Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Removing The Dash Pad To Replace Speedo Bulbs.
Tech
post Dec 11 2005, 10:15 AM
Post #1

Volvo Guru !
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 1,295
Drives: Mustang,1995 Yellow T5-R,1996 850 Trubo

The Very first thing you will need to do is disconnect the battery. Make sure you have your radio code. If not get it from the Dealer.

First start on the drivers side by removeing the the little round cap in the end of the dash.It is by the door on the end of the dash. Then remove the screw under the cap and remove the cover. Then you will see another screw that goes into the body by the windsheild. Next remove the speaker cover then the speaker. Push in the center of the clip one click then remove the clip. Next remove all the Vents by carefully prying them from the side of the vent in the middle.Then remove all the screws in the top of the vent holes.And remove the 2 screws in the hole by the speedo cluster. Next move to the passenger side.Remove the speaker cover and speaker on the passenger side.There is also a screw that will need to be removed. Next you will need to remove the glovebox insert.remove all the torxes screws around the insert. Then remove the door arms.There is a little hole in the door to slide a small screwdriver into to help remove the are. Then you need to remove the 4 10mm screw that go across the top of the glove box area.They screw into the Air bag. Remove the plug for the Air bag. Then the entire top part of the dash should come off. Then you can unlatch the speedo assembly and remove it. If it is a turbo you will need to remove a vaccum hose from the back of the speedo cluster if it has a turbo guage.

Then you can replace all the bulbs.
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jan 18 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #2

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3,464
Drives: 1996 Volvo 855 T5 FWD, 1989 Honda Civic 2-Door FWD

If you have super skinny or just skinny hands, you could also work your way up from under the dashboard near the steering.

Remove all the three screws and carefully pry the under-dash cover out. Most of the stuff in there would consist of wires and modules etc, so be careful. Don't force pull anything, either let them drop hanging by the wires (don't worry, they won't normally slip or tear) or just wiggle your way upwards. Keep on moving upwards until you can feel the bulb-butts.

Note however, not all the bulbs are replaceable this way. It may need a few tries before you are able to 'master' your way in the dark like a blind person like that.

Advantage:
No need to detach the dashboard and risk rattling noises. :)

Caution:
When re-screwing back, don't over-screw as the plastic cover might break.

:)

QuoteReply
architerp
post Feb 12 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,799
Drives: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT

Two stupid questions, one bulb related - one not.. Firstly, I had posted this before, but how much of a pain in the butt is it to replace the bulb for the climate control? I spoke with a dealership, and they had mentioned about 300 to replace that and the one for my gear indicator. That ain't happening. Could I just remove my stereo and reach up to fix the bulb? The gear indicator seems a lot easier since looking at the pictures to remove the center console (thanks for that). Secondly, does anyone know about the aftermarket wood dash kits? I want to get one, they seem easy enough to install, but I'm not sure which ones would look the best - as far as manufacturers. I wanted the platinum burl wood.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Feb 12 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #4

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

Architerp,

Changing the bulbs may be quite straight-forward, but you must be very patient with it. Someone has been kind enough to supply me with photos on this, and once I can find them, i'll put the photos up...

As for the wood dash kits, you will need to check online for it....

QuoteReply
architerp
post Feb 19 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #5

Yeah, I found out I just have to slide out the climate control and replace the bulb. Just need to get the bulbs and have a Saturday to screw around with it (the patience is implied). What kind of bulbs are they - just those typical skinny little 12 volt ones? I got a diagram from the Volvo dealership, but if you have pictures - that would be wicked awesome. I'll post up the wood dash in another topic on the forum - I'll probably wait until the summer to install it that anyway. Thanks for the help.

QuoteReply
architerp
post Feb 24 2006, 05:29 PM
Post #6

OK...so I bought the bulbs from my local Volvo dealership. The shift selector seems straightforward enough, think I can handle that easily enough. But - how do I take the cover off of the climate control? I can slide it out of the dash, but I dont know how to actually get inside the housing to take out the malfunctioning bulb and replace it. I'm feel like an **** - I just want light! Ligggghhhttttt!!!!!

QuoteReply
Tech
post Feb 28 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #7

Volvo Guru !
Group Icon

Sorry I haven't changed any yet. But does it look like it opens?

QuoteReply
architerp
post Mar 5 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #8

Yeah....got the climate control opened...the back of it opens up with a few small screws. There's 3 bulbs....think there's something wrong with the circuitry, since all of them were out. I might get a replacement, and see if that makes a difference. I'm more mechanical than electrical, so I'd rather not mess around with it (or start dating an electrical engineer). The bulb for the shifter seems a lot easier, but i need a star wrench to get the cigarette lighter screws out. All in all, a learning experience, but I think I'll know how to fix it once I feel like getting around to it. I'll tackle it again when I can find a decent climate control replacement. Thanks a lot for the help. Now for the busted fog light...

QuoteReply
RLA
post Mar 11 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 12,822
Drives: 1997 Volvo 850 Sedan

Hey, where did you find the pics on how to replace the bulb for the gear indicator. Mine just went out a few weeks ago.

QuoteReply
Tech
post Mar 11 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Volvo Guru !
Group Icon

Sorry I don't have any pics.

QuoteReply
rmmagow
post Mar 12 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,744
Drives: 1998 Volvo V70R AWD

Now, mention was made in this post regarding snaking one hans up to replace the bulbs in the dash. The buld i need to replace are the abs, trac and maybe more that I don't know about. I did remove the kick panel undet hte dash and am now looking a a black netal grate like thing that has all kinds of SRS warning stickers. Can I safely remove this to attempt the snaking up to the dash trick. Sure don't want to blow the bag on this car although I'm getting a feeling this is probably missing too. Real POS this car. Once I get get the speedo and odo working again it's going to be sold for what I have in it or less.
Thanks for you help. Hopefully this car will be gone from my life shortly.

QuoteReply
Tech
post Mar 13 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #12

Volvo Guru !
Group Icon

Yes you can remove the Knee Bolster but might not give you enough room.

QuoteReply
architerp
post Mar 20 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #13

Here's where I found it....the bulb ($10 at the dealership) is behind that white flap under the shifter. If I remember correctly, it flips down. You'll need a star wrench to get some of the screws out.

http://www.volvo-forums.com/t6034-removing...e-with-pics.htm

QuoteReply
wi4r
post Aug 31 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 32,012
Drives: 1995 850 turbo wagon

I recently replaced all the bulbs in the center console. I think there is one for the backseat ashtray, the front ash tray, the lighter, some of the switches and the gear indicator. The whole job took about 30 minutes. I haven't started on the instrument panel bulbs yet.

QuoteReply
blakbyrd
post Jan 14 2008, 04:28 PM
Post #15

Senior

Member No.: 36,827
Drives: 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon

QUOTE(Tech @ Dec 11 2005, 11:15 AM)
Then you need to remove the 4 10mm screw that go across the top of the glove box area.They screw into the Air bag. Remove the plug for the Air bag. Then the entire top part of the dash should come off. [right][snapback]20390[/snapback][/right]

Just an added note hear, as I just did this whole process yesterday on my 1995 850 Volvo to replace some bulbs and fix my odometer.

After removing the 4 air bag bolts and disconnecting the plug to the air bag, there is also a plastic cable clamp holding theairbag end of the wire that holds the wire to part of the dash framework (the framework does not come out with the dash cover). A small pair pliers can release this clamp easily as it just snaps into a hole in the framework.

I havent seen this mentioned in any instructions and it isnt included in Chilton's guides. Maybe this clip doesnt exist in some Volvo, but it does in mine. Because of the short length of the cable at this point, it can make removing the dash cover seem like the air bag assembly is just snagging on something or not lifted up enough to get out. Yanking on it can cause damage to the connection directly on the airbag if this small clip is not undone, as it will yank directly at the connecting point of what appears to be the electric "primer" for setting off the airbag. So, just double check that you do or do not have such a clip holding the wire. you can feel the wire from the airbag to the plug (its only about 10 inches long) and see if there is a clip there.

QuoteReply
tbkeen
post May 21 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,889
Drives: 1997 850

I have successfully replaced instrument cluster bulbs twice ...removing the dash top. What I don't see mentioned in this post is to NOT reconnect the battery/start engine until the passenger airbag is reconnected. I drove my 850 with the dash top out (ie pax airbag not connected). It was not a surprise that the SRS light stayed on. Unfortunately, once the SRS fault code is set, the SRS will stay on after the airbag is reconnected. The normal OBDII scanners cannot clear the SRS fault code...they can't even see the SRS fault. Very few independent repair shops can clear SRS fault code.

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post May 21 2008, 07:57 PM
Post #17

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

So, ina way LUCKY to those without a passenger airbag, eh?
:)

QuoteReply
TacklaNHL
post Jun 24 2008, 10:56 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 36,712
Drives: Volvo 850 GLT Wagon 2.4L 5-Cylinder

QUOTE(architerp @ Feb 24 2006, 04:29 PM)
OK...so I bought the bulbs from my local Volvo dealership.  The shift selector seems straightforward enough, think I can handle that easily enough.  But - how do I take the cover off of the climate control?  I can slide it out of the dash, but I dont know how to actually get inside the housing to take out the malfunctioning bulb and replace it.  I'm feel like an **** - I just want light!  Ligggghhhttttt!!!!!
[right][snapback]25185[/snapback][/right]

ANY IDEA WHAT PART NUMBER THAT IS FOR THE SHIFT SELECTOR LIGHT?

QuoteReply
ampangbear
post Jun 29 2008, 04:10 AM
Post #19

Expert Veteran
Group Icon

TacklaNHL,

Run a search on the forum. I've posted the bulb part numbers and photos on how they look like there.

QuoteReply
swedseed850
post Jul 23 2008, 02:17 AM
Post #20

Expert

Member No.: 42,436
Drives: 1994 volvo 850 turbo

OK.. i dont know if this is late, you do have to take the box apart, this can be done on the coffee table while watching barney with the kids..... but im at the point wher im rutinely tapping the dash to light up some of the dash lights, i want to put the el-glow gauges in if i have to do allthat dash crap, or i would have time to try the snake hands thing... :huh:

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo 850 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Replacement Tires ?
Looking for new tires
2 supero 192 12th August 2014 - 07:05 PM
Last post by: supero
No new Topic has attachmentsDashboard Problems
Dashboard Problems
113 darrendaly 153,150 9th July 2014 - 02:37 PM
Last post by: JaseMan
No New Posts Dash Problems
1 Boff 274 23rd April 2014 - 08:33 AM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Torque Converter Lockup
5 williala 597 1st April 2014 - 11:51 PM
Last post by: williala
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsThe Modified Volvo Thread
Pics of the best modded swedes
4 benaaron87 604 21st February 2014 - 01:25 AM
Last post by: TylerFunnell

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 04:06 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement