Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Driving Lights, Help with wiring Driving Lights on 1989 240 DL
Surfechoes
post Aug 18 2016, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 190,226
Drives: 1989 240 DL, 1992 245, 1993 245

Hi everyone. I want to add driving lights to my 1989 240 DL. Where I live the driving lights must turn off when the high beams are off.

My plan was to run power from the high beam circuit through a rocker switch to energize a relay which pulls power from the battery for the headlights. I thought the cleanest install would be to pull the rocker switch power from the turn signal/headlight switch, so there would only be a single wire running from the rocker switch through the firewall. I checked the wiring schematics I had, but couldn't find a colour code to indicate which line to tap.

I thought I would just probe the wires coming off the switch, thinking that one wire would energize when the high beam cirucuit is on. That doesn't appear to be the case. None of the wires change state (hot to cold or cold to hot) when testing, so I'm a bit confused. Using the basic test probe.

I have four wires connected by spade terminals to the turn signal switch. They are Green, Blue, Brown and a double Yellow. All the wires except the yellow are either hot or cold and don't change state. If I probe the yellow, a repeating click occurs, almost like an emergency flasher relay.

I'm thinking of something like the Hella-500 series lights. So my questions..

1) Which wire do I tap to energize the rocker switch?

2) Better/Easier to tap at the turn signal switch or somewhere else?

3) In-line fuse between the tap point and the rocker switch? If so what size? I was thinking 10amp.

4) What size relay? At 12v, 55watt, I calculate about a 5amp draw/light. So would a 15w relay be appropriate?

5) What size feed wire for the lights? Battery to relay, then relay to lights. I was thinking #10 Battery to relay, a spliced #12 to each light. Overkill?

6) I was planning on mounting the lights slightly off the center on the bumper top. Does anyone have any experience on how this mounting might impact cooling/airflow for the radiator. I know theoretically it will impede cooling, but does anyone have any practical experience - like mount the lights as close to the headlights as possible. Upper Mid-Altantic here, so cooling demands aren't like the South-West.

7) Any mounting solutions other than drilling holes in the bumper?

I put a new dash in the 240, so its all torn apart, just waiting for the new wiring to be added. Thought I'd ask everything I could think of before installing and learning the hard way!

Thank
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Flanne
post Jan 4 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 205,754
Drives: 2001 Volvo

Did you fix this yet?
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 240, 242, 244 & 245 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Lights Won't Light But Sometimes Do?
problem with front passenger side marker lights xc70
4 MJay 1,631 19th December 2011 - 09:07 AM
Last post by: himinimalz
No New Posts Lights For Volvo S60
2 Oz1984 2,539 15th November 2011 - 12:32 PM
Last post by: Oz1984
No New Posts Driving Lights Options ?
2 sverige 1,195 28th October 2011 - 05:28 AM
Last post by: sverige
No New Posts Lights On Volvo 850 Se Estate (1995 - M Reg)
Press clutch and brake lights come on !
3 dj124 1,108 10th September 2011 - 01:21 AM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Lights On Dash Behind Heated Seats, And Heater.
2 daleb 470 19th January 2011 - 09:31 PM
Last post by: midnightS60T5

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th March 2017 - 05:49 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.

Privacy Statement