Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> C70 Convertible, Transmission or Motormounts?
lyndsmar
post Jul 23 2013, 07:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 117,449
Drives: Tahoe

I have driven three c70's: a 2004, 2001, and 2003. The 2001 had 84K miles and when downshifting, a hard clunk occurred at 15-20MPH. On acceleration, it occurred at about 40-50MPH. The used car dealer believes it could be the transmission or motormounts. We opened the hood and saw the engine move dramatically when engaged the gear into drive, leading him to think it is the motormount. And, he has suggested giving me a powertrain warranty to cover the transmission if it is that.

He says all Volvo sedans drive 'clunky,' stating that they just don't shift smoothly like other European cars or Japanese cars. I feel like it is a major issue since the other C70s didn't have that.....they had other issues, like the roof whistling with only 55K miles on the 2004.

My question is: if this is the transmission, what is the expense to be expected? Have Volvo do this work or a transmission shop? The transmission in my Tahoe went out and I had a transmission shop to the work - have never had another issue and it is over 140K miles on this transmission now.

Thanks for your help!
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
mykael
post Jul 24 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #2

Senior

Group: Members
Member No.: 61,383
Drives: 200 Volvo C70 Convertible

If he's certain it's motor mounts see if he'll pay to get them replaced. You may find (some of) the cost will get added to what you end up paying for the car. If it fixes the issue, you're done...

I had some terrible vibration on my 2000 and it turned out to be because a couple of the straps holding the exhaust up at the front had come loose...might be worth checking. Lurched and shook like the engine way trying to exit the car sideways...
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo C70 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts C70 Sencor
ho 2s bank 1
3 mmroadshow 818 15th December 2013 - 09:51 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts C70 Vanity Mirror Lights
... let there be light..
1 VVLUX 910 13th December 2013 - 10:54 AM
Last post by: TheGreekMason
No New Posts C70 '00 Powerseat Vs Manual Seat Movement
0 VolvoEST 498 7th December 2013 - 02:14 PM
Last post by: VolvoEST
No New Posts C70 2.4 Petrol Tuning In The Uk Help Required Please
my 2006 petrol c70 needs more "oomph".
0 terrybiker 599 3rd October 2013 - 04:36 PM
Last post by: terrybiker
No new Topic has attachmentsC70 ELECTRIC SEAT
31 ifinlayson 15,084 26th September 2013 - 11:40 AM
Last post by: Aquaman__

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 08:20 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement