Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Volvo Xc90 Tire Recommendation
bradnight
post Feb 8 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,258
Drives: 2004 xc90

I am looking for new tires for my XC90. The Michelin P235/60R18, Pilot HXMXM4 only lasted for 24k miles, cost to replace has been quoted at $267 per tire. So I am looking for something more "economical". I live in the bay area, which means it is city driving, with some rain, but no snow or ice. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thx,

Brad
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
jonathan1280
post Feb 9 2006, 12:40 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,314
Drives: 2005 Volvo XC 90 2.5T AWD

Hi Brad

While we live in different parts of the country and our tire requirements are not the same, I was quite overwhelmed by the number of choices that were available for my 2005 2.5T XC90. I read what I could and talked to whomever I could to get some recommendations, but for my needs in the mountains, I knew I needed a snow specific tire.

I called the Tire Rack (TireRack.com) and spent some time with one of their salespeople. Extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and no pressure to buy. They recommended the Bilzzak DMZ3 tires for my Volvo. Their website is quite extensive and full of valuable information.

I purchased 4 Blizzak DMZ3 winter tires and I am very impressed with their performance. We have over 25 feet of snow this year and the roads are snowy and full of ice. These tires have incredible holding and stopping ability. Its been a very snowy winter in the Colorado high country and these new tires have far exceeded my expectations.

It might be worthwhile to talk to the knowledgable folks at the Tire Rack.

Jonathan

QuoteReply
volvomom
post Feb 22 2006, 08:22 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,891
Drives: 2005 volvo xc90

HELP!!!!!

Is there anyone out there who shares my problem with tires on the xc90? I have a 2005 with 14,000 miles. The michelins on my car are worn out COMPLETELY on the outer edges on ALL 4 tires exactly the same way. The tire store that I took my car to ADAMENTLY insisted that I take the car back to Volvo and have them replace these tires for free because of unusual way these tires have worn.

At first Volvo told me that my tires must be misaligned...and that the Volvo has a unique way of compensating for misalignment by using the outer edges of the remaining tires. That explanation sounded ridiculous. Later they said that my alignment was perfect and that it was just normal wear and tear.

I believe that this car must have a design defect if after only 14,000 with mainly highway miles, on brand new Michelins, the outer edges wear down to the point of replacement.

Is anyone out there having the same experience? I am meeting with a Volvo factory representative next week to discuss the problem.

Thanks p.s. I am in sunny southern california

QuoteReply
lippmansj
post May 18 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,855
Drives: 2005 XC90 2.5

I have the same problem. have they resolved?

QuoteReply
S60 R
post May 22 2006, 12:05 AM
Post #5

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 4,684
Drives: formerly 2005 S60R

If its only the outer edge of the tire, the alignment is off. If its the outer and inner edge of each tire, they are underinflated.

Also, I think Michelins are traditionally a softer compund, so they will wear faster.

QuoteReply
Mazz
post Jun 29 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16,522
Drives: 2005 XC 90 T6 AWD

Hi all, first post on this board.

I have a 2005 xc90 T6 AWD and seem to have wore out my tires....front drivers side in particular after 16k miles. I am in the process of speaking with the service manager at Volvo to discuss. I will let you know how it turns out. The car has been there 7 times and had a front brake job just recently, but no one at Volvo ever noticed the tire wear.

I would like to put on a tire ranked higher (by consumer reports) but have heard that if you don't put back OEM (i.e. Michelin 235x60xr18 HXMXM4). You could void the warranty. Can anyone confirm? thx

Rich

QuoteReply
augustmom
post Jun 29 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 16,542
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC 90

I own a 2003 Volvo XC 90 and have replaced my Michelin tires about every 15,000 miles. The wear is mostly on the outer edges of the tires. The dealer has refused to replace them for free. I am now wondering if this is related to the defective tie rods that were recalled recently.

QuoteReply
midlife
post Jun 29 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 16,544
Drives: 2003 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD

Wow, our XC90 also has the tires worn on the outer edge. Another XC90 being droped for service yesterday has the same wear. I would be interested to find out if anyone has any luck with getting the dealer to replace these.

QuoteReply
Mazz
post Jun 30 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 16,522
Drives: 2005 XC 90 T6 AWD

As an update, after speaking to the service manager, I came up empty on any help from Volvo on this. He pretty much blamed the premature wear on soft tires. The Michelin "V" series tire is designed for high speeds which wows the car magazines, and brings people in to buy the car. Unfortunately, the 99% of us consumers who choose not to drive the car over 100mph unwittingly pay a high price with frequent tire changes.

The sales manager was not aware of any warranty stipulations that say you need to stay with the OEM tire and said people who have replaced the "V" series tire with a "H" series were getting 35k. Of course you need to replace all 4 tires at the same time or the AWD will go haywire and could cause damage. He did a lookup on the computer for replacement tires and all were 235/60/R18 and you would need to stay with a load rating of at least 102, but other than that other tires are fair game.

Consumer reports last ranking for SUV tires was in Aug 2004...anyone have a more recent ranking for SUV tires?

Rich

QuoteReply
actonma
post Jul 16 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 17,282
Drives: 2006 XC90

We have 12,500 miles on our 2006. Right front tire is at 2/32 (Legally bald) and others 3/32 -- with the front tires worn on the outside and the rear tires wearing on the inside.

Our dealer, Lee Volvo, says alignment is fine and doesn't see reason for concern....but two local tire dealers both say the car has an alignment problem and until we fix that there is no point in replacing the tires. But Volvo checked the alignment last week (or that's what they want me to think....) so not sure what to do next....

QuoteReply
actonma
post Jul 25 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,282
Drives: 2006 XC90

An update

Volvo replaced all 4 tires and the rear wheel bearings at their expense. I had to get Volvo corporate invovled because the dealer wasn't responsive and still worry that we haven't addressed the root cause (e.g. The dealer says no but I still wonder if the tire wear and wheel bearings were the result of something else....)

QuoteReply
Drod
post Aug 7 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 18,416
Drives: Volvo 850

Hi folks,
I live in Maine, and winters suck here... we have fours season, Fall Winter, Mud, and Pot Hole... I own and 850, however, I'm looking to buy a new Volvo haven't decided on which model. The Dealership nearby's service department said that the XC90's go through tires quickly because ov the wieght, as well as the manufacturer reccommends performance tires which will burn up quick... I might try a tire that that has 80K mile warranty on it.. Don't get frustrated with the tires or that problems of you car.. the problem is that CAR...

QuoteReply
spclkj
post Aug 9 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 18,275
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD and 2004 Volvo V 70 2.5T

I'm a newbie and I have to say I was driven to this forum in search of a solution to the tire (235/60/18) issues on with my 2004 XC90 T6 AWD.
The winter weather in WI warrants a tire with decent traction in snow, but the most of the year I putting highway miles on the vehicle. Even light snow humbles the OEM Michellins, but my dealer cautions against using H-rated (snow or all-season) tires or any sort of Pirelli rubber (calls them "disposable") on the truck.
With no other options available, I'm reluctantly putting Michellins ($225) back on truck tomorrow -- plus an alignment job to rid the outer edge wear on both right side tires. I'm also going to bring the truck in for 30K service -- any recalls or bulletins regarding the tie rod issue mentioned above?
Thanks for the helpful insights -- here's hoping another tire manufacturer steps to the plate with better all-season rubber… I'd gladly pay $250 for a HydroEdge with a 50-60K warranty!javascript:emoticon(':liebe011:')

QuoteReply
Bullit
post Aug 9 2006, 01:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,534
Drives: 2007 XC90 V8

I just traded my 2004 VW Touareg V8 for a 2007 XC90. The following link

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1769243

is on the Touareg forum discussing Nokian WR AWP's. Touaregs would also go through the OE Dunlops in under 20k. The Nokian's are V speed rated all season with a 50k mile guarantee. These tires also have the severe duty emblem for snow (they've pulled me through 14" of new snow). These had 22k on them when I traded and still over half the original tread. You can see them at :

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=17

Great riding, handling and all around tire. 500 AA UTQG rating

QuoteReply
spclkj
post Aug 10 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 18,275
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC 90 T6 AWD and 2004 Volvo V 70 2.5T

Thanks a bunch, bullit -- did a little research on Nokian Tyres (BTW, these didn't come up on tirerack.com) and looks like they trump the Michelins I have on order. Not many folks have these available locally, but the specs and literature alone have me ready to put in a change order ASAP. I don't gamble, but these sure seem like a far better setup than the OEM rubber.

Again, thanks so much for the tip!

p.s. I'll let you know how it goes -- headed to the shop in the a.m.

QuoteReply
Login:jonpom
post Aug 17 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,401
Drives: 2006 Volvo XC90 T5 AWD

QUOTE(actonma @ Jul 25 2006, 06:13 PM)
An update

Volvo replaced all 4 tires and the rear wheel bearings at their expense.  I had to get Volvo corporate invovled because the dealer wasn't responsive and still worry that we haven't addressed the root cause (e.g.  The dealer says no but I still wonder if the tire wear and wheel bearings were the result of something else....)
[right][snapback]36998[/snapback][/right]

We are experiencing a similar problem, with similar resistance from the dealer. Who at Volvo did you contact (and at what tele #)?

QuoteReply
XC90-R 2009 Grif...
post Dec 5 2009, 04:10 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 65,577
Drives: 2009 Volvo XC90-R

Hello form i have a volvo xc90-r that i bought new in 2009 jan and have had TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO COUNT. WHAT A PIECE OF $H!T. well i have had the same problem you are having with the tires wearing out on the outer edges and i have gone to 2 dealerships wear they say it is just normal. WHAT A CROCK OF $H!T. i called up the tire compnay and they admited that volvo has a flaw in there aligments and replaced my tire under good customer service. my tires were perrelli scorpion zero's zr 19 and they were at the wear bars at 4500miles(finished). i did some research and had the front end allignment retowed and the back and i beleive this fixed the problem. originally volvo has the tow in the front set to like -.25 and the back to like -.06 and i had them both match to -.06 and i have not seen the problem come back. knock on wood. i love my truck it is electric silver 3.2 with black interior. i stayed with perrelli tires and hope to work with others to find better things to improve the xc90. the master mechanic at the dealership said to me that the alligment should be set to the way the car is driven not to the original settings.this was after i told them perrelli stated what they did.. TRUTH COMES OUT... so at the original tow the tires on the front and the rear are V'ed out with the open to the front and this is what causes the tire to wear out on the outer edges and the same on the back.if you notice this is also why your xc90 slows down quick tooo(YOU LET OFF THE GAS AND IT IS LIKE THE BRAKES ARE APPLIED, WITH NO FOOT ON BRAKE)check it out.. hope this helps some people.. questions look me up at griff842000@yahoo.com...

QuoteReply
Deeks
post Dec 9 2009, 09:46 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 64,680
Drives: Volvo Tech

QUOTE (XC90-R 2009 Griffith @ Dec 5 2009, 01:10 AM)
Hello form i have a volvo xc90-r that i bought new in 2009 jan and have had TOO MANY PROBLEMS TO COUNT. WHAT A PIECE OF $H!T. well i have had the same problem you are having with the tires wearing out on the outer edges and i have gone to 2 dealerships wear they say it is just normal. WHAT A CROCK OF $H!T. i called up the tire compnay and they admited that volvo has a flaw in there aligments and replaced my tire under good customer service. my tires were perrelli scorpion zero's zr 19 and they were at the wear bars at 4500miles(finished). i did some research and had the front end allignment retowed and the back and i beleive this fixed the problem. originally volvo has the tow in the front set to like -.25 and the back to like -.06 and i had them both match to -.06 and i have not seen the problem come back. knock on wood. i love my truck it is electric silver 3.2 with black interior. i stayed with perrelli tires and hope to work with others to find better things to improve the xc90. the master mechanic at the dealership said to me that the alligment should be set to the way the car is driven not to the original settings.this was after i told them perrelli stated what they did.. TRUTH COMES OUT... so at the original tow the tires on the front and the rear are V'ed out with the open to the front and this is what causes the tire to wear out on the outer edges and the same on the back.if you notice this is also why your xc90 slows down quick tooo(YOU LET OFF THE GAS AND IT IS LIKE THE BRAKES ARE APPLIED, WITH NO FOOT ON BRAKE)check it out.. hope this helps some people.. questions look me up at griff842000@yahoo.com...

Unfortunately your dead wrong on the de-acceleration issue ....somewhere around the 05-06 MY we have the transmission drop out of lockup if it see's no brakes applied and no throttle applied after a short time as too many people complained that the vehicles rolled to easily on the highway and they were having to constantly brake thus resulting in premature wear of the brake pads. Also in town the transmission will not go into 5th or 6th gear (depending on model) for the same reason. This will give you intense engine braking .. GM also had the same complaints for years and took the same course of action. We tried to give you great fuel economy but to get one you have to give up another.

As far as your tire wear goes ......you have purchased a R-Design model and your selling dealer removed from the left side window a wonderfully informative decal (that also said Not To Be Removed Till Costumer Takes Delivery) that warns of the very short tire life due to the performance type tire installed on the R's. On a S60/V70 R with P6 Perrelli's the label tells you that tire life may be less that 18,000 miles and that is about what they get or less with aggressive driving. The MY 05- C70 (also uses Zero's although I've noticed some newer MY's have Michelin's) gets about (worst case) 12,500miles a set and seeing that you have a XC-90 which has a much higher GVW than a C-70 or P2 'R' type and since you appear to be so smart I'm sure you can do the math on how long your set of tires will last with aggressive driving.

There is nothing wrong with the alignment specifications we publish but more likely something wrong with the equipment or the operator ....you know ....don't blame the tools blame the user. I see XC-90's day in and day out and as long as tires are rotated on schedule and excluding:
1) the outer tie rods are worn or
2) the rear stay bars are bent or
3) your driving like a complete a-hole
they DO NOT wear tires out on the inner or outer edges.

Any one will tell you exactly what you want to hear or what they need to tell you to appear like they are God's gift to this world so believe what you want but I'm giving the straight goods as I have no financial interest what so ever in you or your vehicle. The XC series has been and still is a top seller for Volvo Cars so please if you are so displeased with your's then sell it and move on to another brand but to save you the time I'll tell you this .....unless you are paying $120,000.00 + for a vehicle these days they are all over engineered and produced with substandard electronics because accountants are running the auto business these days not Henry Ford and the bottom line is their interest not you.

QuoteReply
gjay
post Dec 13 2009, 04:10 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 65,684
Drives: XC90

I have an 2008 XC90 with 19,500Km and the Dealer said the front two tires are worn. I have the Michelin 235/65 17 and use only for City driving in Australia

I am surprised that the tires wear at 19,500 KN. Anyone else experience the same problem and ideas on what I should replace them with.

QuoteReply
xc90Robyn
post Dec 17 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 66,207
Drives: 2006 XC 90 V8 AWD

QUOTE (gjay @ Dec 13 2009, 03:10 AM)
I have an 2008 XC90 with 19,500Km and the Dealer said the front two tires are worn. I have the Michelin 235/65 17 and use only for City driving in Australia

I am surprised that the tires wear at 19,500 KN. Anyone else experience the same problem and ideas on what I should replace them with.

I just replaced the tires on my 2006 xc90 v8 AWD with Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires from tirerack.com. They were highly rated so I thought I would give them a try. It's only been 10 days, but the difference between those and the Michelin OEM's is noticeable. The Yokohama tires are much quieter, and even though they are all-season tires, have handled well in the snow, ice and sleet we've had so far this December! I haven't seen anyone else on the forums who has tried these tires, but they are recommended! (Mine are 235 60R 18)

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo XC90 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Volvo Show On April 6th, Davis, Ca
1 GROM Audio 63 7th April 2014 - 06:16 PM
Last post by: GROM Audio
No New Posts Volvo Satisfaction Down Under
Happy Owner in Oz
0 Platypup 42 1st April 2014 - 10:32 PM
Last post by: Platypup
No New Posts Volvo Parts - Australia
2 voluto.com.au 369 24th March 2014 - 09:11 PM
Last post by: voluto.com.au
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsXc90 D5 Exec Sunroof Gps Dvd Towbar ++ Sale
An excellent package going cheap - Australia only
0 VIVA 73 18th March 2014 - 05:26 AM
Last post by: VIVA
No New Posts Xc90 For Sale
BRAND NEW RADIATOR, TIMINGBELT AND WATER PUMP
0 thexc90man 167 10th March 2014 - 03:24 PM
Last post by: thexc90man

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 03:10 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement