Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Starting Problems, Intermitent Starting problems
delerium
post Nov 4 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 97,882
Drives: 2004 Volvo T5 AWD 2.5L

Hi from Montreal Canada ... So be patience guys with my english. Well I had today the same problem but in my 2004 S60 AWD. just bough the car ans im quit scare with all the comments here. First cause it seems that Volvo dealers ot Volvo company had close there eyes on this Major problem to me. Second i just had the same issue about turning on the car. Like any common sense guy i bought a new battery but for nothing cause the car do not start. It seems like is not computer software so after reads all of you my conclusion is either:

Fuses
the fuel pump relay or Starter
Geni if you read this articles please share with me your experience replacing it in your car.
Thx dudes for your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) )

Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
V_Heinz
post Nov 12 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 98,289
Drives: 2002 S60

We dealt with the same problem for our Volvo S60 2002-intermittent will not crank. Very frustrating.
A specialized Volvo mecanic finally tracked it down to an internal starter motor defect. He replace the starter, and everything seems to be fine. He was very sure that this was the root cause.

QuoteReply
garros
post Dec 10 2011, 10:21 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 99,816
Drives: S60

I have the same problem with S60 not always turning over. The first road rescue guy said it was the electrical connection to the starter motor and suggested getting it seen to , the garage said that it was fine. The second road rescue said also said it was the starter motor electrical connection as he could easily start the motor but doing some short circuit thing so its in the garage Monday now to get the electrics checked or replace the starter motor if the electric fault is a defect in the starter motor and not between there and the ignition; this seems to be the case for another member on here too.

QuoteReply
Drod
post Jan 23 2012, 01:05 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 18,416
Drives: Volvo 850

QUOTE (kitcloudkicker @ Apr 8 2008, 02:54 PM)
Have you resolved that issue? I think I have the same exact issue with my S60R. I love my car and I'm not ready to give it up yet.

Ask your dealer about a Neutral Safety switch?

QuoteReply
Volvo Matt
post Jul 17 2017, 07:11 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 221,305
Drives: 2006 Volvo s60r

QUOTE (garros @ Dec 10 2011, 10:21 AM)
I have the same problem with S60 not always turning over. The first road rescue guy said it was the electrical connection to the starter motor and suggested getting it seen to , the garage said that it was fine. The second road rescue said also said it was the starter motor electrical connection as he could easily start the motor but doing some short circuit thing so its in the garage Monday now to get the electrics checked or replace the starter motor if the electric fault is a defect in the starter motor and not between there and the ignition; this seems to be the case for another member on here too.

I realize this post is old as dirt, but did any of the posters here ever get your problem resolved? I've dealt with this for a few years off and on now and read this post a few dozen times but now it just won't even try to start. Even replaced the starter about 2 years ago.

Thanks for any updates y'all can provide.

QuoteReply
Richard Hevener
post Nov 19 2017, 09:48 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 233,338
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60 2.4

QUOTE (Roy321 @ Apr 23 2011, 06:31 PM)
Bradley, if moving the shifter sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, I would suspect the neutral safety switch is going bad. When it happens again, keep the key twisted all the way clockwise where it would otherwise crank, then reach over to the shifter and move it slightly up and back -- but not so far as to put it in reverse. If it cranks at that point, the neutral safety switch is most likely your culprit.

This is a great suggestion. The first time I had the problem, just wiggling the shifter with the key off worked. But the second time it happened, I was stuck until I followed the procedure above. The problem has not recurred, but if it does, I'll know what to try. Two further notes: We are assuming an automatic transmission, and you have to put your foot on the brake to be able to move the shifter.

QuoteReply
Dani-el
post Feb 27 2018, 09:58 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 238,905
Drives: S60 2.0T

I had same problem on S60 2.0 T 2004, I just used a small hammer to knock on the starter and solenoid and started straight away. Will have a look later if any wire cause the problem or just starter was stuck.
Thanks to those who suggested to try this.

QuoteReply
FREEBUSINESSES
post Jun 17 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 242,873
Drives: 05 XC90 06 S40

Having same issue with two Volvo's, an XC90 just had to be towed, running fine after completed head rebuild when water pump seized and timing belt cam off, crazy to have a no tolerance engine when there is absolutely no reason not to notch piston tops like American vehicles had to allow for higher lift cams. This XC90 has been a nightmare, have changed everything, and now this. Was under car checking starter solenoid connection, when trying to start, only a ever so slight click can be heard, all lights normal, battery test is normal, tried the *** to neutral and back and forth trick some mentioned, not turning over, any more ideas, hate to buy a starter if it is something else. Anyone know if key just dies, battery works doors from distance, so if key lost code, would it be same symptom, or does it turn over n
and not start? Baffled. Same problem with my S40, manual shift, in this case immobilizer warning is on, not turning over either, tried all the tricks with key on and off 5 times, hitting key with screwdriver in start position, disconnected battery for day, connected terminals together for a reset of ECU, battery test is fine, unbelievable to have both die within two weeks and having to be towed. Never have I been stranded like this before with any cars I have owned, three times now with Volvo's. Sucks.

This post has been edited by FREEBUSINESSES: Jun 17 2018, 03:04 PM

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 440, 460 & 480 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Problems Putting An '86 2.3l Into My '83 240
No spark after engine swap
0 nrcaylor 3,462 22nd July 2017 - 04:25 PM
Last post by: nrcaylor
No New Posts Problems After Drain Cleaning
Errors and door open chime
0 RosemaryB 1,498 2nd January 2016 - 05:41 PM
Last post by: RosemaryB
No New Posts Problems With Swm, Possibly?
No turn signal, no cruise control, no high beam.
8 murta 2,145 20th October 2015 - 02:16 AM
Last post by: murta
No New Posts Problems With A Volvo C70 Stuck In Park!?
1 bemshawn 1,776 21st August 2015 - 10:33 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Starting Problems In Hot Weather S60 2001
4 manofsteel05 3,944 18th March 2015 - 08:15 PM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 5th August 2020 - 07:54 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.