Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Throttle Body Recall, Throttle body RECALL
mehdiaccardi
post Feb 9 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,589
Drives: S80 T6

You're losing power?
Engin light come on?
Emission system light on?
Some times the engin start shaking?
Hard to brake?
No power even if you pedal is at the max?
Cruise control stop working?

Your problem is the throttle boddy.

Actually i understand how you can feel, i had exactly the some problem on my S80 T6 about 2 weeks ago, and the problem was the cumputer of the Throttle Body.

The repair cost is 1 500$, and guess what, you're luky.. just like i'am. They's a recall on that part, and it'will cost you 0$ all free, Volvo cover the charges.

So just take it to a Volvo dealer, it'll take maximum of 5 hours to repair and you car will run as a new.

Regards
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jortega
post Feb 14 2006, 08:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,509
Drives: 1999 s80 T6

Did you get yours repair by volvo?and when?
I have call deferent volvo dealers and they don't know jack about this recall.
Other dealers said they wont replace the part if your car has more then 100K.
Other dealers said they will clean it for you first, if the problem continue they will consider replacing the Throttle Body may be that is a may be!

So if you can tell me when did you got yours change that will be a help for me because I he problems with my Throttle Body too...

QuoteReply
mehdiaccardi
post Feb 14 2006, 09:47 PM
Post #3

Hi

My S80 T6 is a 125 000 km = 78 000 MILES, i had the problem exacly on jan 12th, 2006, and i took it to the garage last Wednesday.
I took it to the garage in the morning and the tech called me a 13h to tell me that the car is ready and that the repair is covered by Volvo.

My car is 2000 so my warranty is over since 2004.

Regards

QuoteReply
mehdiaccardi
post Feb 14 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #4

I forgot to tell you.

They call it (The hidden warranty). if you don't INSIST on repairing it free, they would charge you.

And volvo know well that the electronic throttle is defective.

Call volvo head office.

Good luke

QuoteReply
JimL
post Feb 15 2006, 03:19 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 11,825
Drives: Volvoe S80

This is NOT a recall - but an agreement by Volvo (because they are being sued by several states) to extend the warranty on the Electronic Throttle Module for up to 10 years. Volvo is calling it a rebate. They don't want everyone to know about it. Just those that complain the loudest. I filed a complaint with the National Hwy Safety due to the fact that my Volvo S80 would stall while driving with my kids in the car on the highway at 60 MPH. The NHSB told me last year that they have almost 200 written complaints pertaining to the ETM on the Volvo's.

If you are like me and already paid out of pocket for this repair, you need to contact Volvo customer service and mail them the necessary receipts and paper work. I did all of this on December 20, 2005, and as of Feb 15, 2006 I have NOT received my reimbursement of near $900. I have contacted Volvo's Rebate department (phone#: 1-866-637-3774) on several occasions. When they do decide to answer the phone, they won't give you a definite answer. I am starting to think this Volvo rebate is just a scam unless there are others on here that have received their rebate check.

QuoteReply
Slick
post Feb 26 2006, 12:35 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,268
Drives: 99 S80; 02 Ford F-150 HD

99 S80 with 121K miles. Had local garage working a service/check engine light. They had problems with codes, but other than light car was running fine. had been briefed that if throttle body- looking at close to $1000.
Took car from garage and 2 weeks after lights 1st came on lost power and local garage had it towed to Alexendria Va Volvo dealer.
Got the car back- new throttle body and no charge. No discussions, no issues.

QuoteReply
poopbunny
post Feb 28 2006, 03:32 AM
Post #7

Expert
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,299
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6 Mileage 175k

Hi All

Detailed information including some very technical can be found here

Vexed Volvo

QuoteReply
JimL
post May 26 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 11,825
Drives: Volvoe S80

I want to give an update to my post above. I finally did get my refund check of about $900 from Volvo. It took close to 2 months and several phone calls. According to Volvo customer svc it took so long due to the fact that my work wasn't done by a Volvo dealer.

The new ETM that was installed resolved alot of the surging and stalling issues that I was experiencing. Now after replacing the ABS module, steering module, ETM module and the entire front end of my 2000 S80 T6, the car finally runs like it should have been running all along.

:460:

QuoteReply
wherespanda
post Feb 14 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 24,663
Drives: 2000 volvo S40

i have had these problems in my 2000 s40 for the last three years. Is this model included? My engine light comes on and it actually will accelerate itself on its own up to 40mph. My volvo mechanic has done all kinds of stuff except fix it.

QuoteReply
wherespanda
post Feb 14 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,663
Drives: 2000 volvo S40

i have had these problems in my 2000 s40 for the last three years. Is this model included? My engine light comes on and it actually will accelerate itself on its own up to 40mph. My volvo mechanic has done all kinds of stuff except fix it.

QuoteReply
gmc
post Apr 13 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,306
Drives: 1999 Volvo S80

I filled out an online form at the VOLVO Canada site,including my Vehicle Identification Number.This is the reply i received:

"There is a customer satisfaction campaign # 155 pertaining to an upgrade of the software for the Electronic Throttle System. Please, contact your authorized Volvo Retailer at your earliest convenience to have the upgrade completed at no cost to you.

To locate a dealer, please visit us on line at www.volvocanada.com and click on "Find a Retailer ".

"Due to the vehicle specific content of the software upgrade, the recall must be performed by an authorized Volvo retailer. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause. According to the vehicle identification number you have provided, your vehicle has an extended warranty for the Electronic Throttle module. If you have this component replaced or repaired with 10 years or 360,000 km you will be eligible for reimbursement. If you feel that you have a concern with your vehicle, please make an apppointment with your local Volvo retailer. "

My 1999 Volvo S80 has 275,000 km's on it and is still running great .my problem was a bad coil.

I suggest that you fill out the form like i did and volvo can tell you if your vehicle is covered.

QuoteReply
diesel
post Apr 29 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 26,783
Drives: 1999 Volvo S80 2.9

on my 99 s80 2.9, when the car is cold (just turned on, still ~75* out), it has power surges. it will surge from 1500rpm to 2000rpm no matter how much gas i give it. once it warms up a little, it will rev to 4000 but has no power as it's doing it. after it is warmed up, it will pull hard up to 5000rpm, then struggles at anything higher.

would this be caused by the trottle body? and if it is, my check engine light is on, but i think it's caused by a bad o2 sensor. would volvo fix the throttle body if the o2 sensor is in fact a problem?

thanks

QuoteReply
Mary99Ctry
post May 18 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 28,167
Drives: 1999 X Country

I have a 1999 Cross Country. Starting from about a year old, I have have problems with the Check Engine Light coming on. Every time I bring it in and they check the error codes, it comes up as a loose gas cap. Replaced the gas cap and have continued to have a problem. When it is reset, it comes back after around 75 miles.

I have had the ETS replaced already. About 2 months ago, I brought it in for the recall where they upgraded the software. Check engine light went away for about 3,000 miles and is back again and won't go off.

When I go around 60mph, the car makes a clunking sound around the middle of the car as if its kicking into gear. Mechanic can't seem to replicate the problem though it seems to happen just about every time I drive it. Can this be related to the ETS?

About 10-15,000 miles ago, the transmission fluid was flushed and the problem went away up until about 5,000 miles ago. Has anyone had a similar problem?

Is this related to the ETS problem, and if so, does the software need to be reprogrammed yet again?

QuoteReply
pickle
post Apr 25 2008, 08:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 41,590
Drives: 2000 Volvo V70XC

I am trying to research some problems with my 2000 V70XC. I just got it Monday night, and it's been in the shop until this afternoon. They did some neglected maintenance and it ran great for the afternoon. Later this evening, my check engine, ABS, and TRAC lights all came on. It didn't feel to be running any different, but I wonder if it could be related to the electronic throttle system? They researched the car and that recall (#155) has not yet been fixed. I think once we get the bugs out, this will be a great car, but I'm already getting frustrated.

QuoteReply
dunk08
post Oct 8 2010, 02:52 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 79,686
Drives: 2005 Volvo

Do you guys know the year and model of the cars affected by these Volvo recalls? I own a 2002 Volvo, i do have stalling issues too. what are the primary requirements?

QuoteReply
Falasi4
post Oct 11 2010, 12:05 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 79,630
Drives: 2000 S80

Is there a way to test a throttle body before replacing it?

I already took mine off and cleaned it, remounted it and no noticeable improvement.

2000 S80 2.9 - about 66k miles

symptoms: As soon as car is warmed up - moderate acceleration results in hesitation (normal start from stop sign or slight change in speed on highway). Accelerating more aggressively results in appropriately strong acceleration.

Thanks for any tips!

QuoteReply
edb_app
post Oct 13 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 79,711
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60T

To get the throttle body checked to see if it has been covered by a recall, 1st you have to take it to a Volvo dealership and have them run your VIN to see what recall parts have been replaced. I have the same problem... I took it to the dealership and it was replaced in 2007 by a previous owner... so basically I am s*&% out of luck! Please see my post in the S60 forum and see if you can offer any assistance! Thanks and hopefully your part hasn't been replaced!!!

QuoteReply
Vermont
post Oct 20 2010, 02:55 PM
Post #18

Senior

Member No.: 80,050
Drives: 2002 Volvo S60

QUOTE (dunk08 @ Oct 8 2010, 03:52 AM)
Do you guys know the year and model of the cars affected by these Volvo recalls? I own a 2002 Volvo, i do have stalling issues too. what are the primary requirements?

You should be able to call the:

Volvo Customer Care Center at 1-800-458-1552, with your VIN handy;

and they should be willing to tell you IF your vehicle was part of the recall; and

IF it has already been serviced.

I just read that phone number from the original ETS Recall paperwork that was sent to me in 2006. Because Volvo's Warranty for the Electronic Throttle System was also extended to 10 years OR 200,000 miles, I'm about to have this ETS unit serviced one more time . . . . because at 186,000 miles, it's acting up again. Better now than at 201,000 Miles !

(Isn't it odd that I had it serviced at 93761 Miles and now here I am almost exactly double that ?)

QuoteReply
triskashane
post Jan 21 2011, 03:23 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 82,532
Drives: volvo 2010

Just talked to Volvo in Ocala they said this was needed even though the throttle body had been replaced. They said that they are in the 200's and I had them check my VIN, just to be sure, and they said that I am up to date on the car recalls.

This post has been edited by triskashane: Sep 6 2013, 01:24 AM

QuoteReply
volvotech06
post Feb 2 2011, 06:20 PM
Post #20

Senior

Member No.: 19,404
Drives: 1978 volvo 242GT and 92 940 turbo

Everyone pay attention here so I can clear this mess up! Volvo did extend the ETM warranty for 10 years or 200,000 miles, whichever comes first. The 10 year clock starts from the vehicle's "in service date," or the exact day it was sold new. The affected vehicles started in 1999 up to early 2002 S70,V70,XC70,S60 & S80. Just because your ETS light is on and your car runs like s*#t doesn't mean that we "technicians" can replace it under the warranty. Volvo wants very specific DTC's and the ETM also has to fail a throttle sweep test that they developed in there diagnostic computers at the dealers. They must fail by more than 13 degrees, NO LESS. If it does not fail then volvo will not allow us to replace them. Trust me, I know this is BS but in this case volvo does have our hands tied. If a ETM is replaced without the proper information submitted then the dealership will be billed back for the entire job!! If your ETM is out of warranty or has failed there is a much better replacement option. Go to fixyouretm.com. A company called XeMODeX will rebuild your ETM with improved parts and give it a lifetime warranty for $600, even less than a new volvo unit with only a 12 month warranty. Hope this helps! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/57.gif)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2006) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsThrottle Body Mod
960 throttle plate
2 umpgotti 843 19th July 2013 - 09:24 PM
Last post by: Kiss4aFrog
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsBody Dimensions
Looking for the exact dimensions of the rear of the car (body shops)
1 enorman 371 9th April 2013 - 11:40 AM
Last post by: partsman2
No New Posts Throttle Response Delay
3 Gnrl_lee 1,582 13th February 2013 - 01:00 PM
Last post by: Vermont
No New Posts Body Creaking/squeaking
...when turning and going down a ramp
2 XCRio 846 13th January 2013 - 02:01 PM
Last post by: XCRio
No New Posts Throttle Body Help
Software upgrade on a used ETM
2 Lowest-Bidder 2,317 15th January 2012 - 08:14 PM
Last post by: Matt S

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 06:35 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement