Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Buying A Used Volvo?, What to look for/Price to pay
Auckland
post Jun 26 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #1

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 2,310
Drives: 1999 S80

:cat: The common question. I'm buying a used Volvo model xxxx. What should I look for?

The short answer is a:

Full Service History (FSH)

Volvo's need servicing just like anyother car. If you are buying a used Volvo and the seller says: "it's a wonderful car. It just goes and goes. I've not had to spend a cent on it in the last two to three years!" :) Beware! :devil:

The car may be coming up for some very expensive repairs which the seller does not want to pay for or does not have the money to pay for the repairs. :excl:

Suppose the car you are buying is less than $4,000.00 and several years old. You might be stretching things if the car has had several different owners by demanding all the Receipts and paper work which may have been lost over the years. Let's face it, if the radiator was replaced 280,000k's ago-it might need replacing again. And all the original paper work and receipts now don't lessen the burden of replacing it again. That is simply an example only.

Having a pre-purchase examination by your local Automobile Association or similar organisation has it's advantages. They are inspecting cars all the time and have the equipment to do the job properly, e.g. lifts, inspection pits etc.

Once the inspection is finished-take the report to your local Volvo agent and have the agent cost up the report for repairs/replacements/updates etc. At the same time, ask the Volvo agent to look for common problems which the Agent would know about and the inspection service may have missed in their report.

HOW MUCH TO PAY?

Take the sellers asking price

minus the Volvo agent's quote

minus another $1,000.00 buffer for things the inspection missed (you could increase that $1,000.00 to $2,000.00 if none or few of the Volvo periodic services have been done)

Whatever is left over-that is the price you offer the seller.

WHAT EXACTLY AM I PAYING FOR WHEN I BUY A USED CAR?

You are paying the seller the perceived value of the life left in the car.

(If you are buying a classic car-none of the above rules apply.) Pricing/costing enthusiasts/collectors values is beyond this article.

These remarks apply regardless of whether or not the particular Volvo you are thinking about buying is:

Turbo or non-Turbo
Petrol or Diesel
Manual (Stick-Shift) or Auto (Gearless)
Front Wheel Drive
Rear Wheel Drive
All Wheel Drive
Sedan, Coupe, Station Wagon, Convertible, SUV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions like:

"I'm thinking about buying a 1993 Volvo 850 Turbo, what should I look for?

You cannot be expected to know how to diagnose normal wear and tear of the transmission, turbo and suspension etc etc. You cannot be expected to recognise a faultless and fully serviceable car either.

What should I look for? The Volvo agent. Why? Normally, the agent has a reputation too good to loose. It is rare that they would miss something and not remedy the situation if you were to suffer lose because of their negligence. (I realise that there are exceptions to all these remarks. Please don't fill the forum with one off examples of disasters.) Mistakes do happen. Ask any doctor if you don't believe me!! I doubt that any agent would deliberately mislead you.

Check the dash board for bits of tape overing warning lights. Taping over warning lights with expensive repairs required is becoming common.

These remarks are for guidance only.

Cheers :right:
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
pushkin
post Sep 8 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,317
Drives: buying

:grouphug:

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Sep 10 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Auckland.

QuoteReply
Auckland
post Oct 24 2007, 02:44 AM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

:cat: My pleasure Sir.

Cheers :right:

QuoteReply
happynow
post Apr 11 2008, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 40,863
Drives: gfgv

Thanks a lot .

QuoteReply
TheGreekMason
post Apr 11 2008, 08:40 PM
Post #6

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 31,123

hey auckland, bro, when do i kick the tires? at the start before negotiations, or during? should i let the dealer see me do it, or distract him first? how about doing a burnout first? i could tell him i am checking the brakes. :grin: now you know why the mrs doesn't come shopping with me. i am a baaaaaaaaaaaad boy :devil:

QuoteReply
SadinMontana
post Sep 5 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 47,771
Drives: 1979 242 DL

Well, where do I start. I purchased my 1979 242 DL in 2000 for $350. That car and I spend many hours and miles on the highway, back roads and in between. It was the best car I've owned and I loved driving it. I even drove it to the Grand Canyon, and had the best breakdown ever on my way home. The alternator went out in Hamer, Idaho. So I stayed a night with a nice Mormon family of sheep farmers and had peach cobbler. After a quick trip to a small machine shop the next morning, I was back on the road headed home to Missoula, Montana. Eight years later, this wonderful car is at the end of its road. A crazed (uninsured) teenager sideswiped my poor Volvo as it was parked, defenseless, on a city streetside. So, I'd like to sell it whole or piece it out to raise money to fix our other car that was also damaged in the accident. It has engine issues, and of course the driver's side is smunched, but interior parts and (unsmunched) exterior is in good condition so many useable, like new parts that are otherwise very expensive. Help me make my Volvo live on, in other cars. Any interest?

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Sep 9 2008, 08:05 PM
Post #8

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

Dear Sad-in-Montana,

You may have better luck in the 240 forums.
:)

By the way, Greek, you can start kicking the tyres at ANY time you wish.
:)

QuoteReply
volvosforwholesa...
post Oct 29 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 49,930
Drives: xc 90

Autoworld of Springfield is selling 2006-2007 Volvo XC90''s Directly off Volvo lease return. They have acquired over 3 truckloads at special purchase pricing. They range from $3000-$8000 below NADA wholesale. You can call them toll free at 1-800-505-8004 between 9am-6pm CST. They are located in Springfield, mo. They can also ship anywhere in the U.S. at very reasonable prices. If you want to save thousands over your Volvo dealer, give them a call before these are gone.

QuoteReply
bloggerbloggy
post Jun 25 2010, 12:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 74,564
Drives: Volvo

Hi, I just bought a used Volvo. Your advise really helped me a lot. Thank you. This is a good assitance to all not so into cars interiors like me. I am sure that many will find your post that helpful as much as I did. I really hope that you'll be able to help alot more volvo fans like me. I just don't have much budget to purchase brand new. So, once again, thanks a bunch!

upholstery maryland
pull out shelves Williamsburg

QuoteReply
Auckland
post Jun 25 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #11

Veteran
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cat.gif) Good morning to the Phillipines and to you bloggerbloggy.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000732.gif) Welcome to the forum.

Thank you very much for your very kind words. I just re-read the article which I wrote. I can't believe I wrote all that 4 years ago!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grin.gif) Worse still, I still wouldn't change a word or add another statement. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

Anyway, you'll enjoy the forum-you don't have to be mad to be here-it just helps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Cheers from the South Pacific (IMG:style_emoticons/default/right.gif)

QuoteReply
Volvo US dealers
post Apr 7 2011, 07:58 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 87,818
Drives: 2011 S60, 2010 c30, 2010 c70

I suggest you should check out what other people say about the dealership you want to buy your new Volvo so that you don't get ripped,

You can find all the Volvo Dealers in the USA here : Volvo Dealers USA

QuoteReply
Wrenchbender
post Feb 17 2012, 01:07 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 104,004
Drives: 1999 F350 Superduty

I have come to this forum in search of info ,theres a 1976 245 wagon that has caught my eye and with the miles at 109,000 and it looks good in the pictures the $$ is right I'm going to take a ride and check it out . I'm needing this as a daily commuter so that I can park my big ole dually and save some $$ .I remember these cars as being very durable and well built I have never owned 1 but that might change, I like older vehicles anyway.

QuoteReply
michel317
post Oct 2 2012, 12:18 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 111,457
Drives: not any

hello freinds
welcome you all to this site
volvo is vey good automobile
i want to introduce you all to awesome website where you can get every thing
dainik bhasker

QuoteReply
Boxywagon4me
post Nov 1 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 112,398
Drives: Want an old 240 or 245 looking for one

Hello,

Northern Cali here, have always had my eye on the old Volvo wagons, loved them from afar and secretly wanted. Had a 2000 XC but sold it. Love old cars thinking of buying a 1985 245 cl/sw wagon, haven't checked it out yet. What does the cl/sw stand for? Can't find that when I google it.

The asking price is $1,995 with 118k miles on body but 30k miles on new bigger Engine. 2nd owner, garaged, 1st owner put a bigger engine in it, worked for Volvo at the time so it's a Volvo engine, according to them.

The car is either for me or might give to my son in college. I may keep it to tow around my other kids and buy him something else. I joined because I'd like to know more about these cars and if I'm not making a huge mistake in your opinion. I am no mechanic, I currently drive a new car but honestly I'd rather not pay the tags, smog, payment, or the insurance $$$$ and it just doesn't have the class this wagon has.
My kids think I am crazy!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

This post has been edited by Boxywagon4me: Nov 1 2012, 01:56 PM

QuoteReply
vters
post May 15 2013, 08:35 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 115,619
Drives: nothing yet

Hello from Vermont
My husband and I are looking to buy our 1st Volvo. We are looking at a xc70 as we live in the woods up a huge hill and think we need awd..this is our 2nd car so we are looking to spend up to 7000...should we be concerned about the amount of miles everyone we talk to says not to because they run forever.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest New Member Area/Introduction Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo?
Why Volvo?
0 supero 231 23rd September 2014 - 08:33 PM
Last post by: supero
No New Posts Volvo V40 T4 - Knob Safety Lock
5 KONE 1,417 15th September 2014 - 01:49 AM
Last post by: masud ali
No New Posts Volvo 240gl Wagon For Sale Near Perth Wa
Volvo 240GL wagon for sale near Perth WA
0 lee_ricketts1 175 6th September 2014 - 05:43 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsVolvo 240gl Wagon For Sale
Selling 240GL
0 lee_ricketts1 331 2nd September 2014 - 10:02 AM
Last post by: lee_ricketts1
No New Posts Volvo Forum Is Boring!
not enough participation
2 supero 322 30th August 2014 - 11:30 AM
Last post by: danielm85948

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 25th October 2014 - 12:34 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement