Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Hidden Radio Menus, Adjust the Hidden Equalizer
tapaugh
post Feb 16 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,844
Drives: 2003 XC70

I have recently discovered that the HU 613 radio in my 2003 XC70 has some hidden menus that Volvo didn't tell me about and was NOT in my owners manual. It turns out there's equalizer setiings for both the front and rear speakers. It made my stereo sound much, much better!! There's also some other hidden menus that control certain radio settings but I would suggest not to mess with them. I've listed below how to access and adjust the hidden equalizer only.

Before you adjust the front and rear speakers equalization or tone you should know, the front speakers have 4 frequencies (L1 Low bass, L2 Mid bass, Mid, & High) and the back speakers have just 3 frequencies (Bass, Mid & High) that can be adjusted.
This menu can be accessed on my 2003 XC70 by doing the following:

Make sure key is in and turned to accessory position so the radio wil have power available, then

With radio off, press and hold the source button.
Then, press and release the Volume/on/off button.
Continue holding the source button.
In a few seconds the Equalizer Menu will appear.

Press the source button to change which frequency you want to adjust and turn the source button the adjust how much you want to boost or cut a particular frequency.

To save your settings, simply turn off the radio.

Hint: Turn your fader control to full front while adjusting the front speakers and then to full back while adjusting the back speakers. Makes it easier the hear your EQ changes.

THIS MADE A HUGH DIFFERENCE IN THE SOUND OF MY STEREO!!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ldollar
post Feb 16 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,588
Drives: 2004 Volvo V70 2.5T

:beer:
AWESOME tip!
Your directions were crystal clear and the sound improvement is clutch. Thanks for posting this!

QuoteReply
Cudrefin
post Feb 17 2006, 03:23 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,207
Drives: 2001 V70 SE (170)

QUOTE(tapaugh @ Feb 16 2006, 02:50 PM)
I have recently discovered that the HU 613 radio in my 2003 XC70 has some hidden menus that Volvo didn't tell me about and was NOT in my owners manual. It turns out there's equalizer setiings for both the front and rear speakers. It made my stereo sound much, much better!! There's also some other hidden menus that control certain radio settings but I would suggest not to mess with them. I've listed below how to access and adjust the hidden equalizer only.

Before you adjust the front and rear speakers equalization or tone you should know, the front speakers have 4 frequencies (L1 Low bass, L2 Mid bass, Mid, & High) and the back speakers have just 3 frequencies (Bass, Mid & High) that can be adjusted.
This menu can be accessed on my 2003 XC70 by doing the following:

Make sure key is in and turned to accessory position so the radio wil have power available, then

With radio off, press and hold the source button.
Then, press and release the Volume/on/off button.
Continue holding the source button.
In a few seconds the Equalizer Menu will appear.

Press the source button to change which frequency you want to adjust and turn the source button the adjust how much you want to boost or cut a particular frequency.

To save your settings, simply turn off the radio.

Hint: Turn your fader control to full front while adjusting the front speakers and then to full back while adjusting the back speakers. Makes it easier the hear your EQ changes.

THIS MADE A HUGH DIFFERENCE IN THE SOUND OF MY STEREO!!
[right][snapback]24524[/snapback][/right]

There are a whole load of settings for the HU803 that I found out about somewhere on the internet (can't remember where). I'm not sure if they apply to all of the 'HU' range but I've attached the file of information (Adobe Acrobat format) that I downloaded. All credits to the author obviously and I guess you play with the settings at your own risk.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  AudioSystemHU803HiddenMenus.pdf ( 112.62K ) Number of downloads: 3225

QuoteReply
tapaugh
post Feb 19 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,844
Drives: 2003 XC70

As I mentioned in my previous post, my instructions for changing the Hidden Equalizer settings ONLY ACCESS THE EQUALIZER and NOT ANY of the other hidden radio menus. I can see no reason why anyone would want or need to change any of these other settings. If you are concerned about "messing up" your radio, don't worry. If you tend to have a tin ear, well then, this may not be for you but if you want to transform your flat sounding HU 613 radio into something more enjoyable, then give it a try.

This may work on other radios but I'm not sure. I know for sure that it works on the HU 613.

QuoteReply
Jumbo
post Feb 16 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 24,716
Drives: Volvo S60 D5

@cudrefin.

I took the liberty to post the link You provided to the Dutch Volvo forum.
Hope it's Ok.

Jumbo

QuoteReply
Capn Trips
post Mar 17 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 25,962
Drives: 2007 Volvo V70

I'm military in the UK, and just bought a US specs V70 (literally 24 hours ago). Unfortunately the radio is set for US frequency steps (only odd-numbered decimal MHz steps for FM and 10 KHz steps for AM).

I found this thread and hoped the linked HU-803 hidden menus would work, but they do not (I have the HU-850 radio 6-CD changer).

Does anybody know the steps to switch this radio from US to European radio frequency steps?

QuoteReply
krzysieks
post Jul 15 2008, 04:56 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 38,669
Drives: rover 216

Find a garage with Autologic diagnostic tool (with volvo maintenance). They can change frequency setting for your radio.

QuoteReply
brianbelfast
post Jul 21 2008, 05:38 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 45,853
Drives: 2004 S80 D5

No need for diagnostics.

Proceedure is very similar to the equalizer menu.

With the radio off press and hold the disc 1-20 knob while at the same time switching the radio on. In a few seconds you will see three regions. You can release the 1-20 knob now. press it again to scroll through the regions until you are on the one you want. Now rotate the same knob once. You will see back and save. Press once and that's it !!

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

QuoteReply
robertz
post Mar 24 2009, 11:54 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 54,490
Drives: xc70 2004

I know this is an old post, but:

To have european frequency steps on a US HU613 in an XC70 you need the volvo software application 9488 838-5.

refer to http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/cat/n...640.htm#ftnotes.

Had it installed today at the dealer: 11 for the software and 33 for labour. Works great!

The hidden menus mentioned in forums didn't save area settings permanently on my car. Every time you switched on the ignition the radio would reset to the factory default of the software package (in my case US)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 2G (2001-2007) V70, V70XC & XC70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsRadio Wires Messed Up
2 nicolie 276 17th July 2014 - 03:00 AM
Last post by: nicolie
No New Posts Radio Problem V50
0 volvov50chris 560 5th March 2014 - 04:10 PM
Last post by: volvov50chris
No New Posts Radio Repair
Premium Sound Presets not working
3 KJay 613 9th February 2014 - 05:45 PM
Last post by: KJay
No New Posts Radio Code Not Working
7 pixieisms 2,310 24th December 2013 - 08:37 AM
Last post by: NJV40
No New Posts Radio Bezel/trim
0 Ethan17 447 27th May 2013 - 06:09 PM
Last post by: Ethan17

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 08:48 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement