Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> S40 Alarm
Realist
post Sep 27 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,311
Drives: Volvo S40 SE 1.8i

Hi all,

When I set my alarm on my S40, the little light on the speaker does not flash. Can this be disabled or do I have to do something to get it to work?
Also....

I sat inside my car today, pressed lock on the keyfob and the doors locked ok and the dead lock kicked in as well. I waited a while and moved about but the movement was not picked up by the internal sensors within the car.

Do I have a problem or missing something here.

Laters
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
Realist
post Sep 28 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #2

Humpty dumpty waiting for a reply :)

QuoteReply
Tech
post Sep 28 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Volvo Guru !
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 1,295
Drives: Mustang,1995 Yellow T5-R,1996 850 Trubo

The light might be bad.
Most of the cars don't have motion sensors.
Lock the car and leave the window open wait about 2 to 3 minutes and then reach in and pop the hood or open the door and see if the alarm goes off.

QuoteReply
jraymond03
post Sep 29 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 7,909
Drives: 2000 S40

Well Thank God the People aren't real ****, they left out motion sensors, in fact you can bump your S40 without it going off. The only way to set the alarm off is to break a window, try to open th trunk, hood or doors manually(generally from inside) or fiddle with the ignition switch. I Thank the people at volvo because if my car alarm went off when ever a motorcycle went by i'd probably put a shotgun under the hood and put it down. YAY SWEEDS

QuoteReply
Realist
post Sep 30 2005, 02:10 PM
Post #5

Thank you both.

Will test tomorrow now but shame about the light, can this be changed?

Laters

QuoteReply
Tech
post Sep 30 2005, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Volvo Guru !
Group Icon

Group: Super Mod
Member No.: 1,295
Drives: Mustang,1995 Yellow T5-R,1996 850 Trubo

I would think it can be replaced but it might be expensive.

I know the ones on the 850's and S70's are like $100.00 for the light but it is also a sensor.

QuoteReply
Black Beauty T4
post Oct 1 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #7

Veteran

Member No.: 6,813
Drives: 2002 Volvo V40 T4 2.0 Sport Lux

The LED units sometimes come up for sale on eBay.

You can normally see ultrasonic motion sensor(s) either in the roof lining, by the front interior lights I believe, or on the door pillars (can't go out & check mine as it's still at the dealer's being worked on after 9 days!).

If your car has a "reduced guard" button on the central console with an integral light on it (button has an outline of a car on it with three curves inside it, each curve like a smilie mouth), then it has cabin motion sensors and a tilt sensor on the alarm as well.

QuoteReply
Realist
post Oct 2 2005, 06:30 AM
Post #8

Hi M8,

Yes my car does have the ultrasonic sensors in the roof lining, one by the mirror and one at the rear passenger seats.

I also have the reduced guard button on the dash as well.

Shame the bloody light dont work, might take it out and change it if thats possible with a new LED from maplins.

laters

quote=Black Beauty T4,Oct 1 2005, 12:00 PM]
The LED units sometimes come up for sale on eBay.

You can normally see ultrasonic motion sensor(s) either in the roof lining, by the front interior lights I believe, or on the door pillars (can't go out & check mine as it's still at the dealer's being worked on after 9 days!).

If your car has a "reduced guard" button on the central console with an integral light on it (button has an outline of a car on it with three curves inside it, each curve like a smilie mouth), then it has cabin motion sensors and a tilt sensor on the alarm as well.
[right][snapback]16049[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

QuoteReply
Black Beauty T4
post Oct 2 2005, 01:57 PM
Post #9

Veteran

:57: Good luck finding a replacement LED - I just checked eBay, none listed at the moment but keep your eyes open, they do come up from time to time.

Not sure why you moving inside the car doesn't activate the alarm via the ultrasonic motion sensors. The whole point of the reduced guard button is that it enables you to alarm the doors/bonnet/boot whilst leaving a dog in the car (for a short period only & after taking usual humane precautions - before any dog lovers get upset!), by disabling the ultrasonic sensors. It also disables the tilt sensor, so that the alarm does not activate when, for instance, on a rolling/pitching ferry.

Once you have the LED up running, might be worth checking those sensors again, maybe by leaving a window open then leaning inside once the alarm is armed. Best of British :excl: :grin:

QuoteReply
Realist
post Oct 3 2005, 08:42 AM
Post #10

Thanks all.

Will try and leave a window down later and stick my head in and see what goes from that test.

Let ya all know.

Laters

QuoteReply
Black Beauty T4
post Oct 5 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #11

Veteran

So what happened when you tried to set off the ultrasonic sensors, Realist? :unsure:

QuoteReply
Realist
post Oct 6 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #12

Sorry M8 not tested it yet, busy and forgot :)

Do it asap M8 but thanks for the reminder.

QuoteReply
Realist
post Oct 10 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #13

Ok.

Wound window down and set the alarm, waited a bit and stuck my head in the window and bugger all happened?

Does the alarm system have a seperate fuse cos Im baffled why the thing dont work.

laters

QuoteReply
Black Beauty T4
post Oct 10 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #14

Veteran

:( :unsure: :hyper: Normally if the fuse(s) for the alarm & the siren blow then other things stop working like the central locking or the ECU, so I seriously doubt that the problem is caused by a blown fuse.

Varies from model to model, on my car fuses 8 & 9 (10Amps & 20Amps) in the engine bay are the culprits. If yours is the same then ensure that you know the radio code before pulling up the yellow transport fuse by hand & removing the fuses with the fuse tool (tool is kept inside the lid of of the interior fusebox under the driver's side dashboard).

If the alarm malfunctions then the LED usually flashes rapidly for 15 seconds (4 flashes per second) after the ignition is switched on, so first thing to do is get that LED replaced! Don't suppose that the previous owner disconnected the LED to disguise faulty alarm?

Will the car lock with the bonnet catch popped? If so, you might try locking the car, leaving it a minute & then opening the already popped bonnet to see whether the alarm activates. If it does then the contacts seem to be working OK.

One final check of the ultrasonic sensors might be to sit on the back seat, lock the doors with the keyfob to set the alarm then move around the back seat for a while to see whether the sensors pick you up & activate the alarm.

If all this fails then the alarm probably needs some tlc. Good luck with it :57: :beer: :grin:

QuoteReply
Realist
post Nov 16 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #15

Hi again,

Long delay in my reply yes but finally had time for a test.

Well, I had a bonnet catch problem and while I was there I kept the bonnet open and pressed the switch and set the alarm.

released the switch and the alarm sounded, so I presume the actual alarm works ok but the internam sensors and LEd still does not work.

Again, any ideas on this?

Laters

QuoteReply
Black Beauty T4
post Nov 16 2005, 03:39 PM
Post #16

Veteran

Hi again back, Realist!

I would check the connections to the LED & assuming they are OK (& small current present when alarm is set) then replace the LED. If the new LED then flashes rapidly as described in my post 10/10 you will know for sure there is a problem.

Next I would check each door contact & the tailgate contact in similar fashion to the bonnet check. If they are all OK then check current to both ultrasonic sensors & if a small current is present then yes, they are knackered but I would be very surprised if both ultrasonic sensors have failed at the same time.

Slow (& noisy) process of elimination but the alarm does do an automatic self-check when set & any fault is communicated via the LED, so you need to get the LED sorted first.

Good luck.

BB
:57: :grin:

QuoteReply
Realist
post Nov 18 2005, 10:08 AM
Post #17

Now I have to source a new LED or speaker.

Thanks M8, will let ya know how it goes.

laters

QuoteReply
*LT*
post Sep 24 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,916
Drives: 2000 Volvo S40 & 1993 480 Turbo

Hi all,

I know that this thread has been dormant for sometime but I was wondering if this problem was every resolved?

After activating the "reduced guard" option this weekend I have an identical problem on my S40 and its not the first time I have experienced it.

Last time I managed to reactivate the LED by playing about with a combination of lock's and unlocks using the keyfob and the "reduced guard" button. This time however no such luck.

According to the handbook the "reduced guard" should deactivate upon cycling the ignition but it would appear to be stuck on. The button will activate as per the manual but it will not respond on a second press to deactivate, hence once pressed the LED stays on constant until either 30 seconds has elapsed or you cycle the ignition.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Cheers,

*LT*

QuoteReply
Black Beauty T4
post Oct 1 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #19

Veteran

If still giving problems, I'd try to remove the reduced guard button & see whether the contact behind it is stuck in the "on" position.

BB
:)

QuoteReply
*LT*
post Oct 7 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,916
Drives: 2000 Volvo S40 & 1993 480 Turbo

Thanks for the advice BB,

The LED is back up and running again now, the problem seems to be linked to a dodgy bonet switch. In fact the whole bonnet catch is playing up for some unknown reason, not latching on fully and only partially locking etc...looking to replace the entire assembly as soon as I can source one.

Thanks,

LT

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest 1G (1995-2004) S40 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Alarm System
2 Grantgc 201 13th July 2014 - 12:42 PM
Last post by: Grantgc
No New Posts Topic has attachmentsS40 Electric Problem
0 frost 213 29th May 2014 - 01:09 AM
Last post by: frost
No New Posts S40 Oil Trap/pcv Repair
Anyone done this?
2 dfagan261 1,143 27th February 2014 - 09:01 AM
Last post by: mf70
No new Pinned: Topic has attachmentsS40 Ipod Connector - Encouraging Research
196 mcbtechnical 120,952 3rd January 2014 - 05:56 PM
Last post by: Gregoire
No New Posts S40 Boot
can not open any help please
0 nickcandlin 469 20th June 2013 - 12:49 PM
Last post by: nickcandlin

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:03 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement