Volvo Owners Forum banner

Check Engine Light At 120k?

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ampangbear 
#1 ·
At 119500 miles or so, my check engine light started coming on. It only comes on at engine startup and only stays on for two minutes.

The car runs great and the car's been checked out twice in the last 6 months, so I'm fairly certain that it's just the routine 120,000 miles routine maintenance warning.

1. Is this routine scheduled maintenance warning light assumption correct?

2. If yes, how do I turn off the check engine light?

Thanks,
Chris

#2 ·
Haynes 850 manual, Chapter 12, mine shows it on page 12-5.

1. ignition on
2. insert "A" test lead in hold #7
3. press button 4 times, briefly but firmly
4. when LED stays lit you're ready

5. press button 1 time and release
6. wait for LED to light
7. press button 5 times
8. wait for LED to light
9. press button 1 time
10. LED should flash a bunch of times.

11. igntion off, replace test lead

12. engine light should be cleared

#3 ·
I'm afraid the answer given by Papa John refers to the Service Reminder light, no tthe Check Engine light. (I only know this because I just bought my '93 850 and both lights were on, and the 1-5-1 reset on the VDO only removes the Service Reminder light. The Check Engine light is on because the computer is registering a problem with the exhaust system. It senses that the CO values or another particulate may be above the legal limit. Your light is going out because after the engine wamrs up, the levels of the offending chemical in the exhaust drop to allowable levels. If you have emmissions testing in your area, be sure to take the vehicle in after it is wamred up...this is true of most vehicles, anyway.

I cleared my light by removing and cleaning the exhaust sensor. All is happy again.

#5 ·
Godfrey should be using OBD-II which is accessible from within the cabin.

You'd need to get the reader to read and delete the posts. The error light must be read at least ONCE, before it could be deleted.

#6 ·
As per Keefer's postings, you could try the easy ones first, without having the dealers check on them from the beginning.

Also check the hoses first, they may be loose or so...

#8 ·
I did indeed mean the SERVICE light all the way on the bottom right. My mistake, apologies for the confusion. I figured that the service light was just Volvo's version of "check engine"... until I looked closely at my dash on start up and saw that there is a seperate check engine light.

Like I said before, car runs great and is well maintained, so it's gotta be a mileage thing

#9 ·
The SERVICE light is just a reminder, and as you guessed it, based on mileage. TO have it turned on, either get one of those things off ebay (as suggested by anthrax) or get the dealer to reset it for you.

(You CAN ask the dealer to prolong the mileage or shorten it, of course. Up to your preference...)

#10 ·
QUOTE(ampangbear @ Feb 2 2006, 10:32 PM)The SERVICE light is just a reminder, and as you guessed it, based on mileage. TO have it turned on, either get one of those things off ebay (as suggested by anthrax) or get the dealer to reset it for you.

(You CAN ask the dealer to prolong the mileage or shorten it, of course. Up to your preference...)

[snapback]23522[/snapback]​

its n xntrx as in n= an x=ecc n=en t=t r=r x=ics.

#11 ·
QUOTE(n xntrx volvo @ Feb 4 2006, 05:24 AM)its n xntrx as in n= an x=ecc n=en t=t r=r x=ics.
[snapback]23560[/snapback]​

An Eccentric Volvo...

I see....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.