Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Water In Doorsills
NitroPress
post Apr 25 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,011
Drives: '05 XC90 V8 & '05 S60R

Like a lot of the country, we've had an extended period of heavy rain this spring. My '05 XC90 is parked outside, and frequently after a rainstorm I open the driver's door only to have a large quantity of water - a pint or so - pour out from the doorsill area. It's happened repeatedly and is occasionally seen on the front passenger door, but never on the two rears. There are droplets and moisture all over the silver sill inlay when this happens, which seems like it should be inside the seal (but I'm not sure...)

It does not seem right to me that so much water should be trapped against the lower door. The seals all appear to be fine and the car is parked on a normal manner, level from side to side with about a 5 degree rearward tilt. I was just in for routine service and asked the dealer to look at the problem. The report was that the seals were working properly and - get this - there were no codes from the drainage system.

Does the car have a "drainage system" that's monitored by the ECU? Seems very unlikely - is this just dealerese for "no problem found"?

Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions for fixing it or getting the dealer to fix it? We're headed into a hot dry summer (with any luck) and it won't be an issue again for months, but I'd like to not get wet feet the next time there's a rainstorm and I forget to stand back while opening the door...
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Jbers
post May 7 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 14,478
Drives: 2006 XC90 T5

We've had the exact same problem. So far we've only noticed it when it's been stood outside all night on our drive that has a slight incline. The dealer tried to replicate the conditions but couldn't. I think they think we're crazy, but I told him he wouldn't want that amount of rainwater in his shoes every morning. He just kind of stared at the door sills scratching his head.

We're in Northern California also and are dreading the fall when this problem rears it's ugly head again. For now the dealer has it noted that we're are unhappy with the problem and I dropped 'lemon' in the conversation once or twice. We're very disappointed and are in limbo with this problem until it starts raining again. It's good to know that we're not the only ones with this problem but it might mean that it's a design flaw.

QuoteReply
Hasmat
post May 12 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 14,645
Drives: 2006 XC90 AWD 2.5T

Yesterday after an all night rain, I opened the driver door on my 3 wk old XC90, and about a qt of water ran out. I thougt how odd. So I checked this site and lo-and behold others with the same experience.
Still haven't been to the the dealer for my first round of dues, but the water issue will be raised.
Hasmat
Oakville, ON.

QuoteReply
flyboy320
post May 13 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,765
Drives: XC90

Lots of reports on swedespeed with the same problem of water in the door sills :(

I remember looking for our XC90 last summer and opening a door on one sitting outside on the dealers lot after a heavy thunderstorm, and proceeded to get my shoes soaking wet with the water coming out of the door sills.

QuoteReply
jet1011
post Jun 27 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,444
Drives: VOLVO XC90

I just bought a used 2003 XC90 and after a hard rain over the weekend had the same problem. Although the car is out of warranty, the Volvo dealer in our area was very helpful.

A'm told that there could be 2 reasons for it:
It could be the drain from the sunroof being stopped up, and then the water finds a way out.
Or, the drain at the front end of the windshield is too small and when it rains hard it cannot drain completely and the water comes inside the car.

I have not been told exactly how it happens, but I have an appointment to take it in and see if they can fix it.

Otherwise, I am very sory I did not discover Volvo before now. The car runs great!

QuoteReply
kimhos
post Jul 5 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,751
Drives: Volvo XC90

Our Xc90, 2003 has had a water leak problem for the last year and no one wants to deal with it ....until our vehjcle got stuck in park. It had to be towed into the dealer and we were informed that there is a "pool" of water in the console that is messing up the sensors. My service guy told me it's a $1000. part so we're anxious to make sure this is all under warranty....Any thoughts or experience from another owner is greatly appreciated...

QuoteReply
fryeguyltd
post Nov 7 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,993
Drives: 2005 Volvo XC90, 2006 Volvo XC90

Interesting post. My wife has recently noticed the sound of water "sloshing" back and forth under her feet when she brakes. Consequently, she also noticed that periodically, the car would not shift out of park. The dealer said that the car must have been driven through a flooded street so that water was above the bottom of the door and leaked into the frame below the carpet / floorboards. We know FOR A FACT that the car has not been driven through a flooded street. I found a similar post on another forum that says that this is a "common problem". The exhaust hose for the AC system gets clogged, and the water / condensation drains back into the cabin. I have asked for more clarification on this....

Is this what you have experienced?

QuoteReply
scraft
post Nov 14 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 21,193
Drives: Volvo XC 90

Same problem. I finally got it fixed. Volvo replaced the drains for my sunroof. Also, the weather stripping around the windows was replaced. No more water in the doorsills.

QuoteReply
Jbers
post Dec 12 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 14,478
Drives: 2006 XC90 T5

After last nights heavy rain in N California my xc90 is back at the dealership for the 5th time to try and fix this problem. I'll definitely pass on your info. Thanks.

QuoteReply
VolvoDownunder
post Jun 19 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #10

Senior

Member No.: 3,414
Drives: 2006 XC90 2.5 and 2008 S40LE

Hi all

I am in Australia and recently (May 2007) purchased an XC90 MY06 Model Demonstrator with 3700klms on the clock.

We have recently had a considerable amount of rain and to my surprise when I opened the passenger front door - out came a large amount of water that had been trapped on the upper sill. As the car was parked on an incline it had managed to run over the sill and onto the back carpet under the passenger seat. There was a smaller amount of water on the drivers side.

I have spoken with the dealer who was quite "surprised" not having encountered the problem previously. I have to book it in for them to look at the problem.

I acquainted him with this web site and have printed out a copy of all of the comments for him to read.

I await with interest as to their resolution of the problem and will report it back on the Forum.

Volvodownunder.

Since my last post on this issue I have had further instances of water on the sills and when parked on an uphill slope even running back into the car soaking the rear carpet and half filling the rubber floor trays. I was able to take some digital photos of the water in situ.
The vehicle has been back to the dealer who could not replicate the situation, however has filed a report with Volvo Australia and will also send them copies of my photos - the water clearly visible.
Their first thought is that the seals around the doors are not fully sealing and will be directed by Volvo to replace them - however need their authorisation to do so.
If that does not work they will just keep trying different things - luckily the vehicle has plenty of warranty time left.

Volvo Australia will not authorise new door seals - they want more testing - claim not to have heard of problem previously - I am copying posts and will deliver a copy to them when next in Sydney. Will also take vehicle to dealer for more water testing.

I have closely watched the problem and determined that the water is entering beyond the door seal at about where the locking mechanism and hinges are placed.

This post has been edited by VolvoDownunder: Nov 2 2007, 04:35 AM

QuoteReply
RPMcCormick
post Sep 23 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 32,885
Drives: 2007 Volvo XC90

Interesting ... I purchased a 2007 Volvo XC90 under the European delivery program and took delivery in the spring of 2007.

I have noticed on five separate occasions that after a period of extremely heavy rainfall when opening the front doors (either driver or passenger) a fair amount of water drains out.

This occurs with the vehicle parked on flat, level ground (outside my office window).

In some cases this has occurred long after a rainfall - even when the pavement has totally dried.

The last time it did this I tried to pay particular attention to where the water was coming from. It would appear that the source is the drain hole (about 1x0.5cm) in the front of the door (i.e., nearer the hinge).

I was wondering if the gasket setup on the doors was not allowing the water to drain. My concerns are long term corrosion (rust) and winter freezing.

The vehicle just had its first dealer service where I asked them to check into this; they indicated all was OK and nothing looked improper. Will keep an eye on this and attempt to get some photos.

QuoteReply
gsjaxbch
post Dec 11 2007, 08:11 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 33,041
Drives: 2004 XC90, 2000 S70

I had the same heavy rain issue with our 2004 XC90 - in Florida, heavy thunderstorms - dealer just completed a modification in the pillars as I was advised that the drain system wasn't large enough to handle the flow of water coming down through them - the way it was described was basically a routing out of the drain lines and a modification at the bottom of the front pillars to let it pass more water through to drain. Surprised after three and 1/2 years this took place. Had the collection of water under the carpet. They took it apart and drained it, keeping it four days in the process. After a month, got the musty smell and had it back in for what they called a de-ionization (deep carpet clean and chemical application). Concerned as to long term effect as the smell was bad - we'll see what happens. Warranty is up in Feb - so, have to keep a close eye on it. No summer heat to give it the real test.

QuoteReply
VolvoDownunder
post Dec 23 2007, 06:01 AM
Post #13

Senior

Member No.: 3,414
Drives: 2006 XC90 2.5 and 2008 S40LE

Since ast post I have had further water on the sill and inside the vehicle. Taken additional photos and sent to dealer (15 photos in total now)
Returned car to dealer who had it for a week - provided me with courtesy car free of charge.
Further testing by them using a hose did not show water entering vehicle - what pools on inner sill "normal"?? - as a result Volvo Australia would not authorise any new seals or other work to alleviate problem.
I then sent an e-mail to Volvo Sweden who referred my problem to their Sydney office - I was contacted by a person from that office to whom I explained the whole situation - he advises me that following disucssions with their Technical people in Melbourne that as the dealer could not replicate my problem they considered that no problem existed. He suggested that if the problem re occurred I should take it to my local dealer (not the selling dealer) and show them the water inside the car.
I am totally disgusted with their attitude and am now considering involving the current affairs area of local TV station to hilite my issue and their attitude - it has worked for others with problems with makes previously.
They also stated that they took no notice of anything on a "Forum" as it was only "hearsay". My response not hearsay many statements of fact from unhappy owners.
Have any of the other owners with this problem managed to have the problem solved?

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Intermittent Failure Fob/remote
1 Jasper van Dijk 180 3rd July 2014 - 03:30 AM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Intermittent Speedometer/odometer Failure
Intermittent speedometer/odometer failure
2 budalla 262 2nd June 2014 - 07:57 AM
Last post by: moncharleskey
No New Posts Water On Passenger Side Floor
6 LiteWait 954 14th January 2014 - 07:10 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Installling Aftermarket Radio
3 Alex G 814 11th January 2014 - 01:07 PM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts Inside Passenger Front Inside Door Handle
Won't open from the inside but does from the outside
0 zoots alures 316 17th October 2013 - 09:02 PM
Last post by: zoots alures

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 06:27 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement