Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Forum Ranking System, Please Suggest
post Mar 30 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #1

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 983

We are looking to change the ranking system used for forum members. Currently forum ranking system is based on posting. The order is:

Newbie 0
Member 25 *
Full Member 50 **
Senior 100 ***
Expert 250 ****
Veteran 500 *****

If you have better idea for forum ranking system, please feel free to post here.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Tech
post Mar 30 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #2

Volvo Guru !

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,295
Drives: Mustang,1995 Yellow T5-R,1996 850 Trubo

That seems pretty good to me.Most forum use ranking by the number of posts.

QuoteReply
post Mar 31 2005, 07:03 AM
Post #3

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

Thx Alan. Anyone, any other idea?

QuoteReply
Auckland
post May 7 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #4

Veteran

Member No.: 2,310
Drives: 1999 S80

:blink: Hi there. For what my two cents is worth-is it worth factoring into the equation, the number of times the members accesses the site?

Is it worth factoring in the last time that particular member actually accessed the site?

I realise that this opens a whole new field. But, if a member made a hundred posts and then you heard nothing from them again during the next six months, should they maintain such a ranking?

I don't know if I am helping or adding to the confusion!!

Cheers :crying:

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post May 11 2005, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

In a way i agree, because if a person asks a lot of questions, sooner or later, or rather, by the time he/she asks the 500th question, he sure enough should be considered a veteran! (to me, at least) :haha:

That is, if the questions are genuine and are plain honest.
:)

In any case, we can't know much, if the person is a SHY one, and who'd rather go back to the other threads and gets what he/she wants from other people's posts, and as much as possible doesn't want to write unnecessarily. Oh well, have to live up to the world. Can't be too shy, or you'll miss out!
:harhar:

I up for the new change!
:57:

QuoteReply
post Sep 24 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran
Group Icon

My idea is

User Title:

Novice - 15
Clutched - 25
1st Gear - 100
2nd Gear - 200
3rd Gear - 300
4th Gear - 500
5th Gear - 1000
6th Gear - 1500
Supercharged - 2000
Turbocharged - 4000
NOS-ed - 6000
2Fast2Furious - 10000

What do you think guys?

QuoteReply
Auckland
post Sep 25 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #7

Veteran

:cat: Hi there Admin.

I like the idea in principle.

However, I think we are in a high risk area to have to explain to every new member what the ranking system actually means.

You've already seen how observant new members are when using the Introductory Forum.

That is why I suggested that we have a symbol attached to the user screen name to define the prestige of the user. Hence, Tech, for example, automatically has his remarks flanked by a Volvo Technician symbol-whatever we choose to define Technicians.

This system will also have to be explained-but I think the reply will axiomatically define the author as a Technician.

Ampangbear-axiomatic-self evident. :P

Cheers :right:

QuoteReply
poopbunny
post Sep 25 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #8

Expert
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,299
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6 Mileage 175k

Ranking doesn't really matter to me, although the proposed would probably rank me much lower.

I don't post a lot, but when I do a lot of thought and time goes into each post. There is quite a bit of technical contribution too. Also each of my post tend to be unique.

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Sep 25 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #9

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

A few points if I may,

1-I like the title idea, although personally I'm not concerned about ranking.

2-There will always be some people that need the simplest things explained to them. An addition to the Forum Rules could be added with the explination.

3- Keeping number 2 in mind, there are also people who take the ranking seriously and would like it.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 7 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #10

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE(admin @ Sep 25 2007, 11:08 AM)
My idea is

User Title:

Novice - 15
Clutched - 25
1st Gear - 100
2nd Gear - 200
3rd Gear - 300
4th Gear - 500
5th Gear - 1000
6th Gear - 1500
Supercharged - 2000
Turbocharged - 4000
NOS-ed - 6000
2Fast2Furious - 10000

What do you think guys?
[right][snapback]63063[/snapback][/right]

2Fast2Furious? But what if the guy dont fancy going fast? or furious?
:)

Auckland,
:P

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Oct 9 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #11

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 31,123

If I may, you can alwyas rank the member by which forum he/she uses. For instance, if the person is always in the general forum, they can be called..X. If in the tech forum....Y. ,etc. etc. That way everybodyelse can see if that person is in fact more knowledable than say a shadetree mechanic. Also, if the it is to be 2Fast2Furious, would youlist that person place of origin? If so, I want to be 2Fast2Furious Brooklyn Amberlight Beater. hahahahahahahahahaha, ahem. Man, I kill me sometimes. Later, Harry-

QuoteReply
poopbunny
post Oct 9 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #12

Expert
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,299
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6 Mileage 175k

QUOTE(TheGreekMason @ Oct 10 2007, 09:01 AM)
If I may, you can alwyas rank the member by which forum he/she uses.  For instance, if the person is always in the general forum, they can be called..X.  If in the tech forum....Y.  ,etc. etc.  That way everybodyelse can see if that person is in fact more knowledable than say a shadetree mechanic.[right][snapback]63773[/snapback][/right]

That's a good idea. Is that possible Admin?

QuoteReply
Auckland
post Oct 10 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #13

Veteran

:cat: Hi there everybody

This last suggestion does nothing more than identify the user.

It does not offer a quantitive value of postings or prestige of the user-such as a fully trained Volvo technician-like Tech.

Volvospeed can weigh into a discussion with some powerful stuff too from time to time, and I think, without being a Volvo technician. Your suggested system does not recognise him as being a very handy member.

Cheers :right:

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Oct 10 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #14

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 31,123

To answer your question, it does. The reason being that when and if a member posts to the tech forum, he/she is now open to the other members being able to see if he/she is qualified, and/or right. If said person gives wrong info, everybody will see it. Regardless of ranking, the little time that I have been a member, I have come to understand who is and isn't a trained Volvo mechanic and who is a shadetree mechanic with knowledge of Volvos. I have seen shadetree mechanics that have given good, if not better advice than that of a trained individual (not in this particular forum, but outside of this area with different brands of vehicles) Now, is that mechanic a better technician than the trained individual, no. But I am pointing out that there are instances where a little bit of non-technical advice will help a non-mechanical person try to repair an item instead of getting fleeced by some of these dealerships. If I have offended anyone, I apologise, I didn't mean to start any trouble just to put in my two cents. As you can see from My postings, I am not very knowledgeable about Volvos (yet), but am in the areas of other makes of vehicles. I am not a trained mechanic but am a semi-good mechanic. I know my limits. Justing putting in another two cents, maybe three. Harry-

QuoteReply
S60 R
post Oct 12 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #15

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

I like TheGreekMason's idea also...regardless of how many cents he put in :grin:

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Oct 29 2008, 10:11 PM
Post #16

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

OR,

Maybe if we can get everyone to stay around longer, then we'd be able to know each other more. And hence, forummers would be able to tell off-hand if a person is either speaking from experience, or making a conclusion from a proper official manual, or just making a guess.

QuoteReply
post Jun 14 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 58,192

What if you could add to a members reputation by giving them props for a good post or an informative reply? Maybe negative props could be given if a bad post is made, taking away from their reputation. Maybe you would be able to see if a member has a good or bad reputation by the a mount of thumbs up or down displayed next to their user name.

QuoteReply
MKC70
post Jun 15 2009, 04:59 PM
Post #18

Expert

Member No.: 23,913
Drives: 1999 Volvo C70 coupe

QUOTE (eatingsnowflakes @ Jun 14 2009, 09:59 PM)
What if you could add to a members reputation by giving them props for a good post or an informative reply? Maybe negative props could be given if a bad post is made, taking away from their reputation. Maybe you would be able to see if a member has a good or bad reputation by the a mount of thumbs up or down displayed next to their user name.

UK forum has a "Thanks" system, which I have not looked closely at. Most posts if the data is incorrect is usually corrected quickly with someone that has the correct answer. Ranking systems remind me of karate belts, but regardless of the color they still hold your pants up.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Jan 19 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #19

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (admin @ Mar 30 2005, 02:44 AM)
We are looking to change the ranking system used for forum members. Currently forum ranking system is based on posting. The order is:

Newbie 0
Member 25 *
Full Member 50 **
Senior 100 ***
Expert 250 ****
Veteran 500 *****

If you have better idea for forum ranking system, please feel free to post here.

i think the part of getting to see the number of thumb up is good,as it will show if there advice has been able to help,the trouble i think is ,when being told what the car is doing,they will not have the knowledge ,to understand ,what they are being told what to do,to fix it,most of the trouble you see here is very common, in the full range of the volvo's,but codes should be looked at first,so the trouble will be that persons level of skill ,to say what is wrong with there car,we know ,that first get the codes, read them,next have you got fuel,are you getting a spark,smell the spark plug for if getting fuel,if has it then trouble is ignition,we all know and understand that,but we have to then explain that to some one that does not,so you then are telling people what is wrong, as if you were talking to a child,all those on this site ,do not have the same level of skill,if you think about it,people will say what is wrong with there car,so for use to say what is wrong,we have to break the trouble down,you will find ,there will be more than one thing wrong with there car,so they fix that one thing,then you move on to the next part,but they will think you got it wrong.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo-Forums.com Board Questions, Feedback and Suggestions Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Forum Virgin
8 [email protected] 14,502 13th April 2020 - 08:50 PM
Last post by: 3aplus63Embot
No New Posts Forum Members Only! NottoŽ Se Hid Kits Special!
0 WoodView.com 5,829 7th January 2009 - 01:41 PM
Last post by: WoodView.com
No New Posts System Service Required
the codes are
3 djburns 1,981 27th July 2005 - 08:04 PM
Last post by: Tech

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="https://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th October 2020 - 04:28 PM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.