Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Transmission Problems, 2000 S80
m_cough
post Jan 4 2006, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,373
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80

Hello

I am new to this forum, but from what i have read its seems to be pretty helpful and interesting. My problem mith my 2000 S80 is the transmission. I recently had my timing belt replaced, and two days after i had it done i got some bad news. My buddy's neighbor was the Volvo tech who worked on my car, and he was telling me to sell the car as soon as possible, because the transmission was going to fail in the next couple thousand miles.

I sat back and thought, well if i put about $5000 into replacing the transmission this car will still be the same price as a newer honda civic, and a lot funner to drive. So i am still thinking to just get it fixed, but i am worried about other problems that may come up, and how costly they will be.

I was hoping that someone out there could give me some advice on what i should do.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
OldGuy
post Jan 4 2006, 02:13 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 10,400
Drives: 1998 S90

Hmmm...... If you like the car, I'd suggest spending the money to have the tranny rebuilt. I believe you can have it done for around $3,000 if you shop around.

I recently had an S90 tranny rebuilt for $2800 (removed/overhauled/re-installed).

Also, how does he know the transmission is going to fail in the next couple thousand miles? Is it slipping under hard acceleration or having sluggish shifting? Have you had the transmission serviced lately (oil/filter change)?

Also, most of the transmission repair shops around Houston will test drive it for free (I'd recommend getting two opinions).

Good luck.

QuoteReply
m_cough
post Jan 4 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #3

Thank you for the advice, so far i have had one person tell me that he could rebuild it for $2350, and another one said to replace the filter and see if the noises go away.

There is no slipping going on, the only problem that i can tell is that when its in park it makes a noise, and it goes away when you put into gear. Then around 2nd or 3rd gear the noise comes back, but thats it.

QuoteReply
Auckland
post Jan 4 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #4

Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 2,310
Drives: 1999 S80

:cat: You are a Volvo owner. Do the noble thing. If you know it has a faulty transmission-fix it before you sell it. That is the measure of what separates you from other vehicle owners. You probably would be taking down another American if you knowingly sold it with a faulty transmission. Is that a noble thing to do? Would you like somebody else to do it to you?

Sorry to be sounding like Winston Churchchill-you are in a position which but for the grace of God goes every other Volvo owner.

Good Luck

Cheers

QuoteReply
mikeys
post Jan 7 2006, 01:51 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10,192
Drives: 2000 Volvo S80 T6(mine), 1998 Volvo S70(wifes)

If the transmission is indeed going, just go get a flush and fluid change, $150. If it helps, wow you just saved yourself $3K, if it doesn't I would just drive it tell is really started giving you serious troubles insteed of just noises. What do you have to loose? Good luck. Keep us posted and let us know how everything turns out. :)

QuoteReply
Frustrated_S80_O...
post Jan 8 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,541
Drives: 1999 Volvo S80 2.9

My tranny went about 7 months ago in my 1999 S80. Original tranny lasted around 200,000K, which is pretty good. Volvo quoted me around $4,000 to replace with a rebuit S80 tranny (apparently the dealerships don't fix anything, they just replace whatever the computer tells them to replace). I went to a tranny shop and had the transmission re-built for around $2,500 (CAD), including a 3 year 60K nation wide warranty. Sounds pretty good so far eh...

Prior to having my tranny replace (probably 6-8 months earlier) I started having intermittent problems with the ABS/TCS light coming on. It was diagnosed as the ABS/Trac module, which was a know fault with these vehicles.

Recently everything electonic has started acting up. Dashboard lighting up like a Christmas tree. I took the car to the dealer and he said it is all related to this module. I figured since I put the money in the tranny...may as well spend the $1,200 on the new module, thinking after this my car will be in great shape. Fat chance...Volvo is still trying to figure out what is causing all of the numerous and bizzare intermittent electrical problems.

I have spend around $6,000 so far on this car this year....and at this point it looks like the car is worth scrap value.

I support the noble idea about fixing the tranny before getting rid of the vehicle, but the reality is that Volvo should do the noble thing first and recall these pieces of junk to fix all the other design flaws first.

My advice...think twice before sinking anything into it.

QuoteReply
mikeys
post Jan 8 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #7

Frustrated Volvo S80 Owner Quote----------------------------------------------------
"Prior to having my tranny replace (probably 6-8 months earlier) I started having intermittent problems with the ABS/TCS light coming on.  It was diagnosed as the ABS/Trac module, which was a know fault with these vehicles. 

I have spend around $6,000 so far on this car this year....and at this point it looks like the car is worth scrap value. 

My advice...think twice before sinking anything into it."
[right][snapback]21765[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]Boy you really must like spending your money! I had my ABS module rebuilt by Victor for $130. It was causing all kinds of lights to come on, check engine, ABS, Traction control, Amber traingle, and a message that read "Brake failure, stop ASAP". All of this because of a faulty ABS module. I read on other Volvo forums about Victor and went for it. Put it back in and "POOF" all the warning lights were gone. Sorry your car sucks! :thumbsup:

QuoteReply
Frustrated_S80_O...
post Jan 9 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,541
Drives: 1999 Volvo S80 2.9

Believe me I don't like spending money. The problem is that if you don't stay with a dealership Volvo tries to wash there hands of the issues. I had my tranny done with Mr. Transmission (a national good aftermarket repair shop) and now they are implying that this is the cause of my issues.

Just a big catch 22.

QuoteReply
m_cough
post Jan 9 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #9

:thumbsup: I have decided to get the transmission flushed and serviced. I bet that it will help the life of this tranny. I will let you all know what happens.

QuoteReply
mikeys
post Jan 10 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #10

Good thinking!!

QuoteReply
mikeys
post Jan 10 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(Frustrated_S80_Owner @ Jan 9 2006, 11:13 AM)
I had my tranny done with Mr. Transmission (a national good aftermarket repair shop) and now they are implying that this is the cause of my issues.

Just a big catch 22.
[right][snapback]21818[/snapback][/right]
Of course they are. This happen with all dealers, it's just their way of saying "nany nany booboo". Keep hop alive. But I can't say I blame you for being frustrated, that is a lot of money to sink in any car for just repairs.

QuoteReply
n xntrx volvo
post Jan 10 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #12

Senior

Member No.: 10,608
Drives: 98 s70, 88 780, 87 240 penta 16v+t

if it doesnt work, and you're going to have it rebuilt, take it to a gm tranny builder. the tranny is sim to the one on northstar engines. have them beef the sucker up using mixed parts. known many people with s80's on their 3-4th tranny.

QuoteReply
LEONG
post Jan 15 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,601
Drives: Volvo S80

My S80 transmission may have some problems. When I drive slowly (< 20km/h) and brake, the transmission sounds like gears slipping and the car would vibrate as though the gears are rubbing against one another. This happens infrequently. This will not happen when I brake at higher speed.

Also my ABS/TCS failure indicators are on n off intermittently. I am interested in the 'Victor' rebuilt units. Are they available in Asia?

Thanks in advance for your help.

QuoteReply
mikeys
post Jan 19 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(LEONG @ Jan 15 2006, 01:33 AM)
Also my ABS/TCS failure indicators are on n off intermittently.  I am interested in the 'Victor' rebuilt units.  Are they available in Asia?

Thanks in advance for your help.
[right][snapback]22142[/snapback][/right]

I know Victor does buisness with customers all aroung the world. It's pretty easy to do, he gives easy instructions on how to send in your ABS module. You can still drive with your ABS module out, if your ABS light is on it means your ABS isn't working anyway. I'm not sure of his website but it can be found on the Volvospeed forum. Good luck!

QuoteReply
graemem
post Mar 19 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 12,508
Drives: Volvo S80 T6

Here it is

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/Volvo_...lvo_V70_ABS.htm

QuoteReply
PadraigOBifuel
post Apr 5 2006, 06:41 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,303
Drives: 2003 Volvo S80 Bifuel, 1968 Volkswagen 1500 Beetle

You guys are scaring the crap out of me, throwing out figures like $3000 etc. I'm into the second month of my late 2002 S80 Bifuel (manual). Are your transmissions manual or automatic? just put my mind at rest please.

QuoteReply
m_cough
post Apr 5 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #17

I finally had my transmission rebuilt, and so far so good. It did end up costing me $2900, and they tried to get $3500 after starting out at $2500. The mechanic said that these transmissions are from GM and he has seen them come in with only 40,000 miles on them. Just thought i would let you all know.

Now its on to the O2 sensors!

QuoteReply
gmc
post Aug 17 2008, 02:24 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 10,306
Drives: 1999 Volvo S80

Had my tranny fluid & filter changed at a mister transmission - they said I shouldnt even drive my car home the tranny was in such bad shape.They recommended I have them rebuild it a soon as possible.
Put over 12,000 miles on it since...still havent had it rebuilt ...tranny works great.
Just cause its a national chain doesnt mean their honest

QuoteReply
phillyfan412
post Aug 19 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 47,105

Hello I am new here and bought a 2000 S80 3 weeks ago with 75,000 miles on it. It's form a trust-worthy dealer that I have family connections with so I wasn't very worried about getting ripped off, but I have noticed a few issues, the most concerning being the transmission. Somebody in this thread (I know it's more than 2 years old) mention the trans slipping at high accelerations and that is exactly what mine does. At about 4,000 RPM and up it slips. Is it urgent enough that I should take it in right away or should I wait until my next oil change. Also, would this be covered under a basic 3 month warranty? Any answers would be greatly appreciated as I need to decide what my next move will be.

QuoteReply
firewire1
post Aug 21 2008, 08:59 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 47,145
Drives: na

Call the dealer as soon as possible. If you do have a trans problem it might be concidered a lemon in your state. Also this type of problem should be covered

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1998-2006) S80 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsProblems With Dashboard Air Ducts
One has a fin loose and the other has foam and a yellow-white thing
0 qwertie64982 68 28th August 2014 - 05:07 PM
Last post by: qwertie64982
No New Posts Transmission Issue (error Code Tcm002c)
Volvo S80 2.0 Turbo
5 sonic3 1,163 26th November 2013 - 07:25 PM
Last post by: pkrface
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsTransmission Problems With My First 240
2 245buster 667 17th July 2013 - 11:10 AM
Last post by: SykO
No New Posts Transmission Interchange?
What transmissions can be made to work in a 2002 v70xc?
1 rickn540 1,714 17th April 2013 - 07:30 PM
Last post by: sailor1065
No New Posts Problems With Grom Usb2-plus
Startup problems
0 Emil889 1,119 3rd February 2013 - 11:53 AM
Last post by: Emil889

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 23rd September 2014 - 01:19 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement