Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> S70 Rough Idle And Stalls, S70 runs rich rough idle stalls @low RPM
erpena
post Apr 20 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,054
Drives: 1998 Volvo S70

I have a 1998 S70 non-turbo 5. The car started to sputter while driving and progressively got worse over a couple of weeks. It finally sputtered badly and stalled on me while driving. The car would not start after this..it would turn over but would not start. I had to have it towed home. I then went out the next day and tried to start the car. It started but idled very rough. I had to give it gas or it would stall out. If I rev the engine up above 2500 RPM then it seem to run fine but very rich. If I let off the gas pedal, RPM drops very quickly and stalls. I then cannot start the car up again, seems like it is flooded. I replaced the fuel filter, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the spark plugs. I did notice when changing the spark plugs that the third had quite a bit of oil in the top of the plug. My oil cap seems to have a small leak (bad gasket) that allows oil to accumulate on the manafold. The bottom part of the plug (the part that screws into the engine) did not have any oil on it but alot of black carbon on each. The car will start once a day or every several hours, but if I let it stall then I cannot start it again unless I wait for several hours. I don't want to spend alot on this car because it is old. Any suggestions on what I should look at next?

Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ljjones
post Apr 22 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,246
Drives: 99 S70AWD, 84 760PRV6, 75 164E

Try unplugging the MAF sensor. It's in the air tube between the air filter and the throttle body. If the car starts and idles better with the sensor unplugged it is probably a bad MAF. Sometimes they can be removed (two torx screws) and cleaned with chlorine-free brake cleaner. There were also issues with the electrical connector. Usually if it's so bad the car won't run you will need a new MAF.

QuoteReply
Duke
post Apr 27 2006, 01:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,733

I had a problem with the engine running very rich and had to replace the front O2 sensor - but I also had a Check Engine light on. Also, it helps to disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes after changing or cleaning the MAF or an O2 sensor. Good luck!!

QuoteReply
Starfighter
post May 4 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,270
Drives: 1989 740 SW 16v , 1998 S70

I recommend you check the distributor before buying a new MAS. If you live in a damp climate the humidity will migrate into the distributor and condense overnight, creating a small electrical storm inside the dist cap that causes all sorts of problems. If the cap is coated with dust on the inside when you remove it, that's probably the problem. The fix is a new cap and rotor - or a cleaning and file off the burrs. If the sit'n doesn't improve then it's likely the MAS. Good luck!

QuoteReply
1998VolvoS70
post Sep 3 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 94,795

I have the same exact problem. Rough start, sometimes won't start at all. On the freeway at high RRM's the car runs fine, but when I slow down, the car struggles. Once the car slows down or the RPM's get lower, the car eventually shuts off/stalls. Please keep me posted if anyone of you are able to fix this problem. Thanks! =)

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 3 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (1998VolvoS70 @ Sep 3 2011, 02:24 PM)
I have the same exact problem. Rough start, sometimes won't start at all. On the freeway at high RRM's the car runs fine, but when I slow down, the car struggles. Once the car slows down or the RPM's get lower, the car eventually shuts off/stalls. Please keep me posted if anyone of you are able to fix this problem. Thanks! =)

dirty idle control valve ,dirty throttle body,dirty air mass meter,clean all with carb cleaner, change the fuel pump relay,do not take apart or adjust the throttle body,all parts to be cleaned ,spray on the carb cleaner,spray in to both holes of the idle control valve,and light spray in to the air mass meter.

QuoteReply
do-it-myself
post Sep 21 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 95,673
Drives: 2001 Volvo V70XC T5 AWD

if your car is 1995 or newer, you should take it to Autozone or get a $20 code reader from costco to check the engine problem codes. Autozone stores do it for free! (or go to http://www.obd-codes.com/ to get more details about the codes.)

you'll know what the exact problems were, not guesses provided by 'wild and helpful' audience, which will lead you to spending hours and $$$$ chasing wild goose! and lots of frustration and headache... (not to make your spouses and children unhappy!)

:-)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2000) S70, V70 & V70XC Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Idle Rpm
linear actuator
0 cytashiro 428 22nd October 2013 - 04:23 PM
Last post by: cytashiro
No New Posts Rough Idle, Cylinder Misfires, Not Much Acceleration And More!
3 Scott13 769 20th October 2013 - 12:21 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Rough Idle, Surging, No Acceleration. Urgent Please Help
Rough idle, No acceleration, engine surging
3 Slicer89 1,005 2nd October 2013 - 01:25 AM
Last post by: mykael
No New Posts Rough Idle, Surging, No Acceleration. Urgent Please Help
Rough idle, No acceleration, engine surging
1 Slicer89 701 26th September 2013 - 08:22 PM
Last post by: Slicer89
No New Posts Stalls When Hot, Restarts After About 20 Minutes
7 newmex999 735 9th August 2013 - 06:17 AM
Last post by: SykO

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 07:13 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement