Volvo Owners Forum banner

Stc Vs Dstc

23K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cm2gj 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a new S40, and I think Volvo are being irresponsible in trying to confuse buyers who want a vehicle with an ESP (Electronic Stability Program) type of system.

This is the scenario, as far as I can work out:
1. Volvo has a system called STC, or STABILITY and Traction Control. This is misleading as it appears to be nothing more than other manufacturers' traction control systems.
2. Almost every other manufacturer calls it's ESP type system a "STABILITY Control" system, which includes control over engine power and braking on all four wheels to correct the vehicles line through a corner. Because Volvo include the word STABILITY in STC, it would appear they're trying to mislead people in to thinking it is the equivalent of other makers' "STABILITY control systems". This is the case especially here in Australia, where in advertising they haven't been using the acronyms - their ads state that the base S40 includes "stability and traction control" - but read the brochure and you'll find they are referring to STC, which in reality only provides "traction control".
3. For those who have worked out this little deception, you can order DSTC for a huge premium of AUS$2190, or well over 5% of the purchase price of the car! For a brand that makes such as deal about it's safety credentials, how can they justify not fitting such an important piece of active safety as standard?

Worldwide studies are proving that ESP type systems (real ones, not Volvo's STC) save lives - to the point that EU regulators are considering making their fitment compulsory. This is considered feasible as they estimate it will only cost makers around $200 per vehicle (once ABS hardware is in place). Doesn't this make Volvo's actions in
a. Misrepresenting such critical life saving technology, and
b. Charging an exorbitant premium for it
seen totally unconscionable?

Or am I missing something here???

See less See more
#2 ·
The DSTC seems to be standard on all trims of the '07 S40. In '06 and earlier it was an optional upgrade. This is what I found...

http://www.volvocars.us/models/s40/FeaturesOptions.htm

Standard on trim levels

"Dynamic Stability and Traction Control (DSTC) is a sophisticated stabilization system which, in addition to the STC functions, intervenes and corrects any tendency to skid. A number of sensors monitor the rotational speed of all four wheels, the driver's steering wheel input - e.g. the steering angle - and the course of the car. The DSTC control unit processes these signals and, if any deviation from the norm is detected, such as the start of a rear-wheel skid, the system intervenes and gently activates the brakes to the appropriate wheel to put the car back on course again. It also reduces engine power if necessary."

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Talking about these systems maybe some one of you could help me, all the volvo s40 2006 have the STC? I know that the DSTC is going to be standard in the 2007 model, I ask this because here at my country (Guatemala, central America) we don't have any information about what system we have, in fact that we don't have the option to turn off the system or any information about it so I have to suppose that if we don't have any information about it at the car, manual or Volvo dealer, maybe the use the STC as a standard or am I wrong? Maybe they don't have any system at all… what do you think guys?

Alex

#5 ·
Hi all!

I'm all very confused with all this... STC, DSTC ?????
I understand what a typical Dynamic Stability and Traction Control does in principals with most makers but then what is the STC for if not acting on the brakes and power of the engine in order to improve traction in the winter for example and to make the car more stable in curves.

Could it be that there is just more "dynamic" or "active" control to the car with more sensors with the DSTC or is it just a fancy software thing?

I admit I thought I had the DSTC but after reading this post I went back in my car to check and all I see is the STC button. I feel a bit frustrated because I feel I was cheated on. I did ask specifically about Dynamic stability and traction control when I bought the car and the dealer pointed out to me the stc…which I can understand has still something to do with STABILITY and TRACTION CONTROL.

Can any one point exactly and with simple words what the two do or more what is the true difference because I'm lost?
I bet if I go to the dealer they would also have a hard time explaining the two.

I also can't believe it would cost about $2000 for this especially here in the US. Does anyone know if I can upgrade my 2005 S40 T5 and for how much?

Thanks all,
Greg

#7 ·
if you feel frustrated could you imaginate how i feel my car does not have that button!!! not DSTC or STC button or information at the car or manual or dealer!!! not even the light at the control pannel regarding about the traction control! well and i uderstand you when i boght the car i ask for the dynamic version!! here there is two version the dynamic and the other one the T5 is only in a special order!

Alex

#8 ·
True scenario: I run my car into a bent fast. Half way round the bent there is water on the tarmac. As soon as my front wheels go over the water they start skidding (front wheel drive s40). The stc kicks in and stops the skiding by either stoping the engine or by braking (cant really tell how but doesnt matter). Its bad enough to break in a corner with a front wheel drive car plus in this case my rear wheels are now over the water and have regained traction at the front. I did a perfect 360!

Point: STC (and probably DSTC) can stop you from accelerating over the limits while you are in the corner. It is not sufficient if you go into the corner over the limit and can react to this kind of skid unexpectedly.

Like when abs came out, there was an increase in accidents cause people gained false confidence in the brakes.

Remember there are still limits. Having stc dstc or any other system on any car, does not change the physics laws. It will just prevent some mistakes a driver might make. BTW, keep working on your braking, driving, turning skill in safe areas. There is no better security than knowing how your car will react...It is still and allways be a drivers duty to drive safely.

Drive safely not slowly

#9 ·
DSTC incorperates yaw control (AYC) and emergency brake assist (EBA). As I understand it, yaw control helps you keep control -thru a bend for example- if you start to spin or slide by braking one or more wheels.

Emergency braking gives you maximum braking immediately if a panic stop is detected, and maintains it until stopped or the brake pedal is released. I dont know how much shorter stopping distance it gives you, but every bit counts. I know Mercedes and BMW have similar functions.

Heres a part of an '05 owners manual from Volvo's website...
http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2005/2...0_08b.htm#pg100

Hope that helps some.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
STC is just an "inteligent" chip who controls the ABS functions using some advancing sensors. The sensors react to every tire and car angle and apply the break to the necesary tire in order to keep the track. STC is like ESP with additional monitoring.

DSTC is more advanced. several factors here are monitored like ABS, tire traction, car angle, curve, acceleration, stability, ESP and is controlled by software / hardware and reaction chips.

DSTC is now available for all S40 models in 2007, and no only this, YOU CANNOT DISABLE THE STC ANY LONGER LIKE IN THE 2006. In mexico, STC is the only option available for the low and mid model. I have the "elegance" model with DSTC and other cool features. I already test it and is amazing. I get a corner at high speed without issues.

Regards!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.