Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Hello, we have answers for your Volvo-related questions!. Why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums. Together we can make our Volvo community a better place.
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do you like Volvo-Forums.com? Link to us and help spread the word about our forum. Thanks!
> Srs Airbag Service Urgent And Other Crazy Things!
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 19 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,994
Drives: 2004 Volvo XC70, 2005 Volvo T5 AWD

Hello all...

Ok, this one is crazy: was driving today and my dome light suddenly came on. Then I noticed a bunch of lights in the dash with the Traction Control Problem message in the display. Then immediately followed by the SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT. Then my gas gauge drops to 0. Then my wipers are stuck on. Then my signal lights stop working. Then my key fob doesn't let me lock or unlock the car. Then my climate control temperature isn't working properly. Then my hatch doesn't open. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

As much as I love this car, it's getting the best of me time wise for repairs and $$$ as well. Blah...

I am searching around on the forums, but would appreciate some help if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks!!
-Mitch
2005 V50 T5 AWD
Go to the top of the page

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 19 2012, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Senior Veteran

Member No.: 74,889
Drives: volvo 940 se turbo 1991

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 19 2012, 06:52 PM)
Hello all...

Ok, this one is crazy: was driving today and my dome light suddenly came on. Then I noticed a bunch of lights in the dash with the Traction Control Problem message in the display. Then immediately followed by the SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT. Then my gas gauge drops to 0. Then my wipers are stuck on. Then my signal lights stop working. Then my key fob doesn't let me lock or unlock the car. Then my climate control temperature isn't working properly. Then my hatch doesn't open. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/haha.gif)

As much as I love this car, it's getting the best of me time wise for repairs and $$$ as well. Blah...

I am searching around on the forums, but would appreciate some help if anyone has seen this before.

Thanks!!
-Mitch
2005 V50 T5 AWD

check the output for your alternator and the power in your battery may be low.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 19 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 19 2012, 10:33 PM)
check the output for your alternator and the power in your battery may be low.

Thanks. I am getting 12.74V with the car not running and 13.74V with the car running. That should be fine I think?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 20 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #4

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 19 2012, 09:56 PM)
Thanks. I am getting 12.74V with the car not running and 13.74V with the car running. That should be fine I think?

switch on your lights and heating and other things with the car running now check again as it can be two things,one being power is low,and the other is your ABS relay is failing,you will find that in a small black plastic box under your ABS module,the solder in the relay starts to crack and open up due to the heat.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 20 2012, 08:14 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 20 2012, 10:10 AM)
switch on your lights and heating and other things with the car running now check again as it can be two things,one being power is low,and the other is your ABS relay is failing,you will find that in a small black plastic box under your ABS module,the solder in the relay starts to crack and open up due to the heat.

Thanks Daniel, I will check that right away. Where is the ABS module located?

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 20 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 20 2012, 09:14 AM)
Thanks Daniel, I will check that right away. Where is the ABS module located?

your module has 4 brake pipes going to it ,look in your engine bay, it can be on the left or right hand side you at the front of the car, the pipes are on the top of the module, look down under that module to see the black box.in the box is your relay.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 20 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 20 2012, 10:23 AM)
your module has 4 brake pipes going to it ,look in your engine bay, it can be on the left or right hand side you at the front of the car, the pipes are on the top of the module, look down under that module to see the black box.in the box is your relay.

I juste cleaned all battery terminals, turned everything on the car and was getting 13.84V going to the battery.

I checked for the module and found 2 brake lines going underneight my battery, so looks like I would have to take the battery out and the battery tray to get at it.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 20 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #8

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 20 2012, 09:38 AM)
I juste cleaned all battery terminals, turned everything on the car and was getting 13.84V going to the battery.

I checked for the module and found 2 brake lines going underneight my battery, so looks like I would have to take the battery out and the battery tray to get at it.

should be 4 brake lines, not two ,going to your module.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 26 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #9

I had taken my DIM out from the dash and brought it over to a local electronics shop in order to have all of the connections resoldered. They did that and checked everything out. I reinstalled it today and unfortunately, all of the same symptoms are still there.

I made an appointment to the dealer for Friday morning. They are 2hrs away from me. We'll see how that goes!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 26 2012, 09:36 PM
Post #10

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 26 2012, 08:25 PM)
I had taken my DIM out from the dash and brought it over to a local electronics shop in order to have all of the connections resoldered. They did that and checked everything out. I reinstalled it today and unfortunately, all of the same symptoms are still there.

I made an appointment to the dealer for Friday morning. They are 2hrs away from me. We'll see how that goes!

as i said i think the trouble is your ABS relay so get them look at that.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 27 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 26 2012, 11:36 PM)
as i said i think the trouble is your ABS relay so get them look at that.

Thanks Daniel. It sits underneight my battery, so I took that out this evening. Took the battery box out and I saw where it was, although it does sit behind this plastic separator on the firewall, so I really couldn't get at it easily.

Can that relay be repaired? If not, what do you think the replacement cost would be?

We'll see what they say!

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 28 2012, 05:16 AM
Post #12

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 27 2012, 09:58 PM)
Thanks Daniel. It sits underneight my battery, so I took that out this evening. Took the battery box out and I saw where it was, although it does sit behind this plastic separator on the firewall, so I really couldn't get at it easily.

Can that relay be repaired? If not, what do you think the replacement cost would be?

We'll see what they say!

you would be better to replace it,but to repair it,would mean to take off the cover on the relay,then resolder the contacts ,as they crack open due to the heat,think it would be cheaper to replace it,try this FCP Groton on this site,or on ebay.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 28 2012, 09:29 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 28 2012, 07:16 AM)
you would be better to replace it,but to repair it,would mean to take off the cover on the relay,then resolder the contacts ,as they crack open due to the heat,think it would be cheaper to replace it,try this FCP Groton on this site,or on ebay.

I'm at the dealer now and the car has been in for about 1hr. They just brought me in the shop to see the tech and he told me that the entire low voltage network was down. There are 8 modules on that and he's going to unplug them 1 by 1 and see if he can find the one that is the issue.

He said if that doesn't work, then there is a short in the wiring harness somewhere, which I define as trying to find a needle in a haystack!

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 28 2012, 03:12 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 28 2012, 11:29 AM)
I'm at the dealer now and the car has been in for about 1hr. They just brought me in the shop to see the tech and he told me that the entire low voltage network was down. There are 8 modules on that and he's going to unplug them 1 by 1 and see if he can find the one that is the issue.

He said if that doesn't work, then there is a short in the wiring harness somewhere, which I define as trying to find a needle in a haystack!

Just got back from driving 2hrs to and from the dealer and spending about 4hrs there.

The tech seems to make sense and I can't fault him for his thinking as it is pretty methodical. After about 1hr, they came to get me and told me that basically all of my low voltage communication link was down. The main CEM is working fine.

In order to properly diagnose, he would have to check each of the 8 modules/computers in order to see if there was an issue with them. I told him to go ahead and then let me know how that went.

After about 1.5hrs, they came back and told me that all the modules tested fine. The next step would be that there is something in the wiring perhaps to them that isn't working. He advised me that sometimes there were issues with door connections and that was the first thing he checked and mine was fine.

At each of these steps, they would let me go in the shop and discuss directly with the tech.

Since I couldn't stay longer, I told him to just make the car direveable for me until I figure out that I wanted to do. He said that he would remove the rear seat to get at the main wiring harness going back there as well as start removing some of the carpeting at the driver's side seat/footweel and check that as well. I told him that I would remove the seat and the carpeting, etc. to save that for next time.

SO, good news is that it seems the CEM is fine as well as the modules (including my DIM and the ABS relay) tested out fine. Bad news is that it's all labour in trying to find what is going on.

I asked him if he had seen this before on these cars and he told me that was quite rare on this model, but others this had happened on.

The bill today was $311.50 plus taxes.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 28 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #15

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 28 2012, 04:12 PM)
Just got back from driving 2hrs to and from the dealer and spending about 4hrs there.

The tech seems to make sense and I can't fault him for his thinking as it is pretty methodical. After about 1hr, they came to get me and told me that basically all of my low voltage communication link was down. The main CEM is working fine.

In order to properly diagnose, he would have to check each of the 8 modules/computers in order to see if there was an issue with them. I told him to go ahead and then let me know how that went.

After about 1.5hrs, they came back and told me that all the modules tested fine. The next step would be that there is something in the wiring perhaps to them that isn't working. He advised me that sometimes there were issues with door connections and that was the first thing he checked and mine was fine.

At each of these steps, they would let me go in the shop and discuss directly with the tech.

Since I couldn't stay longer, I told him to just make the car direveable for me until I figure out that I wanted to do. He said that he would remove the rear seat to get at the main wiring harness going back there as well as start removing some of the carpeting at the driver's side seat/footweel and check that as well. I told him that I would remove the seat and the carpeting, etc. to save that for next time.

SO, good news is that it seems the CEM is fine as well as the modules (including my DIM and the ABS relay) tested out fine. Bad news is that it's all labour in trying to find what is going on.

I asked him if he had seen this before on these cars and he told me that was quite rare on this model, but others this had happened on.

The bill today was $311.50 plus taxes.

so did they say what was wrong.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Sep 30 2012, 07:48 AM
Post #16

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 29 2012, 12:49 AM)
so did they say what was wrong.

They mentioned probably a wire to one of the 8 modules, or a connector. A pain to trace and $$ on labour!
As of now, I still can't drive my car because my turn signals don't work.

QuoteReply
danielm85948
post Sep 30 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #17

Senior Veteran

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Sep 30 2012, 08:48 AM)
They mentioned probably a wire to one of the 8 modules, or a connector. A pain to trace and $$ on labour!
As of now, I still can't drive my car because my turn signals don't work.

well that can be the switch,or the relay,or your fuse, but i would say check the connector.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Oct 1 2012, 06:27 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (danielm85948 @ Sep 30 2012, 10:08 AM)
well that can be the switch,or the relay,or your fuse, but i would say check the connector.

Yes, looks like the fun is only beginning. They are going to look at the line going to the rear of the car, if everything there is fine, then it will rule out the rear. Then they will focus on the front modules.

QuoteReply
Mitch Pelletier
post Oct 3 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (Mitch Pelletier @ Oct 1 2012, 08:27 AM)
Yes, looks like the fun is only beginning. They are going to look at the line going to the rear of the car, if everything there is fine, then it will rule out the rear. Then they will focus on the front modules.

So apparently, perhaps someone (not me, honest) had played in there before (I've had the car for 2.5yrs) and got them messed up while closing the cam on the connector.

Crazy eh?????

With regards to my battery light being on for approx. 1 year (about a few days after I installed the Volvo alternator), they traced it back to a problem on the alternator and said that it need to be replaced. I told them I had bought an original Volvo alternator and asked when the warranty was. They said it was 2yrs/unlimited mileage on parts only as I had installed it myself. SO, as long as I can find my receipt, they will give me a $523 alternator! I don't mind putting it in myself.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

QuoteReply
derbyshire007
post Oct 6 2012, 01:28 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 111,587
Drives: 2006 volvo v50 2.0d

Hi There

I have a 2006 v50 estate 2.0d, and just like yours mine came up with srs service urgent aswell as trailer service urgent and the electric windows, electric mirrors and the central locking all stopped working.

after looking on various forums and help sites today i thought it was going to me a main dealer fix at great expense, but after a quick chat with my brother he said it sounds like a BODY CONTROL MODULE issue, after further looking on the internet i found this to be located in the passenger footwell beneath the glove box.i took out all the relays cleaned and replaced all the fuses and some of the problems had dissappeared, i rechecked all the connections and wiggled the unit as i put it back and all of my issues have been fixed. sounds like you have a similar problem and you might be able to fix it like i did in 10 mins flat without any expensive garage bills its got to be worth a go. heres what faults my care came up with :-

srs airbag service urgent
trailer electric service urgent
electric windows not working
electric mirrors not working
central locking not working

its sorted out all my problems so id recommend checking this module in the passenger footwell good luck with your issues hopefully mine are now sorted cheers jon

QuoteReply
« Next Oldest Volvo V50 Forum Next Newest »
  Advanced Search

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Get your Volvo listed in the Garage Today, for FREE, to share with the world what you drive and what toys and modifications you have.

Collapse

> Similar Topics

Topic Replies Topic Starter Views Last Action
No New Posts Service Items
0 Sir Topham Hatt 143 29th September 2014 - 08:41 PM
Last post by: Sir Topham Hatt
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvos
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 487 4th August 2014 - 07:17 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts Service Diagrams For Volvo Vehicles
Information only
0 YesNoMebbeSo 302 4th August 2014 - 07:16 PM
Last post by: YesNoMebbeSo
No New Posts Srs Light Drains Battery
srs light comes on until I beat on dash
1 wyoben 261 5th July 2014 - 09:58 PM
Last post by: danielm85948
No New Posts Srs Module Internal Fault
SRS urgent service light on
0 Fernando 388 4th April 2014 - 11:26 AM
Last post by: Fernando

> Link To Us
If you found our site useful please link to us <a href="http://www.volvo-forums.com">Volvo-Forums.com</a>.

Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 04:41 AM
© 2004 Volvo-forums.com
Volvo-Forums.com is not affiliated with or endorsed by Volvo Car Corporation.
Privacy Statement