Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Sirius Radio Draining Battery
XC90 Problem
post Dec 3 2018, 10:26 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 245,011
Drives: 2010 XC90

I have seen posts on the internet that say the Sirius radio is draining the battery on 2008 and newer volvos. This happens even if you don't have a Sirius subscription. Apparently the Sirius module continues to look for a signal even after the car has been turned off, potentially draining the battery within 3, or 4 days. The posts suggest this can be fixed either thru a software patch, or by disconnecting the RDAR cable from the Sirius module. Anyone had any experience with this?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
kriss
post Dec 26 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 87,266
Drives: VOLVO S80

Yes, a well known problem. You have two ways of fixing it: If you go to VOLVO for a scheduled maintenance ask them to upgrade the ECM
with Service 2.0 version. If not schedule maintenance you have to pay-how much? it depend on the area you live.
Second option you buy a fiber optic loop. For most cars you can use VOLVO PN 8688083. It's called "brace". Check your connector.
My connector was different (S80, 2009) and I used this one:

https://www.rkxtech.com/products/most-fiber...ant=25079762889

The RDAR module is located somewhere in your trunk, depend on your car model.

This post has been edited by kriss: Dec 26 2018, 04:20 PM

QuoteReply
XC90 Problem
post Dec 27 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 245,011
Drives: 2010 XC90

Thank you for the information. If I try and use the Brace solution, any idea where I might find the Sirius module in a XC90? Thanks for the help.

QuoteReply
rred
post May 7 2019, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 57,722
Drives: 1995 volvo 850

I have the same problem for my 2011 XC90 w. 7 seats. Haven't been able to locate the RDAR unit. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

A reminder: if your battery was totally drained out, do NOT jump start! Charge the battery! I naively jump started mine and drove it for 30 mins. The second day I got a bad alternator.

QuoteReply
Deeks
post Jun 9 2019, 08:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 64,680
Drives: Volvo Tech

QUOTE (XC90 Problem @ Dec 27 2018, 06:24 PM)
Thank you for the information. If I try and use the Brace solution, any idea where I might find the Sirius module in a XC90? Thanks for the help.

The RDAR module is behind the right rear cargo compartment panel and sits just above the wheel well area

QuoteReply
Voyager
post Jun 26 2020, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 250,407
Drives: 2011 Volvo C70

Greetings All,

This is a first time post for me here on the Volvo Forum and probably my last, but I felt compelled to join and revive this somewhat dated thread, in order to share an extremely frustrating and costly experience that we recently had with this whole RDAR issue on a Volvo C70, all in hopes that the information shared here might benefit others. So, I'll try to keep it brief.

OVERVIEW: My mother-in-law passed away in late April, leaving her only child (my wife), a 2011 Volvo C70. We quickly learned from her mother's surviving friends, that her mother had been plagued in the final months and years of her life, by the battery in this pig, going repeatedly dead on her, without notice, and without apparent cause. Apparently, week after week it was happening to her, effectively stranding her in various parking lots and other locations, often far away from her home, and forcing her to incur expensive towing charges to the Volvo dealer or other mechanic. Each time, the Volvo dealer told her that nothing was wrong, that they couldn't find anything at all, etc., etc., and yet, each time, if not started almost daily, it would fail on her again, within 2-3 days of sitting idle.

So, we took it into the same Volvo dealer ourselves (after her mother had passed), and we put them on notice that we weren't going to play continued games with them on it any longer, and that we intended to hold them fully accountable on it. Amazingly, they quickly claimed that they had suddenly 'discovered' the source of the problem to be the RDAR device (as if they hadn't known it all along). They confidently claimed the battery and alternator were both perfectly fine, and that the problem would be permanently resolved by an RDAR software upgrade for an additional fee of $150. We reluctantly agreed to pay the $150, and they installed the upgrade, but incredibly, just 3-days of sitting idle afterwards, the newly installed and fully charged battery went dead on us yet again!

So, through additional research here on the Volvo Forum, I learned of the roughly $15 fiber optic bypass cable that others had also recommended as a potential fix; a small loop shaped cable that essentially loops the signal from the RDAR device back into itself. So we quickly purchased that cable and installed it (just under the antenna connection, inside the trunk), and we left the power supply cable to the RDAR connected, so that the radio itself would still continue to work, but the Sirius XM Radio function was effectively disabled. We then trickle charged the battery back to full charge, and we let the car sit idle for TEN straight days without starting. Significantly, after ten whole days without being started, it started right up for us.

SUMMARY: Our experience in this regard would seem to imply that the $150 dealer-installed RDAR 'software upgrade' was a pointless and unnecessary effort and expense, because the software upgrade alone clearly did NOT solve the problem. Instead, the $15 fiber optic bypass cable was required to solve it. Would that fiber optic bypass cable alone have fixed it, without the software upgrade?? Obviously, that cannot be said with any certainty, but I strongly suspect so! And so, given that suspicion, I would strongly suggest to anyone suffering through this same RDAR-Sirius XM-Dead Battery problem, on any model of Volvo, that you install and test the recommended fiber optic bypass cable FIRST, before paying your dealer $150 for the software upgrade.

I sincerely hope this posting will help save folks some money.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Voyager: Jun 26 2020, 04:10 PM

QuoteReply
GFORCE_75
post Aug 22 2020, 08:47 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 250,851
Drives: 2008 Volvo S80

QUOTE (kriss @ Dec 26 2018, 10:18 PM)
Yes, a well known problem. You have two ways of fixing it: If you go to VOLVO for a scheduled maintenance ask them to upgrade the ECM
with Service 2.0 version. If not schedule maintenance you have to pay-how much? it depend on the area you live.
Second option you buy a fiber optic loop. For most cars you can use VOLVO PN 8688083. It's called "brace". Check your connector.
My connector was different (S80, 2009) and I used this one:

https://www.rkxtech.com/products/most-fiber...ant=25079762889

The RDAR module is located somewhere in your trunk, depend on your car model.

Where was yours as I have an S80 2008. Searching in boot but cant find. tIA

QuoteReply
Phillyguy
post Sep 9 2020, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 250,999
Drives: 2012 Volvo C70

My 2011 c70 became a nightmare because of this issue. Numerous times the vehicle was inoperable due to a dead battery. I'd check that the car would start in the evening & the next morning, totally dead. Missed appointments, work, etc. In addition to the inconvenience, I spent hundreds on new batteries & countless hours trying to figure out the cause only to discover THIS IS A KNOWN ISSUE. I cannot fathom the unconscionable inaction of Volvo & my dealership not to have notified me. I am the original owner and will NEVER buy another Volvo due to this ridiculous issue.

I would have accepted paying the price, WHICH I HAD TO PAY, of having a "software update" but to not notify customers who paid $40k+, and keep them in the dark about this flaw is insane.

Having a reliable vehicle is a safety issue and the way this issue has been handled is just lousy. Remember the Pinto? Dealer assumed zero responsibility & when I contacted Volvo the response was "contact your dealer."

Again, I PAID FOR THIS FIX, it wasn't included in any routine scheduled maintenance.

Until this happened, I was sure my next vehicle would be an all electric Volvo. Look at how Volvo responded to a very basic issue involving of all things a car radio that totally disables their product and strands a driver.

Pathetic response from what I thought was a decent and reliable manufacturer. I learned the hard way and sincerely hope my post provides insight to Volvo owners experiencing the same issue.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Sirius Receiver Location
in '08 v50
0 ianlitmans 1,316 29th July 2020 - 12:30 PM
Last post by: ianlitmans
No New Posts Radio Not Working
2 Hamadeh 38,276 11th May 2020 - 12:14 PM
Last post by: Lawrie
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsRadio Is Not Working.. What To Do!?
8 VolvoFIN 26,994 11th May 2020 - 12:12 PM
Last post by: Lawrie
No New Posts Radio Static
0 KevinTREK 3,490 1st May 2020 - 04:31 PM
Last post by: KevinTREK
No New Posts Radio Replacement Issue
replace radio with factory radio
1 Allynn35611 3,117 21st February 2020 - 05:47 PM
Last post by: FREEBUSINESSES

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th September 2020 - 04:04 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.