvo doesn't explain it. Did the **** engineers expect me to tow it to volvo and pay $3,000 to pump my pedal. So rediculous a featue or just a poor poor excuse for documentation. These volvos were designed for people with absolutely no mechanical prowess. Although I believe even a soccer mom can pump a brake..... I traded this morning my xc90 for my wife's nissan xterra. Any car that locks me out for something so stupid is not a car for me. And I loved this car until today. It makes me uneasy now. The xterra is a fully loaded 4x4 so it is close, well not really, to the comfort of the volvo. Actually the nissan feels like being in a washing machine, but it never locks me out. Silly volvo programmers/engineers take a great car and complicate the s#!^ out of it to the point of just giving up on the brand.

QuoteReply
dhanshaw
post Feb 18 2015, 01:05 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 135,529
Drives: 2006 volvo S60

Hello Everyone

My son just purchased a used 2006 Volvo s60 last Friday and the car drove and worked flawlessly until this morning, he got in the car to take my wife on a errand and the car would not start ( just making a click-click sound when he turned the key ), so I went to try and give him a jump and it did not work, we did have the lights on the dash light up when we tried to start it after connecting the jumper cable, but all of a sudden they went out and the dumb car alarm started going-off, he pressed the lock/unlock and alarm keys on the FOB, no luck, all of a sudden the alarm went quite for a few seconds and then started again, it did this several times until it eventually stopped, however now we have no lights on the dash when we turn the key in the ignition and even with the jumper cable connected.....any clues or suggestion would be most helpful

I have removed the battery and will take it to and auto parts store to have it tested, in the mean time we have a Volvo that is sitting around looking like furniture.....oh well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QuoteReply
Volvo Virgin
post Feb 20 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #17

Expert

Member No.: 17,785
Drives: 2001 Volvo S60 T S

dhanshaw - it sounds as though your alarm module, located in the wheel well has failed.

I believe the internal rechargeable battery fails and can leak causing internal problems with the unit possibly even causing a drain on the car battery to the point of failure - although I would have thought connecting jump cables would give you dash lights.

I did have the 'Start Prevented' message come up recently,
I had been sitting in the car with the window open for a while and quickly flicked the key in the ignition so that I could close the window.
The message came up, however, after switching the ignition off and back on again (although a little slower) the car started and it has not happened since . . . . . . . ?

Maybe I should start carrying the spare key with me.

QuoteReply
Rosy Dey
post Mar 27 2017, 09:06 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 211,921
Drives: Car

QUOTE (cnomann @ Feb 16 2006, 05:31 PM)
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2002 S60 and have experienced this problem on only two occasions. When I start the car there is no response. All of the dash indicator lights come on, but turning the key has no other effect. The text message that is displayed is: "Start prevented, try again." I've had the dealer look at the codes to see if they can determine a problem and they can't. It isn't a huge problem, unless it becomes more frequent, but I would like to know what it means.

thanks,

Connie

QuoteReply
SHAUNTAY0721
post Dec 11 2017, 04:51 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 234,833
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

QUOTE (cnomann @ Feb 16 2006, 04:31 PM)
Hi Everyone,

thanks,

Connie

QuoteReply
SHAUNTAY0721
post Dec 11 2017, 04:55 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 234,833
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

[quote name='cnomann' date='Feb 16 2006, 04:31 PM' post='24546']
Hi Everyone,

thanks,

Connie

Hello Connie,

You are getting the "Start prevented, try again." message because your key fob battery is going dead. The car thinks the key is fake when the battery starts to go dead so it prevents the car from starting to prevent theft. Just replace the battery in your key fob and you will be good to go!

SHaunte' M. Howlett

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2009 and Below S60 Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No new Starting Problems
Intermitent Starting problems
27 hutchinson440 134,553 17th June 2018 - 02:59 PM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES
No New Posts Starts When It Sits For 1 Day, 2days, But Not 4 Days Or 5 Days
122s with weber conversion
4 poohbear's helper 3,481 28th March 2018 - 10:06 PM
Last post by: poohbear's helper
No New Posts Starter Motor Wouldn't Stop
3 jamescwatson 2,191 17th December 2017 - 09:07 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Start Stop Not Working (noisy)
0 trickyg 1,547 29th October 2016 - 01:10 PM
Last post by: trickyg
No New Posts Starts & Idles =excellent- 2000 S80
NON Turbo 2.9
1 Twinpilot001 963 5th August 2015 - 07:31 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 5th August 2020 - 08:06 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.