Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Immobilizer, cannot start car...again!
buffalovolvo
post Jun 25 2006, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,321
Drives: vovlo v70xc

[COLOR=blue]Hi-
I am new to the forum and I wish it were under a better circumstance. Had our cross country towed last night for the third time in a month. Keep getting an immobilizer alert on the message board. Our service dept at the dealer did replace the antenna ring once but the problem occured again. Got the car back after the second repair and all seemed well but within 4 days the car failed again.
Any thoughts??? So frustrating and I'm afraid to take our children out in the vehicle for fear we will all get stuck somewhere. Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have.............
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
starfish
post Jul 9 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 9,824
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70XC

Is the problem happening with all of the three keys provided by Volvo? It might just be one bad key?

QuoteReply
scubagirl
post Sep 6 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 32,275
Drives: 2004 Volvo xc 70 AWD, 1996 volvo wagon

Hi buffalo-

I am new here and looking for the same answers! I've totally stopped driving our xc after three strandings because of the immobiliser. Luckily we have a "spare"; our "hauling" car- an old 850 that I am driving everywhere.

My husband keeps trying with the xc (he must be more optimistic than I am) and he is stranded yet again today. It is the second time in two weeks.

The dealer keeps telling us to wait five hours then it will start. As if this is a good option while standing in a parking lot somewhere...

It happens with all the keys; we've had the ring replaced...still no luck.

Maybe more people will chime in with success stories. Otherwise I love the car!

QuoteReply
Obey the Fist
post Sep 16 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 32,648
Drives: 2001 Volvo XC70

I had my 2001 XC70 parked in the hospital's garage while my son was being born. On one of my many trips to the car over those 3 days I found a set of keys I had lost and replaced long ago. Since it cost me $300 to replace them, I was happy to have a spare. I wondered if the remote would still work and tried it out. Doors locked just fine!

The day we were sent home I went to the car so I could pull up front and load my wife and son. Car would not start. "Immobilizer. See Manual," read the message board. I didn't have a manual with me. I jumped to the conclusion that I had triggered some sort of anti-theft device by using the long lost, disabled remote, so I called my dealer.

"Have it towed to us. We'll have you back up and running in a couple of days." This was not an option, so I searched the internet. Lot's of questions about this, but no answers and I needed to get my family home.

I ended up calling a friend for a ride and had the car towed. At the dealership the guy took my keys and locked/unlocked the door 5 times in a row with the remote. This reset the immobilizer and I was on my way. Obviously they couldn't just tell me that over the phone, but good god. I hope this info can help someone else.

QuoteReply
pezlaa
post Dec 15 2007, 10:09 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 29,244
Drives: 1999 Volvo S40 1.6

Just to add to this:

My volvo S40 1999 wouldnt start. Ignition turned, didnt start, and all the dash lights came on. Immobilizer light was flashing. Just would not even turn over.

Done the instruction below from Obey the Fist and it worked fine.

I ended up calling a friend for a ride and had the car towed. At the dealership the guy took my keys and locked/unlocked the door 5 times in a row with the remote. This reset the immobilizer and I was on my way. Obviously they couldn't just tell me that over the phone, but good god. I hope this info can help someone else.

QuoteReply
Volvo S 40
post Aug 19 2008, 06:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 47,071
Drives: 2005 Volvo S40

Thanks guys. I will try this next time. My problem was that I put my key next to a magnetized key from work. I ran into an another problem, I spent 10 mins trying to start the car, then it finally started but my check engine light went on. After driving for 15 min I turned the car off and then turned it back on the the check engine light went off. Did anybody else experienced this.

QuoteReply
dougpeng
post Aug 29 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 47,240
Drives: 2001 V40

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2001 V40 in the last few weeks. Sometimes it would start perfectly, sometimes it requires 3~5 tries before it starts. A few times it won't start altogether. I realized it was a faulty immobilizer when I checked the dashboard, as there is a blinking car icon with an "X" over it. This icon means the Immobilizer has been activated and hence won't allow the car to start. I tried the locking and unlocking of the doors five times with the remote to reset the immobilizer and it seems to cure the problem each time. I'll report back in a few weeks to confirm if this is indeed true.

QuoteReply
milo123
post Sep 14 2008, 09:44 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 47,752
Drives: 2001 v70 t5

In the past 6 months we have had problems with our 01' V70 T5 not starting. The immobilizer message would come up on the dash, but what is important to note is that the immobilizer indicator didn't appear initially but only after several attempts at trying to start the car. The reason this is important is because many are having their immobilizer unit and antenna replaced (we had the antenna ring replaced for $100) and I don't believe the immobilizer was the problem. Instead we had a loose connection to the starter (keeping my fingers crossed that this is/was the problem) and the immobilizer appears to have been triggered by the many attempts at simply trying to start the car; as a security device this seems to make sense that it would be triggered after successive attempts at trying to turn the key. It should be noted that we did have issues with both keys (we do not have a valet key) and we also tried the locking and unlocking 5X trick with no luck. In short, after we had the antenna replaced and continued to have problems my mechanic in Minneapolis (Foreign Auto specialties-who I swear by) and I started to check the voltage at several points and found the loose connection at the starter. Since we tightened the connection we have had no problems. Best of luck to all who might have similar problems.

steven

QuoteReply
freediver
post Mar 3 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 39,820
Drives: Volvo S40 1.8i

An other greatful member:

S40 1998, immobilizer was on, no ignition. Did what "Obey the Fist" recommended. AND IT WORKED!!!

Thanks a lot!

QuoteReply
Login:dhts
post May 3 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 56,357
Drives: 2005 V70 T5

I had already had my Volvo 750 towed, with my family aboard, 150 miles home from holiday when I heard about a similar problem with a Rover parked near a microwave communication dish on a telephone exchange. The repairman said the problem was due to RF interference, pushed the car 30 feet away and it started immediately.

The first time my V 70 did it, it was in a hospital car park. After an hour the repair truck arrived and parked between the Hospital's VHF mast and my car and it started first time. The repairman gave a similar story about interference.

Today I got towed up onto the truck, for what was going to be an very inconvenient loss of vehicle. I asked for one last try and it started quite happily.

All of these could have been "Obey the fist"'s five door trick, as I must have done that by the time each of them started. I will try that next time, push the car down the road if it does not work; then call for help.

Dissapointing that Volvo Assistance do not recommend these simple remedies before sending out a truck.

QuoteReply
mcollard
post Aug 17 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 60,993
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD

I also have had this problem, however mine says Alarm Service Required.

Suspect rechargeable batteries in alarm have failed.

Will try suggestions here (battery, starter cable, module cabling) before tearing into security module.

QuoteReply
jenk178
post Mar 29 2010, 05:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 70,853
Drives: 2005 XC 90

It worked; the car would not start with any of our keys; the remote did not work; we put the key in the door and locked/ unlocked 5+ times. And voila! Thanks!!

QuoteReply
rjace52
post Oct 14 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 79,932
Drives: 2002 Volvo XC 70 AWD

We have 2002 XC wagon as well. We love the car but we had the same starting issues as well recently. It would occasionally not start and we got the immobilizer message. It would eventually start after a few tries. But yesterday it failed to start at all. Fortunately the car was in our driveway and we have AAA so we had it towed to the Volvo dealer. I was amazed, and impressed, by the fact that the service manager knew exactly what the problem was. It was a loose wire that goes from the antenna wring to the starter. They cleaned and replaced it, free of charge I might add, and the car started right up. He told me that 90% of the time that is the problem. He explained it this way...The wire gets corroded or loose over time. Then if you fail to get a good connection the dash lights come on, turn the key and nothing. You sometimes don't get the immobilzer message right away. ONLY after you try to start it a few times. The car then thinks someone is trying to steal it and it kicks in the immobilizer and shuts the car down. So if you get this problem have the wire checked. It worked for us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QuoteReply
bark22
post Nov 1 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 80,843
Drives: 2005 Volvo S40I

I have a 2005 S40 and this morning I had the same issue where the car didn't start the first time and I saw a "immobilizer activited" message displayed. The second time the car did start with no message but my "check engine" light came on. I drove it to and from work and found this forum and a possible solution of "locking and unlocking the door 5 times with the key". Well, the car starts fine now AND the check engine light went away. Thanks for the solution!

QuoteReply
Chefburgess
post Nov 27 2010, 10:54 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 82,078
Drives: 2004 Volvo v70

I have a 2004 v70, and I suspect it might be the immobilizer. Generally, after a heavy rain, I can count on the car failing. It wont start or crank, and there is no power at all. Sometimes, it will stall in the road and cant be started. I have taken it to the Volvo shop twice, and they are unable to register any codes to diagnose. They seem competent enough, but this is the second time they are returning a vehicle to me that they cant fix.
I have asked them to check the immobilzer, antenna ring, corroded wires from the starter, and requested that they start from the ignition and troubleshoot to the starter, I will pay for the labor.
So here are my question's:

Does this sound like an immobilizer problem?
Why wont any codes show up in the diagnostics?
Why wont Volvo attempt to troubleshoot without code systems, even if I am willing to pay for the work?
Is it standard that a diagnostics wont register a "no crank scenario"?

I love my car. If Volvo cant fix it, what is my next step? How can I troubleshoot this myself?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

QuoteReply
shagrat2006
post Dec 14 2010, 04:22 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 82,885
Drives: 2001 Volvo S40 1.9D

Hi guys.

Unfortunately, the solution proposed by Obey the Fist didn’t work for me.

I have the same problem with immobilizer but it just comes when it’s cold (-2°C…-5°C…-10°C). The battery is new; I changed it this year. The coolant doesn’t appear frozen but it wasn’t replaced since 5 years.

Should I replace the coolant for fixing my problem?

QuoteReply
izodmartin
post Feb 9 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 75,815
Drives: 2002 Volvo C70 LT Conv

I'm had the same issue never tried the remote thing, but my fix was to rub the key handle on the ignition switch and it starts.

QuoteReply
glassfishy
post Mar 4 2011, 03:08 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 86,375
Drives: 2002 S60 2.4L

QUOTE (rjace52 @ Oct 14 2010, 08:23 AM)
We have 2002 XC wagon as well. We love the car but we had the same starting issues as well recently. It would occasionally not start and we got the immobilizer message. It would eventually start after a few tries. But yesterday it failed to start at all. Fortunately the car was in our driveway and we have AAA so we had it towed to the Volvo dealer. I was amazed, and impressed, by the fact that the service manager knew exactly what the problem was. It was a loose wire that goes from the antenna wring to the starter. They cleaned and replaced it, free of charge I might add, and the car started right up. He told me that 90% of the time that is the problem. He explained it this way...The wire gets corroded or loose over time. Then if you fail to get a good connection the dash lights come on, turn the key and nothing. You sometimes don't get the immobilzer message right away. ONLY after you try to start it a few times. The car then thinks someone is trying to steal it and it kicks in the immobilizer and shuts the car down. So if you get this problem have the wire checked. It worked for us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...

I just bought a used S60 two weeks ago and noticed every once in awhile the car wouldn't start on first try. We tried to start this morning and it wouldn't crank at all. I tried it later that day and it wouldn't start again. After a few attempts I got the Immobilizer message.

Just to make sure everyone understands there are two problems here.

The main problem is the corroded starter wire that is starting the problem. When this problem starts you attempt to start the car and it "locks" or immobilizes the car from starting. So you have to do the lock/unlock 5 times as described above to reset the system. What I did was reset the immobilizer system and jiggled the set of wires going to the starter and it started. I have yet to undo the set of wires as they're hard to get to and I'm not a car person. Going to take to a friend and have him help. But if you're in a pinch and can locate where the start is, there is a set of wires to the left that you can jiggle. This allowed me to start it. Worst case scenario, take it to your mechanic and have them do this first before they start replacing crap.

Steve

QuoteReply
s40champ
post May 30 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 90,130
Drives: 2007 Volvo s40

Drove down the coast yesterday from NorCal to SoCal (approx 500 mi) and when I went to start my car this morning, I got the infamous immobilizer message. I immediately went online and came across this thread. I tried the "Obey the Fist" post, and my car immediately started after.

Thanks so much!!!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post May 30 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #20

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (buffalovolvo @ Jun 25 2006, 06:16 PM)
[COLOR=blue]Hi-
I am new to the forum and I wish it were under a better circumstance. Had our cross country towed last night for the third time in a month. Keep getting an immobilizer alert on the message board. Our service dept at the dealer did replace the antenna ring once but the problem occured again. Got the car back after the second repair and all seemed well but within 4 days the car failed again.
Any thoughts??? So frustrating and I'm afraid to take our children out in the vehicle for fear we will all get stuck somewhere. Thanks for any thoughts anyone may have.............

i think to all of you with this ,get a new battery for your remote.

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Immobilizer
C30 will not start
1 JimDay 331 25th September 2014 - 09:38 AM
Last post by: JimDay
No New Posts 2006 S40 Immobilizer Problem
2006 s40 immobilizer prob
2 jlturner2708 5,672 25th January 2014 - 04:04 PM
Last post by: Bobsky
No New Posts Immobilizer
Non start, relay clicking
0 PLanetNZ 1,139 21st November 2012 - 05:15 PM
Last post by: PLanetNZ
No New Posts 04.5 Volvo S40 Immobilizer Issue
Bake failure, Brake fluid low Immobulizer see manual
2 McAnderson7 3,094 3rd November 2012 - 06:31 PM
Last post by: Mylilsissvolvo
No New Posts Immobilizer - Start Inhibitor 02 Awd S60
Anyway to reset it w/o the dealer?
16 redheath 19,829 9th July 2012 - 01:50 PM
Last post by: Mountman

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 12:16 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement