Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Bulkhead In Fuel Tank?, Where the access is to get ti the fuel pump.
testrat
post Jan 5 2021, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 99,245
Drives: 1990 740 GL

This - bulkhead? I will call it, for lack of knowing what else to call it - the part that gives you access to the fuel pump.. Anyway, as can see on one of the pics, a wire is off on the inside. Shop has tried to solder/repair, but dont stay fixed. Fuel pump wont stay working. Or the fuel gauge. So, does anyone have this item? Haven't been able to find around here locally (NE Okla). Or thru some on line auto parts sites.
... Failing that... I am wondering IF I can drill thru this molding that seal the wires going thru it, just a bit undersize - 1/16", and heat some 1/16 TIG Stainless Steel welding wire, and melt thru it, then IT would reseal once cooled? Then can solder the wires onto that? If you follow my thoughts?
... IF... anyone happens to have, please notice in the one pic, the threaded port for the fuel line to connect is needed. The one that was found, this port wasnt threaded, or was different in some way, so stated the shop that is working on it. Thou, maybe, I can modify the fuel line to adapt to this -bulkhead- with a different connection here. Just was hoping to NOT need to modify if possible...
Thanks for any thoughts or help.

I accidentally posted in the 240 area - IF happened to see this there..
IS a 740 GL car..
Attached File(s)
Attached File  IMG_20201231_160543.jpg ( 363.78K ) Number of downloads: 1
Attached File  IMG_20201231_160554.jpg ( 323.25K ) Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  IMG_20201231_160600.jpg ( 480.75K ) Number of downloads: 0

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
highvoltj
post Jan 5 2021, 07:33 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 105,238
Drives: 1990 Volvo 740 GLE

Okay....I am assuming that you are having intermittent fuel delivery issue's and have determined that it is the fuel pump....this may very well not be the problem and I will tell you what I endured while having the same issue with my girlfriend's son's car....the very same year, make and model. The car would start and run okay and then just randomly shut down due to lack of fuel. They took the car to a shop on multiple occasion's but could never duplicate the problem, so me being an accomplished automotive mechanic and having the ability to diagnose and fix most problems, decided to give it a go! I changed the fuel filter, removed and cleaned the fuel rail to remove any obstructions, and still the car would randomly shut down....In a nutshell, the problem turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay which is located under the center console behind the ash tray....after replacing that, the car never missed a beat!
Hope this helps!

QuoteReply
testrat
post Jan 7 2021, 01:19 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 99,245
Drives: 1990 740 GL

QUOTE (highvoltj @ Jan 5 2021, 06:33 PM)
Okay....I am assuming that you are having intermittent fuel delivery issue's and have determined that it is the fuel pump....this may very well not be the problem and I will tell you what I endured while having the same issue with my girlfriend's son's car....the very same year, make and model. The car would start and run okay and then just randomly shut down due to lack of fuel. They took the car to a shop on multiple occasion's but could never duplicate the problem, so me being an accomplished automotive mechanic and having the ability to diagnose and fix most problems, decided to give it a go! I changed the fuel filter, removed and cleaned the fuel rail to remove any obstructions, and still the car would randomly shut down....In a nutshell, the problem turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay which is located under the center console behind the ash tray....after replacing that, the car never missed a beat!
Hope this helps!

If you look at the pics, the 3rd on I think, you can see the GREY wire is disconnected (fuel gauge-which is why it quit working), but the RED wire runs the fuel pump. IF one will wiggle that wire where it goes into the PLASTIC, the pump will go off and on.. So, the issue in the connections in the plastic that seals the wired going thur the bulkhead, if you follow me. SO, I need that whole item. Or, I guess I will need to find a way - stated in my original post yo try and fix. But yes, have had to also replace the relay once too.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 740 & 760 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Invoke Siri From Steering Wheel - Over Bluetooth
0 grtaylor 1,639 19th September 2020 - 09:29 PM
Last post by: grtaylor
No New Posts Fuel Pressure Sensor
Where in the world is the sensor?
4 Shutterspeed 8,268 1st August 2020 - 12:42 PM
Last post by: wallywilso
No New Posts Fuel System Strange Problems
2 henrijeret 2,685 4th July 2020 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: ssicarman
No New Posts Intermittent "bulb Failure" Rear Fog Light, But Bulb Is Good/works!
2 silent-circuit 5,339 12th May 2020 - 08:34 PM
Last post by: ParyGalmer
No New Posts Instructions For Replacing Rear Wheel Bearing On 2012 S60 T6 R Design
1 zydeaner 46,033 4th April 2020 - 07:27 PM
Last post by: cuhfs1

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th February 2021 - 08:45 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.